Can I ruin tweeters?

Bronze Member
Username: Bass_buster_bob

Post Number: 46
I was just wondering if its possible to ruin tweeters by cranking the highs to loud. I was just expierimenting and truning the bass almost to the lowest and my highs quite high and then maxing out my stereo's volume. Would this ruin the speakers somehow if turned my subs up high and then turned my speakers bass down and cranked em? Cause i know that if speakers move too much they can break, but since the speakers arent doing much bass and only high can i still ruin the tweeters or voice coil?

Silver Member
Username: Illuminator

Post Number: 289
If you have a decent crossover, you shouldn't have to worry about it. They would most likely sound scratchy from harmonic distortion(unwanted frequencies), not extreme power levels.

Bronze Member
Username: Mikechec9

Chicago/atlanta

Post Number: 91
tweeters are perhaps the most sensitive of your drivers. yes, most definitely, like any of your speakers, they can be blown. i agree setting your x-over will help alleviate distortion by preventing the tweeter from reproducing frequencies it was not meant to handle (which would assist in their early demise), but too much power will easily destroy it nonetheless, particularly if your running clipped signals.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 47
well, im keeping the power going to them about the same wattage or less. right now my blown amp is getting repaired so they are getting about half their power. with the amp they would be about the same wattage. its not power im worried about, its extreme highs and volume levels.

Bronze Member
Username: Mikechec9

Chicago/atlanta

Post Number: 94
cool, so if you increase your volume to the point that your signal clips (squares off), you should begin to hear distortion. ease back down off the volume and you should be ok.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 48
cool. thanks
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us