JL 10W7 Dissapointed me!...there has to be better!

Username: Transamkid2000

Post Number: 1
Ok guys, I am new here so let me see what kinda brainiacs we have on this site. I am faced with a big problem. I spent 500 on each sub (2 10w7)and I just got a custom box( 1.1 cubic feet per chamber sealed box) made for the back of my 2000 trans am for 300 bucks...total cost=1300. I am running a 2.2 farad cap, the alpine CDA-9833, and a pheonix gold 1200.1 mono block amp. The subs are wired in 1.5 ohm setup. My big problem...ITS NOT LOUD ENOUGH!!! Damn i was expecting so much more. I had 2 12inch pheonix gold xenon subwoofers in and they hit louder! 2 12" xenon's + ghetto 150 dollar box(sealed with 1.25 cubic feet in each chamber), total cost= 500 bucks! I expected much more from JL. I spent 2 hours tuning the system with my friend who is also a car audio enthusiast, tuning the cross over's, amplifier and all my user eq's...and still...nope not as loud as the Xenon's. My new idea is to try to make the 10w7 holes into squares for 2 10" kicker L7. I want spl here and i cant fit a huge ported box...trust me, tried that. Ugh..pain in the a$$, i want to sell the W7 for 380 now, i'm so agrivated. Some one give me some advice, maybe some options! anything!
Thanks guys!

Archmage
Unregistered guest
- You should have gone for the 13w7 or 12w7
- 12/13w7 have increased xmax, powerhandling, efficiency/sensitivity, cone area, and lower Fs
- IMO, larger subs are better for these reasons

- 2 x 10w7 should still be pretty loud though...Make sure you have your wiring/impedances correct and that you're not somehow at something like 6 ohms final load.

- Have you tried it w/o the cap? Try to simplify the system to eliminate variables...then rebuild to see what went wrong.

That's about it.

Gold Member
Username: Hdubb

Farmington, Nm Usa

Post Number: 1592
another problem is the size of the box. 1.1cu ft. isnt a lot of room for a sub like that to operate. if you went up to 1.75-2 then im sure it will be louder, and if you went to a vented enclosure it would yeild higher numbers. and im not sure if that amp is regulated or unregulated, if unregulated, then those subs arent seeing as lot of power. oh and btw how do you have it wired? parallel or in a series?

Silver Member
Username: Jeremyc

Germany

Post Number: 657
1.1 isn't 2 bad for the 10. I know the 12 is rated at 1.375 sealed. Honestly I don't think your giving them enough power. I would slave in a bigger amp and see how they do. Acording to the JL site you can do a 500/1 on each of those. I would slave in a 1000/1 and see how they do. I bet you will be way happier.

BabyBrock
Unregistered guest
Something else to consider.....

Sometimes subs work better with a certain amp, or certain power output levels.

i.e I have a 13w7 connected to JBL BP1200.1 and although it did hit hard, when I connected it to a JL 1000/1, the 13w7 hit much much harder. Another example is my RE MT, connected it to US Amps 2000 and then JBL Bpx 2200.1 and was louder overall with the JBL.

Just something to think about.

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 3041
Mikey, unless you have some way of measuring the output, using only your ears can be deceiving.
For example, if you had a cheap amp/sub, it could be amplifying lot f 60Hz or above bass with lot of distortion/clipping. That will tend to appear louder than let's say high quality amp and sub combo. If a song had 30Hz deep bass, a great system would product it accurately, giving you window vibrating sound. Now if you repeated the same procedure with a cheap system, instead of giving you 30Hz, it could cut out at 40Hz mixed with lot of clipping. That would make the sub sound, sometimes 2x louder (rough estimate).
So before you get all disappointed, double check the type of sound you're getting.

Gold Member
Username: Suleman36

Post Number: 1328
I whould go with another amplifier. simple as that. Try a JL 1000/1 and feel the differance.

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 3981
Most PG amps are only stable to 2 ohms. With you running 1.5 ohm on that amp, it may cause problems. Many PG amps are designed with protection that doesn't totally cut off output as they heat up, many gradually turn down the output until the level of heat is acceptable. How much the amp reduces level depends on how hard you're straining the amp. With Alpine head units, remember to set the gain with the sub level turned up to nearly 3/4 of the way (10 or 11 would work). Alpine sub outs are weak and if you don't turn the level up, you may not get enough power from the head unit.

Silver Member
Username: Mikechec9

Chicago/atlanta

Post Number: 129
500-600 watts per sub should make your ride sound lovely w/two w7 10's. even one 10 with 500 watts would be great. w/two you have at least a 6db gain. when you get your amp situation corrected as jonathan suggests, you can't be dissapointed (unless you hear my brahmas).

Post Number: 2
I checked the wiring for it, and I disconnected, then connected the cap (better with it connected)
My amp puts out 1200 watts rms 1-4 ohms stable
check it out for yourself...
http://www.sounddomain.com/item/PHOX12001
looks good to me, maybe not?
How does it stack up against the 1000/1. I was actually going to get that when i did my whole system, but the sales man convinced me to go with this 1200/1(dang) go figure.

I was also wondering, do you think if i put in 2 10 kicker L7's, I would feel more bass? Just wondering.
Thanks again guys!

Gold Member

Post Number: 3043
Mikey, it does not say it's 1ohm stable. So if you're using it under 2ohms, then what Jonathan said applies.
It is a good amp, I wouldn't rate it better than JL though. I'm sure the guy pushed PG cause it had higher profit margin.
If all you're after is SPL, have you thought of getting one 12" or 15" in a ported box?

Username: Bmocbarker

KY

Post Number: 3
I had two 12w7's with 2 JL 1000/1's

Before I got my new system(check profile),
I switched to 1 Memphis 16-MCD1500 (500 less total watts than above!) and my SPL went from 134.1 to 141.6...I would suggest a memphis 16-MCD1000! It will hit harder and use less current than anything JL has for your subs!

Gold Member
Username: Suleman36

Post Number: 1334
Look into the CrossFire VR1000D mono amp.

www.crossfirecaraudio.com

Silver Member
Username: Tdeaton1021

Near Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 414
bmocbarker.... if your saying that you hit 134.1 with 2 12w7s and 2 1000/1 you must have been doing about everything wrong. you should reach over 140 with one 12w7 and one 1000/1.

Silver Member
Username: Tdbdrummer

Post Number: 325
"Maximum Power Output From 1 - 4 Ohms" Actually Isaac, it does say 1-4 ohms. However it doesn't give an RMS rating for 1 ohm.

Post Number: 3
OK GUYS, update. Just went to the audio store where i got the box made. Seems my car is tuned as good as i can tune it and there was a place where the wires come out of the subwoofer box that was letting air out. I had them seal it and it sounds a lot better. Also he told me to turn down my gain just a tad bit and turn down my cross overs for my mids and highs. This will allow me to turn the volume up without getting distortion right away. Seems that the pg amp isnt as good as a JL 1000/1 or the new Rockfordfonzgate 2000/1<---- ever heard of it? The weakness lies in my amp and how my current is draw from my car. He let me try a new capacitor (40 farad, not a type-o, yes 40) and I am going to hook it up right now to see how it goes. Ill post back soon!
Thanks!

Gold Member

Post Number: 3048
The amp should be fine. You're probably running out of power. Adding a larger capacitor won't help much. You really need HO alternator.

TB, that should be a big clue, 1ohm was not listed. If it was 1ohm stable, they would list it for sure. That is a very important selling point.

Silver Member
Username: Tdbdrummer

Post Number: 334
40 Farad? HEHEHEEHEHEHEHE the biggest I've seen is a 10 by Audiobahn!

Gold Member
Username: Invain

Michigan United States

Post Number: 2705
Sorry to tell you that any cap, no matter the farad isn't gonna help your system. Many ignorant people still think their caps "magically make their systems bump harder and give their amps more power"

Btw, 40 farads is rediculous. If you followed the general rule of thumb about farads, then that cap could be hooked up to a 40,000 watt system.... is your system 40,000 watts?

Post Number: 4
OK GUYS, new post called "Follow up to JL 10W7 Disappointment". Check it out and see if my final options are a good game plan...
Thanks, I appreciate it, you've been such a help!

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 3982
That particular amp is stable to 1 ohm, I was just making sure you didn't have another type of PG amp. I'll post in the other thread
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us