Question for experienced avalanche lovers lol help me out

Silver Member
Username: Tdeaton1021

Near Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 339
okay i want to run a JL 1000/1 to my 15inch avalanche. i was thinking of going with a ported box tuned to about 30 Hz. should i instead get try to get another 15 avalanche and run both of them in a sealed box?

i will move more air this way but they wont get as much power. do you think it will be louder/ sound better? let me know what you think thanks

Gold Member
Username: Invain

Michigan United States

Post Number: 2340
Well, James swears that there's guys that run 1000 - 1500 wrms to the Avalanche's and they take it. I personally think you'd be fine with 1000 wrms, as long as you take it easy.

Gold Member
Username: Suleman36

Post Number: 1149
You will be fine but i whould go sealed in your case at 2.5 cubic feet. That is what im doing. If you do decide to go ported DO NOT TUNE IT above 24hz. If you do you will find out why..lol

It will be so LOUD you wont even be able to tell the music and all you will hear is BOOMY bass on every track. You can confrim this with Jonathan or the user on here E

Gold Member

Post Number: 1150
for box size go with 3.5 - 4.5 cubes tuned to 20 - 24hz and you will be happy and louder then sealed. Just make sure you have a nice componant set up front that has good top end because your avlanche will dominate the low end

Gold Member

Michigan United States

Post Number: 2342
Yeah, your gonna want to tune the box pretty low. Go check out the recommended ported enclosures for the Avy 18". With 500 wrms, Chad recommends a 20 cube box tuned to 12 hz. Do you know how low 12 hz is??? Do you know how dang big 20 cubes is?? That's insane.

Gold Member
Username: James1115

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 2821
yeah that sub is pretty much strictly for home audio. The reason you would have to tune the ava 15 so low is because of its very low FS(frequency response) it is 15.7 htz. I run mine sealed at 2.5 cu/ft with about 1000 watts and it is great:-)

Gold Member

Post Number: 1153
Hey James i am having that ported box built for my 12w6v2 right now by www.woodlawncabinetry.com and its gonna be 1.5 cubes tuned to 32hz. Cant wait to hear what it sounds like man. Im gonna run it off my crossfire vr1000d at 500 x 1 rms @ 2 ohm tested at 12.5 and it should slam.

Silver Member

Near Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 343
alright so if i go ported i need to tune it to about 24 Hz?... why does chad reccomend 27 then?
if i run the 1000/1 it will be about 1200watts tho
although james isnt telling the whole truth about the 1000-1500 watts lol because infact teamtoxic bass' pete runs 2000 watts each to his 15 avalanches.
but ported at 24-27 Hz will still be louder than sealed correct? and what would you ASSUME the volume would be. dont worry im not going to go build a box to what you say i just want a estimate.
thanks guys for your response

Gold Member

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 2822
team toxic made it very clear to Chad that if and when he fries a Voice coil running that much power it is not under warranty and he has no problem at all buying a brand new one. So if you have that kind of Cash then by all means go for it dude:-) Chad recomends tuned to 27 for home audio use not car audio use! car audio he will recomend sealed all day long.

Gold Member

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 2823
but if you were to go with the avalanche 12 chad has said that in a ported box tuned to about 22htz will be very very aggressive:-) I bought one and am waiting for it I am gonna do it in a 1.5 cu/ft tuned to 22htz and switch it up with my ava 15 sealed and see the difference. I also got an atlas 15 so I am gonna rotate all three and see how they alll compare to eachother:-)

Gold Member

Post Number: 1154
Hey james, make sure you make a special thread on that. i whould love to know how they compare. Thanks

Gold Member

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 2825
ohh I will, I am also talking to Chad about getting him to finally ship me one of his snail shell enclosures for anothe avalanche 15 so I think I will be able to do some great tests with them all, too bad they wont be available once I reveal the info:-(

Bronze Member
Username: Skyliner17

Saint Paul, MN United States

Post Number: 37
hey james, i also ordered a 12" and a 15" avalanche. i wanted to try both to see how each responds to my jl 1000/1. maybe do as u did with the 15 in a sealed and the 12 in a ported. what were the exact specs on your box for the 15"?

Gold Member

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 2826
on my 15 I am running 2.5 cu/ft sealed and the outside dimensions with a boubled up front baffle are 16(h) x 16(d) x24 (w) and for the 12 I am going to run 1.5 cu/ft ported tuned to about 20-22htz. That is a nice amp by the way I am doing all of my testing off of a orion HCCA 250g4 the nice thing about it is at 1ohm I get 800 watts @12volts for the avalanche tests and at 4ohms I get 200 watts x1 @12 volts for the atlas so it really works out perfect:-)

Bronze Member

Post Number: 38
the orion i sold you. anyway thanks alot.

Username: Basshd

Post Number: 2
Yes tune low, if you must use a ported design that is. Ported enclosures peak at 8-9 hz above fb or tuning so you will have massive output in the range of 36-45hz and very little ouput in the range of 27hz and below, in effect you will have a peak where you least want it in a vehicle, thereby making the bass output a lot more "boomy". Also you'll have very little low bass extension capability. With a tuning that high and with the power you want to use, there is a high probability with todays music that the driver will "unload" (to unload means that the subwoofer will act as if it is not in an enclosure)without the use of a ssf that is. I would recommend an enclosure with a volume of 3.5 cubic feet tuned in a range of 21-23hz if you must port. As far as toxicbass putting that much power into the sub they know what they are doing as well as it is only for short periods of time they did blow an avalanche though. Otherwise for ultimate bass extension and sq go with 2.5 sealed.

Silver Member

Near Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 345
so for a 15 avalanche every1 really makes it seem like sealed is definetly the way to go. i really wanted to try to get as close to 145 DB as possible but should i just forget about that and go sealed 2.5 cuft?

another question is... how is the shape of the box going to affect the sound/output? if i was going ported i did not want to make a fiberglass enclosure but with sealed i might make one that is mainly mdf and then somewhat fiberglass with the box on one side of the vehicle and the baffle slanting to point directly at the middle of the trunk door (escalade). if you dont understand i;ll try to show you some pictures i will draw on paint.

Silver Member

Near Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 346
where you dont see any boards is where i would mold the fiberglass to make it point at the back door in the way that it would bounce off the back door equaly to the cabin... the wood ring would be 1.5 inches thick and the fiberglass would be extremely thick for minimal vibration Upload

Bronze Member

Post Number: 39
Hey E or Basshd. are u talking about the 12" ava or the 15" ava. also would the 3.5 cu/ft. tuned to 21-23hz be alot louder than the sealed 2.5 cu/ft.

Post Number: 7
If your goal is ultimate spl then get a different driver! If what you want is 70/30 spl/sq (respectively) then a tuning of 30hz-35hz in 4 cubes will do, but be sure to use a ssf set to around 24-27hz to minimize unloading. Understand though, it will not be very "musical" meaning it wont cover the audio spectrum as good as a sealed or lowtuned enclosure. The other option to get massive output would be to build a folded horn ar transmission line enclosure, but an enclosure such as this would be huge compared to a simple ported alignment.

Gold Member

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 2828
chad has actually made these enclosures but he hasnt figured out a good shipping method yet:-(

Silver Member

Near Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 348
well i dont know about vincent but what im hopefully looking to do is have a great sounding and reliable system that can do this...

ppl at my school are all about kicker... i want to show them how one great overall sub with a well built enclosure and even less power than them can not only sound much better but also reach higher levels of SPL.

i know kicker is a SPL orientated company but they (kids at school) just buy any box and that is why i want to build my box very carfully for optimum SQL but my goal would be to reach 145 ONLY if it is possible to do so while holding great SQ... i will not supplement my SQ for SPL

Gold Member

Michigan United States

Post Number: 2345
Yeah James, that's a pretty big d@mn box to ship. The cost would be horrible.

Gold Member

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 2831
Go with the avalanche 15 man and throw on Late night tip by 3-6 mafia and it will leave them drooling seriously:-) Hey Sky yeah man that amp you sold me is absolutely fantastic man thanks bro:-)

Gold Member

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 2832
yeah Nick that is the problem he is having but I have shipped 33in tires before they cant be much lighter then that box if at all! it was only $100 to ship 4 50pound tires so it shouldnt be that bad.

Gold Member

Michigan United States

Post Number: 2347
Trevor, you gotta give me the low-down once your project is finished. I was gonna do the same thing as you, but I might not be able to get an Avalanche in time. I'd still love to hear some more honest opinions on them, from people who actually own them.

Gold Member

Michigan United States

Post Number: 2348
100 bucks to ship 4 50 lb tires? Who did you use to ship? I just went on ups and got a quote for shipping my guitar and amp, and it was like 50 bucks. Friggen rip-off.

Gold Member

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 2834
F UPS go fed-ex they are much cheaper! the only reason UPS is good in some cases is they are faster but Fed-ex is much cheaper. so you get it in 6 days instead of 4 but you pay half the price:-)

Gold Member

Michigan United States

Post Number: 2350
Wow really, thanks man I'll go check it out.

Gold Member

Michigan United States

Post Number: 2352
Lol, I checked out Fedex and it was more than 20 bucks cheaper.

Post Number: 8
Yes thats right vincent, for the avalanche 15 3.5 cubes tuned to 22 hz would be roughly 3-5 db louder at 21-30hz than a sealed enclosure at 2.5 cubic foot.

Silver Member

Near Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 352
joe im sure the day that i do install the sub i will be much too excited to come on here and write about it but im sure the next day i will want to boast on here so i;ll be sure to let you know how everything sounds lol, although im not going to put the Sub level on my EQ past like halfway for about a month, i really dont want to blow the sub. but man i cant wait. i just need to get an amp, and a batcap and i almost have the money.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1157
BatCap whould be a good choice for you sub amp Trevor. I am gonna use a model 800 for my sub amp to run the Avalanche 15.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us