BMW stock speaker replacement. Please advise

sunsetoneday
Unregistered guest
Hi,

My 5 series BMW speakers are really aweful so I wanted to upgrade them to something that will improve the sound. My budget is very tight and was thinking of having the front and rear 5 1/4 inch speakers replaced.

Spoke to a local store who suggested the Pioneer TSG1364 2-way at about £35.00 per pair, he said they were shallow and would fit the doors no problem. The deeper version, TSE1375 were about £50.00 per pair.

He suggested the TSG1364 for back and fronts. The question is these are 2-way and they also sell 3-way for a little extra. Is it worth getting the 3-way (all coaxials btw)?

I listen to a variety of music from rock, rap, pop to instrumental and want a richer sound than what I have as well as a touch of basss (something totally lacking in the BMW).

I can't afford to splash out on amps and subs so any advice on whether I should go 2-way or 3-way or even whether I should use shallows on front and deeper ones on the back; any advise at all would be appreciated before I commit. Thx in advance :-)

S.

Bronze Member
Username: Tim_9872

Post Number: 14
In my opinion a 2-way speaker will have more bass versus a 3-way speaker with 2 tweeters. This is because the wattage is divided into thirds (2/3 for tweeters and 1/3 for the cone) vs. (1/2 and 1/2 on a 2-way). You would get that much bass out of 5 1/4 inch speakers anyway.

sunsetoneday
Unregistered guest
Thx for that Tim.

S.

Silver Member
Username: Its_bacon12

Post Number: 210
hmm if you want some bass get a bazooka bass tube or something for low fill...

3 ways sound way better and it doesnt get divided 1/3, 1/3 and 1/3...tweeters handle less power than woofers usually and even so, its usually like 9/16" tweeter, 1.25" midrange and like 6" woofer

i personnaly like the 3-ways more, it also gives you more of a frequency spectrum

Silver Member
Username: Its_bacon12

Post Number: 211
wait...sorry i didnt read your post entirely sunsetoneday, you have a BMW 5 series and you cant afford to spend like $200 to get a low end amp and sub?

hell i have a 1986 lincoln town car and i have custom kick panels with infinity kap. perf 6.1 component sets and 6x9 3-way for rear fill with a 300/4 running them and an alpine 9814 i believe with a pair of shivas on a bp1200.1 with subsonic filter..

and im 17 lol

Adam B
Unregistered guest
Older Bimmers are not very expensive. And he maybe broke because of the Bimmer. I have an older 325 and I am broke. I am 17 too.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us