Amp Help Needed

Bronze Member
Username: Bobbarker241

New britain, Ct United states

Post Number: 12
O.K. guys, heres the deal. I got a Kicker kx700.5 985 watt max power amp, and a Clarion sw12x 600 w 12" is the sub im trying to power. I got the amp all wired and it powers up correctly. What I'm intending on doing is taking the signal from an existing stock speaker already installed in the car. I was told this could be done by inputing that signal to the high level input on the amp. The problem is I got no output to my sub when I tried this.
There is two high level inputs on the amp: one labeled front, and the other back. Each has four lead wires coming out(two red, and two black). I have a positive and negative wire coming from the stock speaker. Then I have six outputs from the amp (2 front, 2back, and sub) (I wish i had a digital camera!) I tried wiring the positive and negative from the speaker to the front high level input. Then hooked the sub up to the front output, and no sound. Can anyone please help me wire this? Thank you for your patience, and any help is appreciated.

Username: Guitarrc6

San jose, Ca

Post Number: 1
hey, i had a pos kragen sub that i think was kinda the same thing. what i did was wire the positive from the speaker together with the red wires from the high frequency. (i think there is two wires so that you can have stero sound. so if you wanna cut both your rear speaker wires you can to get stereo sound instead of mono.)i wired the blacks together and grounded them. i dunno which one (front or back) to use, but i'm guessing use the one on the side with the sub. Hopefully this helps!!!!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 13
I tried this, and theres still no sound. Could this mean that the amp is blown? How would I go about testing the amp?

Silver Member
Username: Byrumjr

Post Number: 273
Some amps have a switch on the amp that say's front /back. Make sure it on what you have the sub wired to. Hook up both high level input on the amp. One to the right and the other to the left. Try each one and see if it works. The front channel may be blown.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 14
O.K. tried that and still no sound. I tried the sub elsewhere so I know its not the sub, and Im certain I'm getting a signal from the existing speaker. What would happen if I connected the existing speaker signal to the normal input on the amp instead of the high level input? I think I would need a pre-amp level converter, but would this possibly fix the problem. Otherwise, how can I test my amp to be sure it works? Thanks

Bronze Member

Post Number: 15
How much does it cost to repair an amp roughly?

Bronze Member
Username: Thrushdtd

New York

Post Number: 54
ive seen it for 80

Bronze Member

Post Number: 16
Any way to tell if it needs to be repaired without taking it to a repair shop? I dont know if things a just hooked up wrong or what.

Silver Member
Username: Marley289

Post Number: 188
you should just bring it to a shop like circuit city or best buy....they have a bench test that they can put it on to see if it works. it usually doesnt cost anything either (well at least it didnt for me) if it doesnt work then send it in to kicker, they will repair it for prolly $80 or so

Bronze Member

Post Number: 17
I had the Amp checked out, and apparently it works. I baught a line level converter because they didnt test the high level input so I thought that may be the problem. I hooked everything up, and still no sound. The amp powers up, so its not a power or ground issue. I tested the signal coming from the existing speaker, and that definatly works. I played with all the knobs and settings on the amp, and nothing helps. What is wrong?? This is getting frustrating! Thanks for any help.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us