ABC enclosure with pics

Silver Member
Username: Geekbike

Post Number: 118
Finally got it off my camera.

Upload

5cuft for a 15" SS RL-p. Tuning at 27 and 54hz.

I'll upload the installed pics tomm.

Gold Member
Username: Subfanatic

Walton, Ky

Post Number: 4121
whoa, whbats going on here, r u sure thats an abc boox

Silver Member
Username: Addicted2bass

Miami, Florida USA

Post Number: 778
yup thats an ABc enclousre..just with round ports

Gold Member
Username: Insearchofbass

Post Number: 2537
he must have it sized down lol because that doesnt look like 5.5 cf lol

Gold Member

Post Number: 2538
5 cf my bad

Gold Member

Post Number: 2539
heres a good post on an abc box

Check this out:

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
posted 07-25-99 12:01 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ok, here it comes one time! I only explain these in detail once a year (I make $$ on them )
For that DVC 15. Build a box with 2 chambers, one at 3 cuft and the other one EXACTLY half of that, ie 1.5 cuft. Next cut 3 ports all IDENTICAL in length. Put one in the face of each chamber and the third in the wall separating the two chambers. In this instance each port would be either 12.5" long for a little deeper response or 8" long for a little more SPL.
Now you have a box with a big chamber with a vent in it, a small chamber with a vent in it, and a third vent in the wall between the two. The woofer also mounts in the large chamber.
The way they work is that, at low frequencies, it all functions as one big box with 2 ports, and is tuned to 30Hz (12.5") or 35HZ (8"). At higher frequencies the middle port starts to restrict air movement and the second chamber begins to act more as a resonance chamber but not as part of the box. At this point a second tuning frequency develops 1.9 times (almost an octave) higher than the lower one , ie. either at 57Hz (12.5") or 67Hz (8").
This is similar to a vented bandpass but has more output and smoother sound due to the woofer not being tucked inside the box. The results are that it plays both low and loud, while being relatively nice sounding. The drawback is the box size.
Did one 2 years ago in a sedan with 1 12 on 400 watts and pulled a 138 on music. There's a guy around here with 2 DVC 15s like this in a Daytona off a single 800a2 pulling 149s.
They work but can be intense to build. They are the ONLY box I take care to factor exactly both port displacement and woofer displacement. Mess one of these up and they work very poorly....

------------------

And that's the bottom line, cuz:
LORD DUKK SAYS SO!

The Big Show
The Dukk says: Know your bass: PORT your damn box!!
Have HoleSaw, Will Travel!

I found it HERE , possibly the mother of all ABC threads. Most of it isn't very usefull, but it does illustrate some of the points we have been pondering.

I have quoted some of the high points for quick reference.

[ 10-06-2004, 07:25 PM: Message edited by: -Chaos- ]

Gold Member

Post Number: 2540
the site i got this from if your intrested for more http://forum.sounddomain.com/forum/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=11;t=073332;p=1#000021

copy and paste link in another window it will work

Silver Member
Username: Geekbike

Post Number: 119
Inner dimensions are 27.75 x 15.5 x 22.5 (excluding the center baffle). Size limit on the MB is less than 600x600, so it was scaled down to fit.

Silver Member
Username: Tdeaton1021

Near Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 534
thanks for that info sean. althought isnt it missing one thing.... whats the diameter of the ports? it tells you the lengths but not the diameter... but with how, well not easy, but general, those dimensions are i might build one for my avalanche 15... i just need to know the port diameter and then make them a little longer to bring the tuning frequency down right?

Silver Member

Near Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 535
and those braces arent absolutely necessary right?....

Silver Member

Near Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 536
if i can do this im thinking about tuing the 3cuft chamber to 20hz and the 1.5cuft chamber to 35... or maybe 38hz...or should i do higher? i think to do so i need to make a 3in dia. ports... make the one in the 3cuft chamber 13.68 inchs long... and the one in the 1.5cuft chamber 8.17in for 35hz...6.6in for 38hz... but about the port connecting the 2 chamber... do i leave that the same as the port for the 3cuft chamber?

this pvc abc boxes look more comprehensible but yet im still confused... i need to borrow your brain sean.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2542
trevor from what im seeing it actually depends on whats called the thiel small specs how large the abc enclosure needs to be for chamber one and chamber 2 ....I actully let that info here for the more technical info oh how the box works

Gold Member

Post Number: 2543
on how i meant

Silver Member

Near Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 540
a program just said the minimum diameter i could use was 8.61 inches.... isnt that huge? cant i use smaller... what diameter pvc did u use knacko? and what did that guy use in ur info u put up sean?

Silver Member

Near Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 541
okay.... i guess im back to a regular ported box lol... they are confusing enough to me as it is

Silver Member

Near Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 542
some day when i have money to blow im going to build a ABC box and hope i get it right and see how it sounds lol

Gold Member

Post Number: 2544
heres a tutorial then i gotta go check my car windows its raining ill check on your ports for you when i get back
http://www.caraudio.com/vb/showthread.php?t=39790

Silver Member

Near Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 543
thanks sean,... that tutorial helps... i just wish some1 had already made one for a 15 avalanche so i could just build to their specs lol... im afraid to try and mess up and blow all that money.... if i was rich id sponser you and watch you build a box 20 times trying to get it perfect just os i could watch and learn lol

Silver Member

Near Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 545
but i have to go... thanks for your help sean

Gold Member

Post Number: 2545
ill map you one out but i doubt its gonna be a flat curve but ill get it as close as possible

Username: Nopidy

Post Number: 3
lol, srry for the newb question but wut does an ABC enclosure do?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us