Reference 6000cs vs. Kappa Perfect 6.1

allende5
Unregistered guest
Has anyone compared the 6000cs against the Kappa Perfects 6.1 in an apples to apples comparison? I don't have a shop nearby that has the Kappa's installed in an ideal setup. I know the Kappas are the better speaker, but I'm just debating whether it would be worth it to upgrade my currect 6000cs for the Kappa's. "Worth it" to me would be "blown away" or "very very pleased" as apposed to "..eh, I notice a little difference".

Anyone's experience? Or perhaps another alternative to consider in the same price range as the Kappa's. Thanks.

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 3976
Big, big difference. Much more detail out of the Kappa Perfects. They are brighter, though, some people love them, others find them harsh. You'd definately notice the difference. Reference is more stock speaker replacement, Kappa Perfects are more for the serious SQ oriented people.

allende5
Unregistered guest
Awe man...I was afraid of that! :-)
Just when I thought I was done...they bring me back in!

Well there's only one thing to do. Pack that crap up it's going back! J/K! I like the 6000cs...but I will have to definately look into the Kappa's now. I'll have to find a good shop to sample them. Thanks for your input.

Silver Member
Username: Jbailey

Indianapolis, Indiana

Post Number: 102
Hey allende5, I have a set of the Kappa Perfect 6.1s and will be selling them within the next week or so if you are interested. They are in near new condition (I've had them for a couple months but they have been pampered and would be as close to new as a used speaker can get). I was actually going to sell them to another guy on this forum, but I had some issues with a guy scamming me on another set that I was buying as replacements and I didn't want the guy on here to have to wait for me to sort out that mess so he bought something else. Anyway, they sound perfect, no pun intended, and would not disappoint, if the character of sound they produce is what you prefer (as Jon said, they can sound a bit harsh/bright to some listeners including myself, which is why I'm selling). I would sell them for $150 plus actual shipping costs to buyers location. I certainly encourage you to listen to the Perfects, and if you decide that is what you want and my offer sounds intriguing, then send me a post and we can discuss it further. Thanks and good luck.

allende5
Unregistered guest
Justin, that sounds like a good deal. Email me at allende5@yahoo.com when you are ready to sell them. BTW, do you have an ebay account & paypal?

Silver Member

Indianapolis, Indiana

Post Number: 106
Hey allende5, glad to hear it. Yes, I do have accounts with ebay and Paypal. My userID on ebay is jurbaile if you would like to check my feedback. I don't have a ton of feedback, but they are all positive. I would definitely want to use Paypal also, for the convenience factor and so that you feel secure in making the payment. Anyway, I will stay in touch with you regarding the comps and let you know what's happening. I am going to try and order a different set this week and should have the Perfects ready to ship by next weekend at the latest. Thanks for your interest.

allende5
Unregistered guest
Hey Justin, BTW I forgot to mention that I also thought the 6000cs were a little on the harsh side as well. I referred to them as sounding "metallic" or "pingy". The -3db connection on the stock x-over didn't bring it down enough.

When I used to hobby on car audio back in the day (about ten years ago), I always preferred to use 3-way electronic (a.k.a. active) x-overs as opposed to any stock caps. So when I found that the passives x-overs that came with the 6000cs had the tweeter crossed over at 3.5KHz, I figured that it's likely that too much sound in the vocal frequency range was passing through, causing the ear piercing "pingy" sound that I didn't like. I also wasn't a fan of the high pass x-over built into my Audiobahn amp. I was either getting too much or too little bass to my mids. All in all, I didn't like the sound at all.

So in short, I put a Clarion MCD360 2/3 way x-over in the mix. At about $80 on ebay, its probably one of the more better priced active crossovers that still does a really good job. Anyway, I crossed my high pass to the amp pushing the 6.5 at just a hair below 70Hz. Then I set the high pass to the tweeters at about 7KHz (twice as high as the stock passive x-over). Wow! Much much cleaner. The highs were now crisp, clean, clear and light. The mids were able to produce sound high enough to meet the tweeters somewhere close to the 7KHz I had set it to, without the appearance of a gap in range coverage. Plus the mids were now able to get just the right amount of bass to produce much better mid bass without dipping into the low sub frequencies.

Anyway, I just thought I mentioned this. If I buy your Kappa's I'll be looking forward to even higher quality sound.

Silver Member

Indianapolis, Indiana

Post Number: 107
Hey Allende5, that sounds like a good idea and would probably help soften the sound of the Perfects a bit. You're definitely going to get higher quality sound from the Perfects as you mentioned, that's for sure! Well, like I said I'll let you know within the next week what is going on with my new comps and when the Perfects will be ready to ship if you want them. I assure you, they will not disappoint if you like the sound of the Perfects. Actually, since they are finally broken in, they will probably sound even better than a set newly installed for the first time. I'll be in touch.

Silver Member
Username: Msully701

Stratford, Connecticut US

Post Number: 146
I have the perfects and I tried them on 0Db and +5Db. on 0Db I could barely hear them over my L7's, on the +5db they sound very loud and mesh good with my L7's, havent tried the -4db option but I would guess its pretty low sounding, play around with them and get the sound your looking for again its hard to mesh treble with L7's pounding so I have to have them on +5db just to balance them correctly

Silver Member
Username: Msully701

Stratford, Connecticut US

Post Number: 147
I have the perfects and I tried them on 0Db and +5Db. on 0Db I could barely hear them over my L7's, on the +5db they sound very loud and mesh good with my L7's, havent tried the -4db option but I would guess its pretty low sounding, play around with them and get the sound your looking for again its hard to mesh treble with L7's pounding so I have to have them on +5db just to balance them correctly, overall the kappas are very nice and sound sooo clear I love them
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us