Looking for a new HU, (Alpine or Eclipse)

Bronze Member
Username: Justintoxicated

Post Number: 48
Hi,
Well I'm looking for a new HU. I'm a big time Eclipse and Alpine fan but it does not HAVE to be those 2 brands. I'm leaning towards eclipse to go with something a little differnt.

I was looking at spending no more than $500 unless it has a Navigation system in it.

I think I have pretty much settled on the CD8445 or CD8455, probably the first one as I don't see much differences between them.

However I have been recently looking at getting an older model like the CD5444 and want some opinions of it. It is going for 1/2 the price of the CD8445! About $250 vs $550.

I'd like to get a HU that plays MP3's although I prefer full CD quality.

Also looked at the 8035 but it does not seem to have many features.

Havent looked into the new alpines as much but I have always liked their HUs also.

Rest of the System is going to be

- Kenwood Excelon Dual Mag Fronts (already have these from my old vehicle)
- Eclipse 3321 Amp 2x75 watt (for components)
- Hifonics Zeuse 600x1 300x2 @ 2 ohm
- Either RE or Adire Kodas (when they release the new ones) and right now I'm looking into fitting a Bramah if I mount it facing the front (but the Kodas will fit for sure and I can get 2 10's) (only 5.75 inch mounting depth if not facing forward)
- 200 Feet of 60 mil RAAMAT
- Nice dirto block with 0 awg wiring.

Thanks for any advice!

Gold Member
Username: Subfanatic

Walton, Ky

Post Number: 3604
Eclipse 8454

Silver Member
Username: Skyliner17

Saint Paul, MN United States

Post Number: 135
get the alpine cda-9835 or the new ones cda-9855. great headunits.. i've heard that the eclipse 8454 has some features that the avg. person wouldn't use or know how to use.

Silver Member
Username: Rzarector

Coquitlam, Bc Canada

Post Number: 304
yeh im using the 9835 .. really nice hu, id recommend it

Bronze Member

Post Number: 50
yea the 8454 has some stuff I won't use, the 10 band equalizer is the only thing over the 8445 that sounds cool but then it has to be in a different mode or it is only 7 bad equalizer just like the 8445, I don't know what the digital in is for so I won't be using that.

They both support navigation system which is pretty sweet. I have not sceen an alpine unit other than the F1 that sounds like it has all the features or quality the eclipse has. But I will look into that unit only 4v pre-out vs 8 volt for the eclipse which is overkill but thats never a bad thing in car audio.

Gold Member
Username: Fishy

Tamarac Ft.Laud, FL USA

Post Number: 1281
Clarion DRZ-9255

http://www.etronics.com/product.asp?icatid=317&stk_code=cladrz9255&svbname=425

No MP3's w/o an ipod and a bit pricey, but much cheaper than an F#1 and built on a McIntosh design. I just installed mine and although I've never listened to an Eclipse it sure did blow away the Alpine CDE-7831 it replaced.

pics:

http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/846007/1

Those pics don't really don't do it justice. It looks a lot better than that.

-Fishy

Bronze Member

Post Number: 51
looks like a great unit but I'm really set on it playing MP3's without an adapter or addition to it. I do not own an Ipod either.

If I didn't care about that I would pickup a good last years line eclipse competition deck with 16V pre-out capabilities. Or that deck you had.

I found a good deal on an Eclipse avn2454 Nav system, but I do not know anything about it.

I forgot to add that I WANT THIS UNIT TO WORK WITH MY STEERING WHEEL CONTROLLS on my titan. I know they require an expensive adapter but I don't know much about the adapter. Do they work on all HUs or just some?

Gold Member

Tamarac Ft.Laud, FL USA

Post Number: 1283
Oh and despite what it says in the specs I've heard that it is capable of 8 volt output above the 0 dB volume setting(6 dB max). I've run mine there with some pretty high volume tracks and didn't notice any increased distortion.

-Fishy

Gold Member

Tamarac Ft.Laud, FL USA

Post Number: 1284
I believe steering wheel volume capability is one of the few advantages the 9855 has over the 9835. At least it says "OEM Steering Remote Ready" on Alpine's website. I'm sure some sort of vehicle specific adapter is required however.

-Fishy

Bronze Member

Post Number: 52
Fishy, I read a few posts below that some people are having some SERIOUS problems with the 9855.

I think I'm going to throw that deck out because of this. I can't believe Alpine is having so many problems with their new stuff...

I had a clarion before and it was ok, but I heave heard they are really improved this year. It's a quite a bit out of my price range though $800 for a unit with no navigation or MP3 capabilities.

There is no way I can afford an F1 @ 2400 doillars even though it is a PERFECT Match for my Titan. I'm leaning towards the Eclipse with nav, although it's least years model and it is a foreign version so I will need to buy a nav CD and I'm not sure if it will wire right up like I am hoping.

Gold Member

Tamarac Ft.Laud, FL USA

Post Number: 1288
Yeah that Clarion is a really an "audiophile" deck. I was wanting to try the MP3 thing as well but heard you lose a bit of SQ.

With regards to the 9855. I was looking at those as well, but its kind of scary when a "new" model lists for less than the one its replacing yet supposedly has more/better features.

The only difference between the 9833 and the 9835 is the display and you should still be able to pick up a 9833 for lil over 300 bucks.

Depending on your local dealer you might even be able to pick up a Eclipse 8053(16v preout capability). I saw one somewhere(pickup only) for around $300 as well. Its a dead head so should provide some clean output, but unfortunately doesn't have the on screen NAV capabilities like the 8455. I think I saw Glass state that the 8053 also requires the Eclipse Commander(whatever that is) for MP3 decoding and that it wasn't cheap.

If you like the looks I think the 8455 would be your best bet.

-Fishy

Bronze Member

Post Number: 53
you mean 8445 heh it's $100 less than the 8455 ;) and still has the 8V preout...Any MP3 is compressed so you can lose sound quality, weterh or not it is noticable depends on the compression rate, algorithms used, and the song itself.

or the AVN2454 ;)...Or Maybe some other clarion but I don't know much about them.

Gold Member

Tamarac Ft.Laud, FL USA

Post Number: 1293
Does the 8445 still have that cool little GPS display? The Eclipse website is anemic. I can't find anything on their old stuff.

Well the 9255 was my first experience with Clarion Pro Audio and needless to say I'm impressed. I think some of the other upper end pro audio stuff has 24 bit DAC's as well.

-Fishy

Bronze Member
Username: Mikechec9

Chicago/atlanta

Post Number: 58
9835. 350.00 ebay. brilliant.

Silver Member
Username: Jeremyc

Germany

Post Number: 637
The 8445 is gps compatiable, and is a great deck if you don't need all the options the 8455 gives you. As for the difrence in pro mode and easy mode for the eclipse decks, both are very easy to set up. I actually found the pro mode is better for every day use than the easy mode is. It does take a little more playing with to get it set up, but once it is finished, wow it is nice.

You can check out this link if you have any other questions. Both decks are very simular in set up, and you can find out the rest of the details on the eclipse web site.

www.caraudiocentral.net/forums/showthread.php?t=1416

Bronze Member

Post Number: 56
Actualy I called eclipse to ask them, the main difference is that pro mode as mentioned as well as being able to configure your system automaticaly by doing some kinda scans with a mic and then typing in the readings on eclipses website to get the optimal configurations. Or you can jsut set them manualy by how they sound.

The GPS feature is not true navigation. Basicaly you go to your ocmputer, upload a map from their website (like you would on Yahoo) plug it into the HU, and it will tell you when to turn. However if you miss a turn or stray from course it will not tell a new route or where you are at.

if I have an extra $100 at the time I go to buy I might get the 8455 but otherwise I thinkt he 8445 is good enough for my use. It should be a great deck for a decent sterio.

I threw the idea of the NAV2454 out due to the fact it has .8V pre-outs. I can't believe Eclipse would make a unit with only .8V! Navigation or not no excuses!

Thanks for the link. If I went with an alpine I would get last years model, Somethign is up with the 05's!

Silver Member

Germany

Post Number: 638
Yeah the 8445 is the same deck I have recomended to a couple of my friends. Its a great little deck if you don't want to spend alot of money, and don't need the extra gadgets of the 8455. By the way the digital in can be used with a CD changer or another eclipse unit with a digital out. It alows the head unit do do all the processing and then change the siginal to analog, instead of converting an anolog siginal to digital, sending it thru processing, and then changing it back to analog. Works pretty well with my changer.

Bronze Member
Username: Kd7nfr

Montpelier, ID United States

Post Number: 26
ALPINE!!!

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 3969
I'd choose the Eclipse as well. Remember that if you want to take advantage of Pro mode, you'll want to either run an active setup or simply run a pair (such as mids) as full range (LPF turned off), then you can take advantage of time correction and Parametric EQ function. Keep in mind that with the 8454 the Graphic EQ is for easy mode and the Parametric for Pro mode, you can't use both at the same time, I assume this year's model hasn't changed that. That being said, if you don't want time correction, PEQ, and other features, get the 5444 or this years equivalent. Alpines units have downgraded this year and have had some problems, they have weaker preouts, still have a lack of higher grade DACs, and trade true SQ function for Ipod capability and bogus functions. Not my cup of tea.

Gold Member
Username: Suleman36

Post Number: 1318
Hey jonathan, i have the cd8454 and im only running a front stage of componants and 1 subwoofer in the trunk. What mode should i have my eclipse deck set at ? Easy Mode ?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 27
I agree with Jonathan on Alpine's new decks. I have an older CDA-9833. Works great, but good luck finding one!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 58
Ok I have changed my selection to Eclipse or Clarion, particularly this clarion unit

http://www.clarion.com/usa/products/source_units/DXZ955MC.html

The things I like on this unit is the 45 seconds of anti- Skip...I plan to install in a truck that goes offroad so this is a + over the eclipse, and the fact it can store a few CD's in memory. I'm not crazy about touch screen but not worried about it either.

On the other hand the eclpise has 8V not 4V pre-outs but I don't know if I need 8V or not? The Eclipse also has a 10 band EQ not 3 band....

What I plan to run is 1 set of components and 1 set of Subs. I may in the future upgrade to a second set of components....Everything will be run off 2 amps except for the stock rear speakers in my titan, if i even run them at all.

Thanks for the help!

So now which is better eclipse or clarion? I really likethe fact the clarion has anti skip because the strongest signal int he world wont matter if my CD is skipping!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 29
You won't notice the difference between a 4v and an 8v pre-out. 8v is overkill in my opinion. For the EQ, I wouldn't worry too much. If it ends up being a huge problem, buy an external EQ. 10 band, in my opinion, is overkill. I have an Alpine CDA-9833 with a 5 band EQ, and it can make my blown speakers in my Accord sound awesome, as long as I keep the low freq. out. :D

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 3973
I wouldn't consider it overkill per se, more in that case is better regardless of whether you notice a difference, remember that the upper eschelon of units offer 16V balanced preouts for their noise rejection. It also allows amp gains to be kept low so that the amp itself doesn't introduce noise into the system. The 10 band PEQ in the Eclipse units equates to 5 bands per driver, being 5 for the mids and 5 for the tweets. It helps smooth out the response prior to use of things like 1/3 octave EQs, sometimes it's better to use a PEQ beforehand due to the smoother transition of bands.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 59
but is the clarion a better deck for not skipping? I do liek the record your cds on it feature also, I also prefer it's style in my truck it woould look better, but I dunno what eclipse uses for anti-skip.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 60
oh yea and the gain is already turned down on the components amp, the speakers cannot handle 75 watts RMS as it is they are excelon dual mags.

Silver Member

Germany

Post Number: 647
Jonathon "Keep in mind that with the 8454 the Graphic EQ is for easy mode and the Parametric for Pro mode, you can't use both at the same time, I assume this year's model hasn't changed that"

I don't know about the 8454, but the 8455 both are PEQs (pro and easy mode), and can be set using the pink noise sweep, and then going online, or by ear.

Silver Member

Germany

Post Number: 648
I did notice the 8445 only has the 7 band PEQ when the advance (pro) mode is turned on. So that might be closer to what the 8454 was like last year.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 61
so you guys all still think the eclipse is a much better deck than the clarion I linked to? Again, this is not going to be used in competition and I do plan to use it while Offroading so ani-skip is important. What kinda anti skip does the eclipse unit offer?

Again the clarion has a much better looks, and is a cooler CD Player but it is clarion and the eclipse name always rules.

I don't knwo what to do :-(

Silver Member

Germany

Post Number: 651
I like the eclipse better, and I can tell you it would take alot of abuse to get mine to skip, unless the CD is plane nasty with scratches. IMO you should be fine with either, unless your planing on really getting nasty when your off roading. If thats the case, I don't think any deck will be able to keep up.

Silver Member

Germany

Post Number: 652
Shock Proof Memory (45 sec) ??? It never says that is for the CD?? I would double check that. It sounds kinda fishy to me.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 62
Yea it is for the CD I believe it reads ahead 45 seconds, similar to a discman. For example you bump your discman hard it won't skip unless you consistantly bump it for 45 seconds.

The only thing I did not like on the clarion unit is, the 4V preout and the crappy EQ. Also my last CD player was a clarion and it had alot of problems although that was 5 or so years ago.

It does look as though they are much better not but Im skeptical.

The clarion is actualy cheaper since I can buy it on ebay.

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 3988
"I don't know about the 8454, but the 8455 both are PEQs (pro and easy mode), and can be set using the pink noise sweep, and then going online, or by ear."

The one I was describing was the 8454, I'm not sure about the new units.

Gold Member
Username: Suleman36

Post Number: 1342
Jonathan what do i wanna have my subwoofer level set at for the Eclipse cd8454 if im running the Avalanche 15 sealed or when im setting the amp gains ?

Silver Member

Germany

Post Number: 666
Thats cool man, I though you were talking about the new ones.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 68
Hey guy's I probably messed up but I ended up getting a brand new CD5444 eclipse because the price was right $244. I hope I don't miss the features with the new enclipse.

I talked to one installer who said they had had some problems with the new CD5455 and CD5445. They said that was the first batch and the problem has been corrected but I just figured I would avoid problems and save 2/3's of my cash.

This place also said they liked the new clarions better than the new eclipses but that they really liked last years versions better. (not hte place I bought it from either)

I liked the look and feel of last years model better also. It felt like a more solid unit with less money wasted on features I probably would not use.

I hope I do not regret my decision when it comes time to install. I also picke dup a 5 year warranty for $60.

Did I do ok?

joeDirt
Unregistered guest
Im Going with Eclipse!
No more Clarion junk for me, Im sick of Error 6, Error 3. Stoped playing Cd's months ago!

Bronze Member
Username: Bananakrill

Benicia, California

Post Number: 60
Eclipse has errors constantly. I always get the info3 error. You just can't escape it!!!

Bronze Member
Username: Lowdose

St. Louis, Mo

Post Number: 40
I get that too.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us