Bigger Diameter = Bigger Sound.....right?

2000 S10
Unregistered guest
I have an Alpine 40x4 amp that's powering a pair of Polk 4x6's and a pair of Polk 6.5's in my S10 Pickup. The 4x6's are in my dash and the 6.5's are in my doors.

The dash speakers are considered my "front" and the door speakers my "rear", as far as the head unit is concerned. I would have thought that I'd be getting more sound out of the bigger speakers which are in the door, but I'm not. The 4x6's are louder...is that because they're considered the "front"? The gain on my amp is set at the same level for both pairs of speakers. I just figured I'd be getting a louder, clearer sound out of the bigger speakers. Am I missing something here? Should I make the dash speakers my "rear" speakers?

Silver Member
Username: Kklagge

Post Number: 178
2 reasons for this....the dash speakers are closer to your ears & the 6.5's should take more power to operate than the 4x6's do.

Try fading (on the HU) the sound more toward your "rear" speakers and this should help even the sound out

2000 S10
Unregistered guest
Yeah, I did that and it helped out a little. Are CD players automatically more biased towards the "Front" set as opposed to the "rear" set?

Silver Member
Username: Kklagge

Post Number: 180
No they are not

Silver Member
Username: Jeremyc

Germany

Post Number: 715
2000 S10, I had a 99 S 10 and I didn't run the dash speakers, and it sounded great. I had a Boston Acoustic Pro component set with the 6.5s in the door, and the tweeters mounted about 5 inches forward of the mid in the kick panel. It sounded great and everyone thought I was still running something in the dash. So if your really tired of the dash speakers overpowering everything look into a set up close to mine. I would even take some double sided tape and play with the tweeter location till you find something you like.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us