Fishy or Isaac- Gunslinger needs your help!!

Username: Gunslinger

Post Number: 4
Fishy or Isaac:
Have noticed you guys have knowledgable well thought out post.

Not calling you out in negative way, but seek your expertise on post labeled: "Rockford Fosgate, Zapco, PPI-value, flexibility, etc."

I value your thoughts and opinions on a build out.
G-Slinger

Gold Member
Username: James1115

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 3310
older RF is fantastic stuff(80's and 90's) PPI older stuff is fantastic stuff (90's-2003) zapco is GREAT stuff.
as far as flexability it all depends on what you are trying to accomplish with them.

Post Number: 6
James-Appreciate the post.
I'm trying to design a system that'll work on a boat. It has 4 speakers. Two stock that I may replace- but hard to reach, two clarions that I may ultimately replace below driver/passenger under dash-if you will. Looking to potentially add another group of speakers above.
Looking for ideas on how to spend most wisely on value while maintaining flexibility. Have seen lots of amps and my head is starting to hurt. Looking for thoughts on how to best design a system that'll grow so I don't make a mess of things.
Am open to hear all design thoughts from all knowledgable folks.
Thx,
G-Slinger

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 3093
G-Slinger, the system design will depend on your budget. If money isn't a problem, then I'd start with Zapco C2K 6.0 for your components and Zapco C2K 9.0 for subs if desired.
You can't go wrong with that setup. Unlike JL audio, Zapco isn't overrated in price nor performance. You get what you pay for.

If Zapco is out of your price range, then PPI/Xtant is your next choice. They give great value for the money.
PPI PC/PCX series or White Art series will meet or exceed any expectations you may have. They produce excellent sound quality at a very fair price. Xtants are a bit more costly, but will give you crystal clear sound. I have owned and tested both. I highly recommend them.
If you know anyone selling Orion HCCA G4 amps, then grab them. Not only are they rare to find, they will give as much satisfaction as Zapco amps, but at a fraction of the cost.
If getting at your stock speakers is impossible, you can always drill a hole on the grill and remove it. Sure it'll wreck the speaker, but it will get it out and it's a cheap crap anyways.
Always try and get it out properly if possible, but that is an alternative.
If you check the eBay, you should be able to find some "outdoor" speakers that is weather proof. If none of them are high quality, you can always purchase the boxing/casing and install your own speaker inside.
Achieving high quality sound always take time and lot of manual labour. So don't ruch in.

Post Number: 8
Isaac-Thank you so much for your thoughts.

I've read many of your posts and they have been well received by many including me.

Some in the posts have indicated looking to the 6-channel amplifier. Appears power diminishes, but certainly create future flexibility.

Agreed on the stock speakers. They're in the side panels moldings which would mean a lot of labor as you indicated. It may be a project for the post-summer.

The comapany names are helpful. If you know pricing or how to keep from getting killed I'd appreciate any thoughts you've got. I'll keep an eye out and begin researching the names you've provided while also keeping an eye out for any future posts you might include about thoughts regarding the 6 channel amps.

As well, any thoughts on the configuration (bridging) for best use of the equipment?

Thanks again for your posts. I hope specifically appealing to you in the title is not offensive or appropriate on the board.

Appreciate you sharing your knowledge!
G-Slinger

Gold Member

Post Number: 3097
Asking for help is never offensive, so don't worry.
I've seen some 6 channel amps, but to me, they're not worth the money.
First of all, 6 channel amps are low powered and come in a large casing. Not very practical. You'd be better off getting 4 channel amp plus a 2nd if needed. Most 4 channel amps nowdays will support 5 channel mode. This is accomplished by combining channels 3 & 4 into a bridged mode for subs, while powering the rears at the same time.

Here are some price estimates of the amps:
Zapco C2K 6: $700 - $1200
Zapco C2K 9: $900 - $1300
PPI PC/PCX 4 channel amps: $250 - $380
Xtant 4 channel amp: $150 - $400

The prices near the high end are either new or in "new" condition.

Post Number: 9
Thanks again! Your expertise has been most helpful.
Doing some reseach on each one. Noticing the Zapco has a Symbilink cable/cord you've probably got to have to maximize its abilities.

Do any of the other have these types of extras to watch out to ensure I get all accessories to make them work properly? Been looking at e-bay and company sites b/t posts to learn more quickly.

Appreciate your thoughts on 6-ch amps. Thought they appeared to be underpowered, but wasn't sure if experienced people figured out to conduct some form of bridging to offset the lower powering.

Appreciate it again!
G-Slinger

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 4010
Zapco's Reference series doesn't require Symbilink, although you can use it. The C2k series only accepts Symbilink, but it's a good deal more money and by that point you'll be serious enough (as it's very expensive) to buy Zapco processing anyway.

As far as 6 channels, I can't find ANY over 50x6. I swore there was one I saw 100x6 and reasonable size, but I must've had a brain f@rt (or still having one :-)). Anyway, a combo of a 4 ch and 2 ch will be great, you could also do two 4 channels, one for the smaller speakers, and one with the fronts dedicated to the towers, and use the rear channels to power a subwoofer if that's the way you want to go in the future.

Post Number: 10
Thoughts?
ISAAC-
Wanting to get feel for take on the following:

1.)Precision Power PPI AMP PCX-4125 4 Ch 1000W @$350 + 33.00 shipping. (New)

2)ORION HCCA225 G4 AMP @$230 + 24.00 shipping/ins (reburbished).

3)Zapco C2K-3.0X (used) lost bottom plate and no line driver or sybilink cables. $299 + $30? shipping. Sounds to be working fine, but exposure underneath on boat could be issue?
Nothing respectable in Xtant for under $500.

Thoughts based on your experience? Move to close deals or wait for something better?
G-Slinger

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
Jonathan-

Thanks for the thoughts! Especially since I thought I'd have to purchase more if I went Zapco.

I think b/t what you and Isaac have written I'm pretty much going to go the 4 ch route. Means I'll have to add an amp later more than likely- but seems to be best way to move. Threw a couple of thoughts just get the board's thoughts on a few I'd seen.

I'd apppreciate any thoughts you have on a move or wait approach to those I've tossed out there unless know of another model I'm not failing to consider.

Sorry to be making this painful for everyone. Would just like to get some of this settled so I can purchase and get it to shop to install in the next couple of weeks while the summer is still young.

My appreciation to all who have and continue to contribute to help me tap your knowledge and expertise!!

Thx again!
G-Slinger

Gold Member
Username: Fishy

Tamarac Ft.Laud, FL USA

Post Number: 1391
I think Isaac and Jonathan have pretty much covered everything, but if money is no object and you'd like one amp that could power a complete 4 way active system..... DaVinci!

http://www.acaraudio.com/product_info.php?manufacturers_id=26&products_id=466

http://www.soundstream.com/sub/owner_manual/OWNER%27S%20MANUALS%20AMPLIFIERS/Dav inci/davinci.pdf

Pure Class A on both the input and output stages and when you think of what you'd spend on 3 separate amps(one 4 channel for highs and mids, one 2 channel for mid bass, and one monoblock for subs) the price really ain't that bad. Its mostly a SQ amp so I'm not sure 500 watts would be enough subwoofer power for you. If you buy this monster you can pretty much forget upgrading in search of more SPL. You'd probably want to replace the whole thing instead, hehe. Its Class A as well which means 25% efficiency and a BIG alternator for a mere 1300 watt potential.

If I ever come into some money I wouldn't mind replacing my Xtant stuff(see profile) with one of these beauties. I've owned SS Class A amps in the past and really like what they do on mids and highs, especially tweets. Smoooooooooooth.

Oh and regards to old school Fosgate stuff, I've owned and used Punch 150's, 75's and 45's. Watt for watt they couldn't be beat in subwoofer applications, but I didn't like them much for powering components...... very powerful and punchy mid bass, but rather fatiguing and grainy in the tweeter area.

-Fishy

Bronze Member

Post Number: 12
Isaac, Jonathan, James, and Fishy-

I really appreciate your thoughts and counsel on all this stuff. As I wrote in my previous post and the original, these type of electronics really begin to make my head spin. Still spinning mind you- but with more information than questions than before obtaining your advice.

If you don't mind, I may periodically pop up with a posting in the future to seek your counsel again.

Thank you each so much!
G-Slinger

Gold Member
Username: James1115

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 3313
sorry I didnt respond earlier but these guys got you covered pretty well man and pop back in any time thats why we are all here:-)

Gold Member

Post Number: 3099
G Slinger, here's an excellent amp on eBay that's ending in 20 mins.

Item No: 5777867606

Gold Member

Post Number: 3100
This one is ending in 1 hour.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 13
Isaac-
Those are exactly the type of things I'm looking to see. I would step out and grab them. The px is right and the timing is perfect.

The models #'s are things not on my radar as I've kinda watched what you guys have said and somehow I missed them.

Please feel continue to post as you have periodically when you see something I should be considering. I can move most of the time.

Attending to domestic discussions, so time was a little short today.

Please, please feel continue to let me know if you items worth consideration.

If it better I'd be very welcome and ok by standards to accept an e-mail at cbn000304@earthlink.net.

I really appreciate the HELP!
G-Slinger
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us