Tweeter Mounting in Small Truck

Silver Member
Username: Solacedagony

New Jersey US

Post Number: 411
Hey guys, I have a 2003 Ford Ranger, standard (not extended) cab. What would be the best position for mounting tweeters? Any concerns about tweeters in a small truck like that? Thanks for everyone's help in advance.

Silver Member

New Jersey US

Post Number: 421
Anyone have any links, articles or information on tweeter placement?

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 3917
No pictures, but since you have a 6x8 up front, you could make a custom mount for the woofer and the tweeter and put them in the door together, usually tweeters will fit above the woofer in a 6x8 location, even if not, it won't take much trimming to make them fit.

Silver Member

New Jersey US

Post Number: 426
So what you're saying is that putting the tweeters in the doors with the woofer will give me the best sound quality as opposed to mounting them elsewhere?

Silver Member

New Jersey US

Post Number: 427
I am considering getting a set of CDT comps, btw.

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 3929
It is almost always best to mount the tweeters close to the mid for optimum driver alignment (blending together). Only way tweets up top works very well is if you have the set crossed over in the 6khz region (rare) and you have a way to control volume level of the tweeters and time alignment.

Silver Member

New Jersey US

Post Number: 429
Oh alright, thanks for the input, I'll have to make some kind of mount in my door for the woofer and the tweeter. Any specific material I should use to build the mount and any tips or trick you could think of off the top of your head? Thanks again Jonathan.

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 3932
Wood if possible, be it plywood (marine grade is good) or MDF. Either way, if it isn't marine grade, try to seal it, stain it, whatever tickles your pickle to prevent the wood from water damage. Wood dampens resonance much better than metal and you'll get a cleaner sound. If you want to go a step further, sound deaden underneath it and sound deaden the entire door, closing off any holes that could allow the rear wave from the speaker to reach the front wave. This will minimize cancellation, tighten up the enclosure and give better sound with stronger midbass. No real tips or tricks, if you make the wood mount to fit the 6x8" hole and cut out for the woofer and tweet, you'll be good to go. Some minor trimming/cutting at the speaker opening may be required, nothing big or difficult, though.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us