Nonsense RMS

Bronze Member
Username: Alastaka

Post Number: 63
ok so when you have a subwoofer that has an rms rating of 500 like the LA VC2 why do you run 4000 RMS to it would that not hurt it? the max on the subs are 1500 and the RMS is 2000 on the LA strike 2000.1 right so when straped with another 2000.1 it becomes 4000 RMS right? could some one explain this phenominon to me or am i totally wrong in what im thinking

Silver Member
Username: Yamahabanshee1

Paulding, Ohio USA

Post Number: 113
Well if the max is 1500 then the RMS CANT be 2000! RMS is (usually) half of the Max! That doesnt sound right! I think somebody made a mistake!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 64
no the max is for the subis 1500 the rms on that amp is 2000 and i thought most rms's were half the max but LA says rms is 500 on tht sub

Bronze Member
Username: Matt12490

Post Number: 38
You should try to match up your RMS together like find a 500 RMS amp. You would overpower the sub with the 2000 RMS and yes it would hurt them. Im pretty sure about that, cuz Im new to this but have some knowledge and I think I am correct.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 65
yeah thats what i was thinking but the local audio store did that with my buddy's car and it all runs great he competes with it and they havent blown but i think he should be getting alot louder then 153.45 db's with 2 VC2 15's and 4000 watts in a 6or 7' ported box but that still doesnt help my confusion

Gold Member
Username: James1115

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 3225
you also have to remember that amp might be 200 watts at 1ohm, 100 watts at 2ohms, and 500 watts at 4ohms so yes it might be a 2000 watta amp but he might only be getting 500 watts out of it. you have to know how it is wired.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 68
i thought about that too but its a 1 ohm system so they are at their full out put. it beats me man i was just trying to figer it out since im buying those avalanches tomara i need to find an amp soon and the guy said 800-1000 rms is all i need to put in them.

Gold Member

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 3247
dude look on ebay for a JBL bp 1200

Bronze Member

Post Number: 69
haha that still doesnt fix my confusion id really like to know why they did that i guess i should ask haha. umm but i think im going with the LA storm 1200.1 its around 8 or 900 at 2 ohms and i like their amps id rather have the RF but its alil weak

Gold Member

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 3249
I have a feeling 800 or 900 is gonna be underpowering them quite a bit.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 70
haha the guy i talked to there said he wouldnt put any more then 1000 each but he also said hes heard of ppl running 5000 its just cheaper for me to get the LA from the Local shop since i have to get them to build me a box and if i buy an amp they will install it all for free including 0gage wire and i really like to stick with stuff i have had personal experience with but im interested in these avalanches and its a he11 of a price since money isnt sometihng i come by very often. but i have about 6 weeks to find an amp since i have to buy new tires first any reckomendations on those haha for a chevy z71 haha
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us