HU Problems and more....

Username: Rzaray89

Post Number: 1
Somebody please help me...I just installed my friends 2 subs and amp and the subs came from his older sister, but the left sub was never connected. I turned off everything and checked to see if the bad connection was at the amp, and turned it back on, but still no sound to the left sub. So I decided to look at it later and put the other sub back in. This time when I go to start up the car to make sure everthing works, and the radio doesn't power up. Then I turn on the dome light and it wont turn on either. When my friend and I were ready to get out of the car, the power locks would not work either. This is a 1994 mazda protege. I checked the fuses under the wheel and under the hood, and none of them seemed to be blown..I even replaced the battery and the fuses incase there was a problem with them. Still no power. Everything else in the car works fine, but this is really frustrating and I am running out of ideas. Please help.

Silver Member
Username: Illuminator

Post Number: 242
It sounds like you fried some wiring...what are the specs on the components you're running and where is everything wired, specifically the power and ground wires for the amps?

Post Number: 2
2 audiobahn aw1251q 12'' (400x2 rms)
1 legacy La-1490 amp (800x2 @2ohms)
audio pipe PK-2100 2100 Watts Power Kit (4 AWG)
pioneer deh-3600

Silver Member

Post Number: 251
Wow, i'm surprised. If the wiring kit was properly installed, there shouldn't be fried wiring anywhere. Were the ground and power cable hooked up BEFORE you hooked up the RCA cable? If not, there's the possiblity that the amp tried grounding itself through the RCA and ended up damaging the headunit as well as melting some wire.

Post Number: 3
First I hooked up the power cable to the battery, then the ground wire to a bolt, then the turn on lead and rca cables. this was on saturday night/sunday morning. everything was fine until wednesday afternoon when I decided to take a look at the sub. I don't think the head unit is fried, because I put back in the stock radio and it still did'nt power up. I'm leaning towards the idea that there are just some fried wires..but there wasn't any wire smell, and the fuses that I checked were all ok..

Post Number: 4
Let's make a worst case scenario...the amp tries to ground itself and fries everything ..where would I go from there as far as replacement? Hopefully my uncle is supposed to take a look at it tomorrow but I just want to get an idea of what kind of problems I could me facing.

Bronze Member
Username: Justintoxicated

Post Number: 57
Maybe something simple like an unplugged or broken wire before or after the fuses.

Silver Member

Post Number: 253
Yeah, possibly...I would be very interested to know what his uncle finds.

Silver Member
Username: Msully701

Stratford, Connecticut US

Post Number: 115
the automatic locks check the wireing, sounds like they dont have power try to check that first

Post Number: 7
It was a blown fuse on the darn amp....o well it all works now.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us