Why arnt my subs hitting?

Bronze Member
Username: Theceo

Post Number: 36
me and my friend installed my system today (hifonics amp, 2 12in kickers, sony hu (i know they suck)). at first we figured it wasnt hitting because the amp wasnt tuned, but then another friend of ours tuned it, and now its hitting a little bit, just not very hard. my friend alex (who tuned the amp) thinks its the amp, but i was told that it was a pretty good amp so i dont think its that. could the wires connecting the subwoofers on the inside of the box be bad? the box was preowned so i dont know if they wires were good to begin with. and if it is the wires, would they really keep it from hitting that much? thanks in advance.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 37
btw, i the amp is 500rms(might be 600) hifonics brutus amp. i was also thinking that maybe it might be the box. i got a box very similar to this one, http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem%26%26item%3D7975094869& category=38647#ebayphotohosting , but i took off the plexi glass because i thought it might sound better, and it sounded a little better, but do you guys also think it could be the box?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 38
bad link in 2nd post, http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem%26%26item%3D7975094869& category=38647#ebayphotohosting

Bronze Member
Username: Ridinlow987

Post Number: 13
my friend had the same prob untill i came and fixed it... this is what u do:
re wire the subs with 8guage wire then get a bigger box and a better amp
TRUST ME THIS WILL WORK.

Username: Traymannspl

Trenton, Mo USA

Post Number: 1
Well it seems to me that you have a bandpass box to so if you dont have a hatch back then get rid of it. First of all how many channels is your amp
what guage wires are you running(amp kit). What kind of kickers if you had them in a bandpass box which i think you do then you have the CompVR seris which there aright but still suck. but if you ask any body whos any body they would tell you that it's not what you got its how you hook it up. Yeah write me back with all your info. like rms of the subs notcombined each and the rms of amp and then the max of both and what size wires you have actually just give me the model number of you amp.

Gold Member
Username: Hdubb

Farmington, Nm Usa

Post Number: 1534
what is the impedence on the subs? and how qre they wired....parallel, series? the direction of the box might contribute to this, play around with that, check the hus settings also. how big is the box and is it sealed or ported? and what are the settings on the amp?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 39
the model of my amp is bx605 (hifonics,600rms), im using 9 gaugewire. i think i have them wired in parallel(im new to car audio, so im not sure what series and parallel are but i looked at sum pics of parallel wiring). im going to try a diff box in a couple of days, a ported box. and what is impedence? also i dont know anything about the subs i have except that theyre 8 ohms each, but here is a pic of on of the subs, maybe you guys can figure out what exact sub it is.
Upload

Bronze Member

Post Number: 40
i was also wondering, you know how there are 4 little "plates" on the back of subs? is there supposed to be wires going to all four of those, or just too to 2 of those little "plates"?

Gold Member
Username: Hdubb

Farmington, Nm Usa

Post Number: 1546
all of them,that means i think that it is a dual voice coil sub with the impendence at 8 ohms a coil. so if you wire it parallel then it is 4 ohms a piece, do you have both subs bridged?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 41
well i dont think i have them bridged becaues i have an idea of what that is, but i dont know how to do that. i only have wires going to 2 of the 4 plates on each sub.

Bronze Member
Username: Djet

Melbourne, Florida US of A

Post Number: 18
i think its because they are kicker comps

BAD lol, they dont hit hard period.

Gold Member
Username: Insearchofbass

Post Number: 2140
i beg to differ we have one 12 c comp hitting 127 db with a 400 watt profile amp

Silver Member
Username: Byrumjr

Post Number: 229
If the sub has two plates on each side on the sub it's dual voice coil. With one side hooked up it will sound weak and not hit hard. If all four plates are together it's single voice coils. It should say on the back of the sub.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 42
yea i didnt know what dual voice coil was until today (once again im a newb), but on wed me and my friend are going to fix it. i figured i was only supposed to hook up one side because the box only came with hook ups for one side, but i guess the subs that used to be in this box were single coils.

Bronze Member
Username: Shea88

Cartwright, Manitoba Canada

Post Number: 26
you might have accidently plugged postives into negetive from the subs to the amp, happend to my buddy before and dropped major sound quality and loudness from his subs. check that out

Bronze Member

Post Number: 43
ooo, didnt even think about that either
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us