Enclosure Thoughts

cutthrote
Unregistered guest
I am slowly working on my audio system and have so far purchased a alpine headunit, 2 12" Type-R subs (2ohm 05 model) and a Hifonics Brutus 1500d amp giving it 1000w at 2ohms. I am in the process of finiding a good enclosure. I have been looking at my best pre-fab options since I dont have the tools or time to build and have narrowed it down to Obcon godzilla vented as well as the Subzone vented. I listen to mainly rap with bass along the lines of Lil Jon, 8-ball & MJG, 3-6 Mafia. I only know that the specs on the Subzone say it is tuned to 40Hz, so I'm assuming the Obcon godzilla is about the same. My question is will these vented boxes tuned around those frequencies be able to produce those low bass notes I want want to hear and feel, efficiently? If not other ideas welcomed. Heres the link for the Obcon box http://www.cardomain.com/item/OBCGZ32812 and the Subzone box is all over Ebay. Alpine recommends .75-1.75 cubic feet per chamber (vented).

Gold Member
Username: James1115

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 2976
in your case I would go sealed because most pre fabbed boxes like you described are tuned near 40htz. Now in a ported enclosure you said you listen to alot of lil jon and 3-6 mafia alot of their bass notes go below 40htz and that will damage your sub if your box is tuned to 40 and it gets a 30htz tune through it repeatidly. unless you have a built in subsonic x-over on your amp then you tune it to about 35 htz and you will be fine but dont expect to hear alot of those really deep low notes in the music that you love. If you were to go sealed you would eliminate all of that and it would sound great and get very very deep with the songs and artists you mentioned.

Bronze Member
Username: Basshd

Post Number: 43
If you want to go with a ported enclosure than go with an enclosure tuned at 25-28hz, otherwise go sealed. As what James alluded to, those artists have content into the lower 30's and below. Use a ssf set at 20hz and call it a day. Otherwise go with a sealed enclosure.

Gold Member

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 2983
thats exactly what I was thinking E but where are you going to find a pre fabbed box tuned to low to mid 20"s? I have never seen one. I think sealed would deff be the best application for this guy.

cutthrote
Unregistered guest
The amp has a subsonic filter built in, but are you saying even with that and the pre-fab vented box tuned at 40Hz I still will not hear a lot of those low notes I'm looking for? How will the sealed box produce those low notes Im looking for?

Gold Member

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 2984
OK vented enclosures will not reach peak x-max unless driven under the tune of the box which will actually not only hit mechanical x-max but will over extend the driver due to lack of control. In sealed you have great control of the sub at all frequency points, and there is no use for a subsonic filter in a sealed enclosure.

Gold Member

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 2985
and sorry I forgot, yes you will not hear that deep low bass that you are looking for.

cutthrote
Unregistered guest
I see. Then sealed seems to be my best option at this point. As far as pre-fab sealed enclosures. I see so many for sale ranging anywhere from $30-115. Is there any major difference between these boxes taking into account they are all made with 3/4" MDF and the cu.ft/chamber are relatively the same. Just wondering before I spend extra money for a box that will do the same as a lower-priced one. Is it true it takes a lot less watts to run subs effectively in a sealed enclosure compared to vented?

Gold Member

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 2992
well that all depends on the size of the box. In a large sealed enclosure the power handling of a sub is severly dampened but in a small sealed enclosure it can handle the most power out of any enclosure.

Gold Member

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 2993
as far as a good box I preffer sub zone over q logic but a pre fabbed box is always gonna be as good as the assembly line they came out of. They are rarely glued and screwed to prevent any air leakage whatoever, and alot of companies use particle board and not MDF so you have to look out. There are a few places on the web that will make you a custom box for a decent price ask MO he just got one built from wood cabinetry or something like that really cheap.

Silver Member
Username: Dpaw20

FL USA

Post Number: 217
Not to jack your thread, but Im in the same situation as this guy, except ive already bought the obcon box tuned to 40hz with my 2 alpine type r's...

quick question, would you recomend I seal up the port hole and it would sound much better and have a flat response?

Username: Steveboyalpine

Post Number: 4
i have two alpine type r s and running an audiobahn amp the alpine speakers sound better with the ports open believe me i know

cutthrote
Unregistered guest
Thanks for the responses. To back that statement up Steve. Is your box pre-fab or custom built and tuned to what frequency. And what type of music do you listen to that prodocues a better sound of music? Just wondering, since your statement does not compare with previous repsonses.

Gold Member

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 3001
I would not really go by that statment if I were you cuthrote. I would listen to E and I if you want your speakers to last for the type of music you listen to.

Anonymous

the 500/1 does not have a ssf but i think the infrasonic filter is the same thing... if not please let me know what is...

http://jlaudio.com/amps/pdfs/500_1.pdf that has a picture of all the knobs on the amp

thannks

Gold Member

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 3004
yup its the same thing.

Silver Member
Username: Dpaw20

FL USA

Post Number: 222
cutthrote, I told you. 40hz, and yest its prefab.

Silver Member
Username: Rzarector

Coquitlam, Bc Canada

Post Number: 300
im running to r's and built a box to alpines spec's .84 cu ft per chamber and they sound great.. i suppose the low end freq. could be a little louder but its still pretty impressive delivers really tight bass

Post Number: 6
how can you check the frequenzy for the best sound

Post Number: 7
and whatis E and I

Post Number: 8
and what is e and i should i kno what this means?

Username: Cutthrote

Post Number: 1
James was refering to the advice that member name "E" and himself (James Longo) had given me (cutthrote) about using a sealed enclosure instead of vented. Go back and put it all together...
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us