Brand Spankin New to Car Audio

Username: Voodoochilde

Greencastle, Indiana

Post Number: 1
Hi, after reading on this board for about of month i decided to join and ask for some help. I have a '97 Honda Civic (4 door) and I plan on getting 2 subs and some 6.5 components for the front doors, but I have 2 questions...

1) I know JL audio 12w6v2 are great subs, but are they worth the price compared to 2 12" avalanches. Also for the price would it just be better to get 2 15" avalanches. I plan on using a JL Audio 1000/1 amp for the 2 W6V2, but not sure what would be a good amp for the avalanches. I'm into more of sq than spl but I'm not an audiophile by any means. BTW i listen to mostly hard rock and metal music.

2) As far as components go, I plan on getting some Indinity Kappa perfect components, but I wasn't sure how the JL components are compared to them, I know JL's subs are great but wasn't sure how their components were.

3) I didn't know if anybody could tell me how hard it it to install components in the doors. The stock speaker is 6.5" but I wasnt sure where I could mount the tweeter.

As of now i only have a stock head unit but I plan on getting the Alpine CDA-9830, I'll end up buying the whole system at once. I appreciate any help. Thanks

Silver Member
Username: Tdeaton1021

Near Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 388
as for subs... the 12w6v2 is "the best sounding subwoofer ever" but if you like really low bass than an avalanche is a great sub... and actually a 1000/1 could push them nicely in a proper box... although im going to use a 1000/1 on just one 15 avalanche . for components... i have JL VR650 componants and i love them... although if you have money id recommend the XR componants... i will get them eventually because i want to run a 450/4 and i;ll put my Vr componants in the back because the rear channels of the 450/4 are 75 watts rms.... and installing is different in every car... i have an escalade and that car is quite difficult to work on... try to find an area to mount the tweeter... you could cut a hole in a dor panel or something and mount the tweeter in there... not too difficult.
goodluck with the setup

Greencastle, Indiana

Post Number: 2
Thanks for your input Trevor, have either you or anybody else heard JL components compared to Infinity Kappa Perfect components? And has anybody heard the W6V2 and the 12 or 15 avalanche? I appreciate any help.

Username: Vtecpower

Post Number: 9
Here's my 0.02 ...

Don't know about avalanches but I have a 12W6v2 powered by JL 500/1 in a sealed box - hits every note with perfect accuracy the bass is SO addictive, though the SPL is a bit disappointing - i've heard ported works a lot better for this sub

next up: XR components I have 6.5" powered by a 300/2 i.m.h.o the sound is too clean and sterile for its own good, and the tweeter is so clinically bright it does hurt ur ears im thinkin of changing already after 2 months

haven't heard infinity kappas so can't say, but try some Focal, DLS or Diamond Audio

Bronze Member
Username: Mikechec9

Chicago/atlanta

Post Number: 50
the jls are great subs, but are overpriced based on the name. the company has done extensive research over the years and has earned the respect they receive. however, porche used to be the absolute with regards to performance. modern technology has allowed other vehicles to match or supercede that performance.
the same w/subs. i would go with the avalanche:
xbl2 technology is great. it affords sql at remarkable levels. it is the same motor i have in my brahmas. so, you can't go wrong either way, but i would be different, spend less and still sound great, and plausibly louder than the w6.

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 3941
Both the XRs and the Kappa Perfects are bright, but the Perfects are the brighter set. Perfects are pretty cold and clinical, the XR is warmer overall, but are tricky to get the positioning just right, mainly due to the shallow slope x-overs. IMO, if you aren't doing a somewhat on axis install or kick panels, don't get the XRs.

Username: Jonklly5

Post Number: 7
Who makes avalanches are where can you buy them?

Bronze Member

Chicago/atlanta

Post Number: 61
http://www.ascendantaudio.com/

Bronze Member

Chicago/atlanta

Post Number: 62
check this thread out on the elemental design vs. atlas and avalanche. particularly the final post
http://forum.soundillusions.net/archive/index.php/t-48321.html

here is the skinny on xbl2 technology
http://www.adireaudio.com/Files/XBL2TechPaper.pdf

Greencastle, Indiana

Post Number: 3
So, it sounds like the kappa perfects are the better choice for me. As for subs go i've been looking into a RE XXX or an Image Dynamics IDMAX12 Along with the 12 or 15 avalanche...There's too many choices. I'm hearing the Avalanche series is the most cost effective for the performance but I don't know if the IDMAX12 or the RE XXX is worth the extra price. I know everybody has their own opinions but I'm not sure which is best (let's say regardless of price for now) in terms of sq and spl. Thanks for all your help.

Bronze Member

Chicago/atlanta

Post Number: 65
imo its a mercedes, lexus, and acura respectively.

Greencastle, Indiana

Post Number: 7
lol...So I'm guessing the acura is the avalanche, but which match up to the mercedes and the lexus? I don't even know a price on the RE XXX...anybody?

Silver Member
Username: Fordpwr

Los angeles, CA Usa

Post Number: 226
Hey Cody , I myself run polf audio componenets at all 4 corners aand they sound awesome, hit every note. My brother used to have the Infinty Precet components and with a little playing around with the HU, they sounded so awesome, lucky for you, he eventually replaced them with the XR's and they sound cool. Of course we had to play around with the HU crossoevr(Alpine)
FOOQUA> Fool around with your HU"s crossover before you replace them, give it a try , maybe you'll change oyur mind. What HU are you runnning ?

Silver Member
Username: Fordpwr

Los angeles, CA Usa

Post Number: 234
polk audio and thats my brother -in-law, sorry

Bronze Member

Chicago/atlanta

Post Number: 77
re would be the benz imo. they run about 350.00 xxx. hard to catch them on the phone, but you can catch new ones on ebay about once/month. now i think about it, the id max is more like a bmw. but anyway...

Bronze Member

Post Number: 27
DR MAx... I'm using an Alpine CDA headunit;

The XR's bright tweets get tiresome after a while, even after messing round with the HU settings - think I might go for Diamond Hex's with Silk Tweets (they sound like no other!) or downgrade to the silk-tweeted VR comps they sound mich nicer

werd
Unregistered guest
I would say go with an IDMAX. It will have awesome sound quality, and get very low, and with the right enclosure can be quite loud.

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 3957
Fooqa, how do you have them installed? The XRs are a little more tricky than many sets to get the positioning right, the shallow slope crossovers are to blame for that mainly. If you have the woofer in door off axis, it may be causing the problem more so than EQing or driver level. When off axis in a door, woofers tend to roll off in the 2khz region (depending on how far off axis they are), shallow slopes make the effects of that more problematic. It will result in a thin upper midrange and of course, that will exaggerate the tweeter even more since it's not balanced out. It helps to install the tweeter a little further from you than the mid in my experience with them, match the axis of the drivers, also a higher order crossover helps the off axis on those a LOT, if you ran 24db/oct slopes and cross the mids around 2-2.5k and drop the tweeters down to around 2.5k-3k, you'd get better results. Tweeters have much better off axis performance than midbass drivers do, the problem is that most people (generalization, I'm not referring to you) put the tweeters on axis and the woofers off axis, giving less than optimum results. That's also the reason most high-end components will crossover the system around 2khz, since it gives better off axis performance and allows a more powerful woofer. Just a consideration, I agree that the XRs are fatiguing at times, just stating the above so that you can consider your options, be it working on the XR install or choosing your next component set.

Greencastle, Indiana

Post Number: 9
As for me being "brand spankin new" (didn't notice how corny that sounded at first) I think i'm gonna go with the infinity kappa perfect system just for ease of install (even though I'm still deciding how to mount the tweeters) and for sound issues. Thanks for your help.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 28
Sounds like great advice jonathan... i'll try transferring the tweeters to the kick panels (currently they're in the doors in factory locations about level with the steering wheel).

Thanks!

Greencastle, Indiana

Post Number: 10
So, out of the avalanche 12, avalanche 15, idmax12, or re xxx which will have the highest spl if supplied with enough power to reach its potential and in the right box? Sorry, i know this is a really general question, but either theoretically or from somebody that has heard at least 2, which gets the loudest? thanx

Username: Traymannspl

Trenton, Mo USA

Post Number: 3
ok your talking spl then im your man well my opinion i would go with to 15" soundstream Divinchis in a good well made ported box beacuse if you go cheap on the box you my as well go cheap on the subs because your boxes is what produces the bass so get a good one so you dont blow your box apart with these subs they'll do it .

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 3971
Worst case scenario is that you'd need to move the tweeters back. Just use some double sided tape or velcro as a temp install just to see the results you get, try the kick panels and also the lower door area (keeping the tweeter on the same axis as the woofer).

Bronze Member

Greencastle, Indiana

Post Number: 11
Trevor...
I am mainly going for sq, but I was wondering out of those subs I mentioned which would get loudest.
Jonathan...
What do you mean by keep the tweeter on the same axis as the woofer? What axis? Sorry if this is a n00b question, but I'm still learning. Thanks

Bronze Member

Greencastle, Indiana

Post Number: 12
hoping for some help...maybe?

Gold Member
Username: James1115

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 3257
highest SPL would be 15 REXXX right up there would be the avalanche 15 then the idmax 12(ported) and then the avalanche 12 would be right there also. They will all get loud and sound good also but the ID max willl have the best transient response if thats what your looking for.

Bronze Member

Greencastle, Indiana

Post Number: 15
thanx man, that helped out alot

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 3974
By that I meant that the tweeter should point in a similar direction as the mid, if the midrange points away from you a bit (such as a door install), try installing the tweeter to point in the same direction and see if it helps, as opposed to pointing it straight at you. Most car tweeters are designed to perform well off axis, and do so much better than midbasses do.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us