Help with wire

Yeah Toast
Unregistered guest
I have two(2) legacy amps they are 3000 watts and class d mono blocks (yes i had these tested and there real close to a true 3000) I was planning on runing a 0 guage wire to the back to a second battery with an i solater in place i have already upgraded the big 3 under the hood and wondering if i should go over is agian with 0 also I think it might be a waste but you never know any was i was wondering is 0 a little excessive and when i do put dual batteries were do i put the circut breaker in at ( i dont use fuses) also dose speaker over a 12 guage actual make a diff my friend said is dosnt? thanks for any help

Username: Yeah_toast

BIG SB South Bend, IN USA

Post Number: 2
HELLO? anybody

Gold Member
Username: Fishy

Tamarac Ft.Laud, FL USA

Post Number: 1315
What size fuses do those amps have?

You do realize the extra battery will be of no help while the engine is running. You can get away with 4 gauge(or even less) if you're going to be running the system with the engine off as all the current will be coming from the rear battery. While your engine is running its a different story. Your alternator will then be responsible for supplying all of your vehicle's electrical needs and you might experience a significant voltage drop from the alternator to your amplifiers when using a smaller gauge.

It really depends on the length of run and how much current those amps actually draw which is why I asked what size fuses they have. That being said 1/0 really doesn't cost much more than what you'd pay for 4 gauge at your local shop if you get it from Knokonceptz:

www.knukonceptz.com/

Their site seems to be down right now, but I paid $2.25 a foot for 5145 strand 1/0. I pay $2.00 a foot for cheap 4 gauge at my local electronics shop.

-Fishy

Gold Member

Tamarac Ft.Laud, FL USA

Post Number: 1316
Here's some pics of the stuff:

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/6/web/846000-846999/846007_8_full.jp g

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/6/web/846000-846999/846007_9_full.jp g

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/6/web/846000-846999/846007_7_full.jp g

As you can see its pretty flexible.

-Fishy

Username: Alpineer

Garden City, New York

Post Number: 2
Hello all; 1st time on this message board. I have a "0" gauge cable which I bought for a very cheap price. A very cheap price because it's 20 feet long split into 2 pieces. 10 feet each. I need to connect these 2 pieces without decreasing the power flow. Any suggestions? Thanks, Carl

Gold Member

Tamarac Ft.Laud, FL USA

Post Number: 1317
With regards to speaker wire anything over 12 gauge probably is overkill as high power amps provide fairly high voltage output.

Place one fuse/circuit breaker at the positive terminal of the rear battery between it and your amps. I'd also have one at the rear battery between it and the isolator in case you short out that 1/0. Having one right next to the isolator on that same 1/0 would probably be a good idea as well as no battery isolator is perfect and the starting battery could very well blow the thing's diodes if you were to short that 1/0 cable somewhere.

You might be able to get away with less if you ran a floating ground(dedicated ground wires, not using the chassis). Accidental shorts would be less likely that way, but the cost of power cable would then double.

-Fishy

Username: Alpineer

Garden City, New York

Post Number: 3
I shouldnt soldier them?

Username: Yeah_toast

BIG SB South Bend, IN USA

Post Number: 4
OK so heres my plan. isolater from the first battery to second with 0 guage wire with a fuse in between but what should the amperage on the isolater be and the fuse? the amps has 2 40 amp fuses on each. now from the second battery to the amps i should run a fuse there also? i do have a ho alernator putting out 200 amps. i can get 20 feet of some prttey good stuff for $34.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us