Stereo wont stay on

Username: Mbykat

Post Number: 1
Hey guys,

I was wondering if you could help me out with trying to discover the problem with my car stereo. Ever since I replaced my factory radio with what is now 2 store bought cd players, the stereo likes to cut on and off all the time. I have a 92 honda accord EX. If I play my music at a low volume, it tends to stay on longer, but as soon as I turn up the volume the stereo turns on and off repeatedly until I turn the volume back down. Sometimes it does it with low volume as well. If I am driving fast it tends not to do it as much as well. If I drive over 45 mph the stereo is pretty good. I have had the battery and the alternator tested. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Mike

Silver Member
Username: Panache

Brenham, TX US

Post Number: 122
I'm having the same prob with my amp. Its good as long and its low but when I turn it up a tad its shuts off. I got the JL 500.1 from the pawn shop for $289. The JL dealer siad its a bad amp because the low ohm lights comes on and he'll sell me a new one for $599. I noticed that the light never comes on, the amp just shuts off. I THINK my prob is my alternator but since you had yours tested, I do not know what the tell ya

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 3193
Mike, do you have an external amp in your car? When your stereo shuts down, does anything else blink? Like your lights?
What is the brand/model of your stereo?

Jason, who installed your JL amp? What is the gain/level set at? What is the model/make of your stereo?

Silver Member
Username: Panache

Brenham, TX US

Post Number: 126
My amp was installed by a co-worker. I went and had my box professionally made and the installer at Tweeter said everything was wired correctly. The gain is set 1/4 of the way and my unit is Alpine CDA-7893

Username: Mbykat

Post Number: 2
Hey, it turns out the grounding wire for the stereo wasn't wired right, at least thats what the guys at circuit city told me. Seems to have solved the problem, thanks for the help though.

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 3196
Jason, look in owner's manual of Alpine. Find the RCA preout voltage. Most are 4v, but if you have one of those that is 8v, then the gain on the amp has to be set accordingly.
95% of the time when an amp shuts down, it's caused by signal overload. A bad power wire can also have similar effect.
What wire gauge did you use for the install? What are your fuse sizes?

Username: Mdaycock

Post Number: 2
My 1991 accord lx has started having problems with the stock stereo. When I turn it on, there is only loud static. None of the controls work. The display says Cd, but there is no changer. I disconnected and reconnected the battery ground, but no change. Any suggestions?

Unregistered guest
My girlfriend is haveing the same problem.... Her car stereo will either just shut off, or come back on randomly, and alot of the time, its just a loud buzz coming out of all the speakers...... I was thinking it was possibly the ground wire, but I unhooked the ground, and grounded it to the frame..... if it was the ground that would have fixed it right? And I know its not the stereo, because I put in my old stereo when she first started having the problem...... and circuit city wants 50$ an hour, with a 2 hour Min...... screw that..... Any help anyone? Thanks.

killerzracing
Unregistered guest
me 2 i was playing with my Alpine Cda-7897 radio hooked up a third speaker to it just to here it.

the only reson i went to the garage was to make the power wire larger because the light would dim on the hu.

so guess what happend when i cranked it up to max volume......it cut out i got scared for a minute then it came on. confused i put the 2 wires togheter it shut off instanly i thought that was the problem wrong it didnt no matter what.

so i turned the car on guess what it wouldnt shut off turned the MX (loud) on it still worked but the MX would cut the radio off quick those other times

so what it think is that your...i mean fix is a better charging system, larger wires, or keep the volume down(yeah right)

my car a 50-65 amp alternator so i know i cant crank off that i wanting to run a second alternator just for audio

heres my car http://www.torinocobra.com/guest_htm/travis_johnson.htm

yes it is mine my dad bought it but im doing my thing with it

Bronze Member
Username: Erreertt

Post Number: 26
ur subs are probably a bigger ohm than the amp can hold like a 2 ohm stereo stable amp cant handle 1 ohm subs the amp will kick off on hard hits
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us