Which sub(s) for best SQ?

Bronze Member
Username: Matt12490

Post Number: 29
alright im pretty sure that the infinity kappa and alpine type R are both SQ subs, and thats what im looking for. what do you think i should get?
(1) alpine type R 12" or 10" ~ 500 RMS
or
(2) infinity kappa 12" ~ 600 RMS (together)

which is a better decision for SQ? also, what is the difference between the alpine SWR-1242 and the SWR-1042? one is 10" and the other is 12" but they both have the same specs, so is there any difference.... last question: i should get a sealed inclosure for best sound quality correct?
please help, thanks

Bronze Member
Username: Phuktupbasshead

Scottsdale, Arizona United State...

Post Number: 17
Hey, man. I can't give any professional answers to your questions, but I'm sure someone else can... In the mean time, if the subs are the same specs - different size: I believe the only difference would be the size of the sound wave produced. (correct me if I'm wrong, anybody) Really, though. I'm under the impression that an 18" could literally vibrate loose certain engine components, where as an 8" or 10" is much less likely to do so. Maybe same output, but definately a difference in sound wave - thus producing a different feel of the bass (example: rattles the windows of your house while in the driveway)and probably even the way it sounds to the human ear (I'm assuming).
Anyway, I noticed no one had extended any help yet, so I figured I'd help you out where I felt qualified. Again, ask one of these pros... they know for sure.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 18
Oooh, oooh, oooh!
I know, I know... the smaller the sub the better the response time. (I'm reaching here, but I think that the bigger the sub - the bigger the sound wave = more of your internal organs will jiggle / the smaller the sub - the smaller the sound wave = faster response time from one extreme to the next! (exp: highs to lows)

I'm pretty sure about this, but it's actually just a theory. School me if I'm wrong, everyone. But it just sounds so right, doesn't it?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 19
try Image Dynamics for sq - that's where I've been refered to... looks a little too good to be true, but acording to these guys...it's no joke! I think I'm buying one on payday. Good luck.

Bronze Member
Username: Matt12490

Post Number: 34
too expensive

Gold Member
Username: Taylor17

Kopperl, Texas

Post Number: 1817
Well, the Infinity will be a little better in sq. The type R is more of an sq/spl sub... it will get louder, I really like the new type R's...
Well, the bigger the sub's cone, the more surface area, meaning... it moves more air... resulting in more bass.
P.s, yes, a sealed inclosure will give the best sq.

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 3942
"Oooh, oooh, oooh!
I know, I know... the smaller the sub the better the response time. (I'm reaching here, but I think that the bigger the sub - the bigger the sound wave = more of your internal organs will jiggle / the smaller the sub - the smaller the sound wave = faster response time from one extreme to the next! (exp: highs to lows)

I'm pretty sure about this, but it's actually just a theory. School me if I'm wrong, everyone. But it just sounds so right, doesn't it? "

Bigger subs actually aren't "slower" than smaller subs. Here's how it works. Speakers have voice coils, which are inductors (inductance is when a magnetic field is generated around the coil with the direction of current flow. This magnetic field moves across the turns of the coil and generates a secondary voltage, meaning that when electricity changes direction, the field generated opposes reverse current flow for a small period of time). Think of it like a car going 60mph, then having to stop and go in reverse, it isn't instantaneous, inductance is like inertia in a way. Anyway, an inductive rolloff occurs at a certain frequency (dependant on the inductance of the driver, which is affected by the wire size and length of the speaker voice coil), and that is when a woofer starts "slowing down" so to speak. Bigger woofers tend to have bigger voice coils, making their rolloff occur at a lower frequency, but with a subwoofer, it is out of the range that you're playing in anyway and doesn't make a big difference. Mechanical rolloff (like you are describing above) would be a problem if it weren't for the properties of inductance, in which inductive rolloff occurs before mechanical rolloff. It would also be an issue if you didn't have enough motor, but it isn't with the power of magnets used. Smaller subs are easier to control, that's their benefit. It is easier to stop a lighter sub than to stop a heavier one, making the subwoofer track the signal more accurately and thus, better sound quality. That's not to say 12s can't rival 10s in SQ, it's just a generalization.

Bronze Member
Username: Mr_wiglz

ManchesterEngland

Post Number: 46
thats where the higer priced subs come in, they can handle the, so called inertia of the cone a lot better than cheaper subs. hence the light materials used in making cones and longer voice coils.

the reason why larger subs are louder is purely because of cone area, which displaces the air.

so when you see audiobahns for example which boast phat 2" surrounds this compensate for cone area, but could allow for longer excursions if they had a sufficiently long enough pole piece and voice coil, which they don't. (bit of a dig at audiobahns :-) )

if you're looking for sq and spl I would go for as suggested an ID max 12" sub. These are very good subs.

also have a look at Digital Design. the 9112 is personally recommended by me. awesome sub. Also an RE xxx, but these subs are more aimed to spl rather than SQ, but do have very good control, because they're such good quality subs

Silver Member
Username: Tdeaton1021

Near Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 405
jonathan... do you learn ( well i think you have learned everything already lol) piece by piece or have you gone to tech school/college for many many years? i dont think there is anything in relation to audio that i could ask you and you not be able to give me an answer lol... glad to have you on this forum man

Gold Member
Username: Suleman36

Post Number: 1294
Hey Mr wigglz i am interested in that DD 9112 you are talking about. I found it on this link but it doesnt have the actual rms ratings and such on here. How many watts rms does it take ?

Ported or Sealed ? Let me know

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 3943
A little of both. Once I started getting serious about audio I studied speaker design, mainly what causes sound to change it's characteristics based on the actual engineering put into a speaker, and the effects enclosures, suspension, and the environment have on the sound. I have a degree in Electronics Technology, that's a big help in audio.

Bronze Member
Username: Mr_wiglz

ManchesterEngland

Post Number: 48
Power Handling RMS: 800
Power Handling Music: 1600
Power Handling Peak: 3200

this sub can handle anything up to 2500 watts rms. I have 1700 watts rms going in to it daily. I had it play for 3 straight hours, with no problems at all. It's such a good sub, I can't stress that enough really. I love it, I'm thinking of getting another one when I can afford it, not that I need it of course.

and of course ported. tuned to 40 - 45hz in a 2.5cuft box. it will sound as though you got two 15" in there. It's so powerful that I can't see out of the car, my gel in my hair cracks out, my nose seems more difficult to breathe through and it feels as though you're getting hit in the back of the head if I play it loud enough, all this and it still never distorts.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us