Subs cone's are getting warm. Is this bad?

Gold Member
Username: Taylor17

Kopperl, Texas

Post Number: 1917
I notice when I play my subs for a long time... cranked up, usually to rap so the subs are pounden, I notice the cone's are warm.
I thought that ment that it was getting close to its thermal rating or something like that.
I have the Rockford P8002 amp going to 2 10 inch RF HX2's. They are 500 rms, and I'm giving them 400 rms. At least thats what the amps specs say.:-)

Gold Member
Username: Subfanatic

Walton, Ky

Post Number: 4039
doesnt that mean that its starting to burn up your vcs

Gold Member

Kopperl, Texas

Post Number: 1927
I sure as hell hope not!

Gold Member

Walton, Ky

Post Number: 4041
i think so, we hooked up a infinity reference sub my friend has and hooked it up to 2 ohms bridged on my interfire amp and it started getting REAL hott on the cnoe and started to smell

Silver Member
Username: Alpineuser

Winchester, TN

Post Number: 394
is it getting really hot? it may be a 800w rms amp but if u start to clip it will produce almost double that and if your subs are at full excursion at the 800w rms power then they wont have any extra air flow with the increase in power to help cool them

Gold Member

Kopperl, Texas

Post Number: 1929
Well, I haven't noticed any smell.
You think I should start trying to sell them to some kid around where I live, and start looking for a new pair? I sure hope you're rong.:-)

Gold Member

Walton, Ky

Post Number: 4045
i could easily be wrong, you need a more knowledgeable person on here to help ya, this was just my 2 cents and my expierience. could be totally unrelated, lets hope so

Silver Member

Winchester, TN

Post Number: 395
if you play your subs for an extended period of time they will start to heat up its just natural no matter how much cooling a sub has the box will still start to warm up eventually. and then the air that is cooling the sub starts to heat up just how hot is it getting

Gold Member

Kopperl, Texas

Post Number: 1930
Not extreemly hot, just warm. I have noticed that they do seem like they sound like they bottom out a lot.

Gold Member

Kopperl, Texas

Post Number: 1931
This is in about 30/1 hour.

Silver Member

Winchester, TN

Post Number: 397
i think you should be fine. just turn your gains down some and see what happens with them might not sound as lound but it will stop you from clipping your amp as much and reaching the mechanical limits of your subs. However you could just sell them and buy a single kick @ss sub :-)

Gold Member

Kopperl, Texas

Post Number: 1932
It isn't like too hot to tutch, but it's like wow, these are getting warm.

Gold Member

Kopperl, Texas

Post Number: 1933
I'm not using any gain. The amp has the remote gain nob, but I keep that turned all the way off.
I'd love to sell the 2 10's and buy like a x.x.x but its in a extended cab and I'd have to build a new box, and it would be hard to fit a 12 under the backseat.:-)

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 3154
Taylor17, if your cones are getting hot, it's a sign that it's getting too much power. The problem with amps are, at flat setting, with given volts, it might produce 800w. But if you raise the bass boost or any bass enhancing device, it'll also increase the output power.
I have not experienced any heating problem with my subs.
As you long as you supply clean power into the amp along with correctly set gain/level, you shouldn't have any issues.
Distortion/clipping is the #1 reason for burnt subs/voice coils.

Gold Member

Kopperl, Texas

Post Number: 1943
Well, the only thing I have turned up is the settings in my HU. Other than that all the amp settings like the gain are all the way down.

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 3157
Taylor17, instead of turning the gain down all the way, set it properly, and set the controls on your HU to flat.
If you notice, most of the distortion/clipping will come from the HU (assuming you have a decent amp).

Gold Member

Kopperl, Texas

Post Number: 1947
What do you mean set the controles to flat? Also how do I set the gain, I have the Pioneer Premeer 660 if that helps. I know you get that question all the time.
Thanks for the help.

Username: Dudesjar

North Dakota

Post Number: 3
your amp should be what controlls the bass that goes to your sub, when you turn it all the way up it will clip the sound (cut of the top slopes of the sound waves). this is very bad, b/c your sub will play the slopes but then just stay extended out on the clipped part of the wave. but anyway turn your eq's flat, then turn your stereo to normal listening volume, but turn your gain down on your amp, then slowly turn it up till your sub doesnt get any louder, kinda hard to do, but its what must be done. also if you wanna know if your sub is blown (well works goot for singleing out a blown sub, that is to take a couple plastic bags and put them over your head and put your head up to the sub, just to listen. a blown sub will make the bag sound different. but anyway, rockford only uses spruce pulp for their cones, but then it goes into a plastic (if newer) or into a finished pulp cone. the pulp will transfer the heat and you'll feel it. i had a pair and went thru that. i never blew them, but if your subs dont smell like normal (not stinky like burnt wires) then there starting to fry, and your clipping your sound. but once they smell its pretty much to late. but just smell the vent holes in the magnets and if it doesnt smell right then their fried!

Gold Member

Kopperl, Texas

Post Number: 1950
What do you mean turn them flat?
Also, my Hu's voltage is 2, so isn't that what my gain should be set at?

North Dakota

Post Number: 5
the bass and trebel or any equalizer on your deck. So turn your bass to zero, then adjust your amp accordingly. The 2v output means that your amp should be adjusted to 2v to avoid clipping. like i said the best way to determine it, unless everything is digital, is to turn your gain down and your music to your normal listening level. Then you turn your gain slightly up till your sub doesnt get any louder when you turn it up. then turn it back just a little bit. this will set your amp to the right gain level. then i turn my bass boost up and adjust my lp filter to where it sounds ideal, but i have an alpine amp and they sound awesome, but only when you tune them right. normally takes a couple times, but when you hit the sweet spot its unbelieveable. specially with a 350w monoblock lol.

Gold Member

Kopperl, Texas

Post Number: 1954
Ok... I'll do that.

North Dakota

Post Number: 9
oh yea one thing i wanted to ask is, 1. are they 2 ohm per coil?, and 2 if they are 4 do you have them run in paralell or series. the ideal setup for that amp would be 2 hx2's that are 2 ohm per coil, then you run the voice coil's in series, but then run the subs in paralell. so you have a wire going from the negative of one coil on one sub going to the other positive (sorry if im insulting your intelligence), then do the same for the other. then you run a wire to the positive and negative of one sub then from there to the positive and negative to the other sub. this would give you a "4 ohm load". But if your running your amp in less than a 4 ohm load you will be pushing more power and its causing your coils to get too warm. this would be why your subs are heating up. but if you have a 4 ohm load, then it would most likely be from clipping. Hope this helps!

Gold Member

Kopperl, Texas

Post Number: 1970
They are 4 ohm dvc, wired to 2 ohms each, and it isn't bridged... no need.

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 4054
Do you have a voltmeter? You can get a pretty accurate gain setting that way. Paper coned subs tend to build up a little more heat anyway. Sealed box subs run hotter, especially on hot days. The outside temperature will do the same to cones. There are a lot of factors to take into account, with you living in Texas you know what heat and humidity is.

Gold Member

Kopperl, Texas

Post Number: 1977
Lol, yup it gets pretty hot... and we have 100% humidity this morning.
No I don't have a voltmeter, and my subs aren't paper... some kind of plastic, think its called something like fiberlock.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us