Help me by anwsering my audiobahn sub questions

Username: Jerry4886

Post Number: 4
well i bought 2 AW1251SE subs and a bandpass box and have a few questions. First of all, should the subs be placed up like this:
Upload

or like this:
Upload

Additionally, I thought the subs had 4ohm impendence but they have dual voice coils so i guess they could be ran ethier as a 2ohm or 8ohm depending on how they are wired. Is this right? if it is, which would be better: 2ohm or 8ohm? Series or Parallel?

While on that subject, what amp should i get for this set up for about $100-$200 (hopefully not much more)? Should I get an amp that is 2 ohm stable if it running at 2 ohms? should it be a 2 or 4 channel amp? I've read you can run 1 channel to each voice coil (4 total channels) or bridge 1 channel over both (2 channels). any ideas?

now when it comes time to wire this, i'm lost. each sub has 2 dual lugs as shown here:
Upload

well that means each side has 4 places to put a wire. i don't see where you would get 2(+) and 2(-) wires to put on each side. here's a close up of one side:
Upload

well any help is definatly appreacited except for anyone suggesting paying someone to do it. I'll ignore it because this shouldn't be to hard to do and i like to save money...lol

Silver Member
Username: Sevin7

Post Number: 123
first off, it doesnt matter which way the subs are facing. Each sub has dual 4 ohm coils, wire them in togather for a 2 ohm load and you will get more power out of the amp you buy for them. This will help with wiringt:
http://www.crutchfieldadvisor.com/learningcenter/car/subwoofers_wiring.html?subs =2&impedance=DVC4x2 . Also there is a guide on how to wire your subs in the back of your subs user's manual. each voice coil has a + and - terminal. Each of those terminals has 2 inputs, simply to make it easier to wire both voice coils togather. So you would want to put the + wire coming from your amp into one of the + terminals, then on the same side, put a short wire into the other + terminal, and run the other side of that wire to either one of the + terminals on the 2nd voice coil, this would be how you wire it in parallel. Buy this amp for those subs:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=64571%26item%3D5774420253 %26%26

Silver Member

Post Number: 124
o wait, my bad, your going to want an amp that is 1 ohm stable, if you wire both subs in parallel it will create a 1 ohm load. Or you can wire them in series and get a 4 ohm load, so this amp would be better:
http://caraudiodeals.com/product_info.php?cPath=28_30&products_id=66
it puts out 800rms @ 4 ohms, and ive bought from caraudiodeals.com - great site, they shipped my stuff out same day i ordered.

Post Number: 5
thanks for replying but first of all the Audiobahn A8002T is 2 Ohm Stable, not 1 ohm. And if the subs are ran in Parallel, wouldn't it create a 0.5ohm load?
2 x 200W RMS @ 4 Ohm
2 x 400W RMS @ 2 Ohm
1 x 800W RMS @ 4 Ohm
So are you saying to run:
a 2ohm amp with the subs each at 2 ohms like option #2 of "2 subs / Dual Voice Coil - 2 ohms x 2" on that site

or are you saying to run it at 4 ohms like option 2 of "2 subs / Dual Voice Coil - 4 ohms x 2"?

it seems (maybe i'm wrong) that the best thing to do is get a 0.5ohm amp and run them completly in parallel...right? or next best thing would be to run them both at 2ohms using the 2ohm amp in a series/parallel setup.

So are my generalizations correct? should i still get the Audiobahn A8002T amp and run the subs at 2ohms, or look for a different amp that is 0.5 or 1 ohm stable?

Bronze Member
Username: Shawnomak

HB, SK Canada

Post Number: 24
i dunno is this is right, but i heard if ur gonna put ur subs in the box like the first picture, wire ur subs - terminals to ur amps + terminals so they are pushing out the same time ur speakers are.. it will sound better.

Gold Member
Username: Invain

Michigan United States

Post Number: 2413
Shawn I'm still trying to figure out what your talking about....?

"so they are pushing out the same time ur speakers are.. it will sound better."

So the subs push out when all his other speakers are?? Is that what you meen? If that's the case, it doesn't matter. As long as the subs are in phase, it doesn't matter how his subs are in the box.

Bronze Member

HB, SK Canada

Post Number: 26
i heard that from a guy in town here at a car audio shop... if the subs are placed like that, they are pushing into the box as the other speakers are pushing up. i dunno if hes right, but he said it will sound better. i didnt think it would matter but i thought if he was an expert and im new at this, id go with what he said.

Bronze Member

HB, SK Canada

Post Number: 27
was that guy right, or should i go pimp slap him for being so stupid?

Gold Member

Michigan United States

Post Number: 2416
Go pi.mp slap him. Like I said, if everything is in phase, it will sound the same no matter which direction it's going.

Silver Member

Post Number: 127
i could be wrong about the way the subs go in the box, ive seen both ways, but its possible one could sound better than the other. Depending on how you wire your subs, you can get a 1 ohm load or a 4 ohm load, this is if you wire them togather and use a mono amp, or bridge the a8002t. The cheapest way to go is the a8002t, otherwise you would need a 1 ohm stable amp, these generally cost alot more. A8002t will put out 800rms @ 4 ohms, wire your subs togather for a 4 ohm load and your set.

Post Number: 6
anyone else have any comments about how the subs should be facing????

Bronze Member
Username: Matt12490

Post Number: 23
get a mono amp for your subs, not a 2/4 channel amp

Post Number: 7
would i be better off getting the:

A8000T (mono - 800 x 1 at 4ohms)

A8002T (2 channel that can be bridged to 1 x 800W RMS @ 4ohms)

they are both about the same price and it they'd both be running 1 x 800W RMS @ 4ohms. do you really gain anything over the other one? i might be wrong but i think the mono has a cooling fan and the other one doesn't. either way, someone let me know - i want to buy one today.

Gold Member
Username: Insearchofbass

Post Number: 1999
if you invert a sub you should reverse the polarity

Post Number: 9
sorry if I'm not an expert and probably sound dumb but what does that mean? are you talking about the direction they are facing in the box?

Gold Member

Michigan United States

Post Number: 2476
Yes Jerry, you need to reverse polarity when you invert the subs, other than that they have nothing to do with how the subs sound. When you reverse polarity, you simply switch the + and - terminals, as if you wired everything backwards.

As for what Seven7 said about the sub positions and wiring, he obviously hasn't a clue what he's talking about. Like I stated before, it DOES NOT matter which way the subs are facing, magnets in, or magnets out. This in no way effects how you wire the sub, except for reversing polarity.

Post Number: 10
i made a mistake: the A8000T is
@ 4 Ohms Mono - 400 x 1
@ 2 Ohms Mono - 800 x 1

so should i get this amp and run it @ 2ohms (800rms x 1) or get the A8002T and run it bridged at 4ohms (800rms x 1)?

Gold Member
Username: James1115

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 2974
Joe is exactly right here! it will have no affect on how they sound it is just a bigger target for a projectile to go through when slamming on the brakes or if you have little kids:-)

Gold Member

Michigan United States

Post Number: 2479
I never looked at it that way James....

I had an MTX inverted once, and one day when I slammed on my brakes, she slid back and tipped over and dented the inside of my trunk lid.

Gold Member

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 2975
in fact audiobahns are the #1 sub all the newbie's ans Xzibit!lol invert because of all the useless bling bling that they think looks good and the more chrizznome the better it sounds! lol

Gold Member

Michigan United States

Post Number: 2480
Yeah. Although, there was one episode of pi.mp my ride that was pretty funny. Some dumb@ss was talking about the Audiobahn subs he put into the poor guys car, and the dude goes "We put some real kickin stuff in his car. This stuff pumps man, it's high quality, some of the best out there" Xibit just looks at the guy and goes "Uhh, not really"

Gold Member
Username: Insearchofbass

Post Number: 2003
lol true statement by xibit the only thing is auidobahn can get loud but for the money elsewhere i go

Gold Member

Michigan United States

Post Number: 2481
Yep.

Gold Member

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 2982
yup but he runs them in his hummer!

Bronze Member
Username: Basshd

Post Number: 45
In an "inverted mount" such as is shown in the first picture, wire the sub the same as if the sub is mounted the "regular way". It makes no difference. If you wire them backwards just because they are inverted mounted then you may get cancellation. Also remember when you invert mount subs the enclosure volume will change a little, because you no longer have subs magnet and basket assembly taking up volume within the box, and actually you will gain enclosure volume because the concave cone of the subwoofer "adds" volume to the enclosure, hence the tuning of the enclosure can change when inverted mounted.

Gold Member

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 2986
thats tru displacment will play a factor but when in a box built to manufac specs that might make it sound worse and a bit boomier. If it was built to spec it would dampen SQ on a sub that already has No SQ to begin with.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us