Need to upgrade everything!!

Username: Xdeadsyx

Ohio

Post Number: 1
I have a 2002 Grand Prix and have not changed anything in it. Im not an expert in this area so i need help! The back speakers are beyond horrible and crackling bad. I need to replace them ASAP. Question is..what speakers to buy? To tell you what i like..i listen to mostly heavier music (Mudvayne, Pantera, Korn) and of course want a good clear sound with some bass. I figure with how bad they sound now..i will start there.
Also..anyone ever change the speakers out in a Grand Prix? Its looking like i need to take out the back seat just to do so!
Thanks

Silver Member
Username: Solacedagony

New Jersey US

Post Number: 405
If you want "good clear bass", then you more than likely are looking for subs. Speakers themselves won't give you those low frequencies.
Depending on how much work you want to do and how much you want to spend will depend on what stuff we recommend. Infinity coaxials would be a good place to start. Maybe even amp them if you want.
More then likely, the rear speakers will be removed through the trunk. Take a look around.

Ohio

Post Number: 2
Thanks Jake for the reply. I'll try not to sound too dumb...I do want to get subs but dont i need to replace the 6x9's or just unhook them and go with subs? I do want some nice bass..and i also like treble...i like to hear all the instruments clearly and not just all blended together...if that makes any sense to you. So if its subs i need to go with..what do you think would be a good choice for good bass...as in size..1 or 2..and brands.
Again i know VERY little about this so i really dont want it to get too complicated and want seomthing easy enough for me to hook up..for just subs..nothing over $200..basically however cheap i can go..but with good sound.

Silver Member
Username: Loc_out

Post Number: 145
You could get a 12 atlas for $100. It would be a nice sub..

Silver Member
Username: Solacedagony

New Jersey US

Post Number: 409
That's cool man, everyone has to learn at some point.
Your 6x9s are "full-range" speakers. In other words, they put out all frequencies. These are what put your high frequencies sounds out like cymbals and guitars, etc.
Subwoofers are more of a specialty speaker which is designed to put out low frequencies at higher volumes.
It sounds like you're looking for sound quality by your post. It'll be a squeeze to put subs and 6x9s in your car for 200$, but we'll see what we can do.
Like Loc_out said, you can get one of those Atlas'. Good subs for the money. You'd need to buy an amplifier to power the sub then. I just looked at www.ascendantaudio.com and found that you only need 250W for full output on this sub, so an amp will be cheap as well. That would definately cover you on the sub end. If you would want to save up to put new 6x9s in your car, that would improve your higher frequencies.
The Atlas is 4 ohm SVC (Single Voice Coil), so you'll need to find an amp that provides 250W RMS @ 4 ohms.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=18797%26item%3D5772911045 &tc=photo
There's a Phoenix Gold amp that provides 250W @ 4 ohms, near $200 with shipping though.
I have to go but I'll add more later. Leave a message with your thoughts.

Ohio

Post Number: 3
Hey
Well i know the total will be well over $200 by the time i get the HU and amp and speakers..etc. But i dont want to drop anymore then that at one time so i just need to start somewhere and go from there. Since the 6x9's are in bad shape i thought of starting there. Then branching out into a HU..then the sub and amp last thing.
From how it looked in the trunk..the speakers drop in from the top and the top is hooked in with tabs behind the back seat..thats why i said it looks like i would have to take out the seat to get them out and changed. I also thought instead of doing that i could buy 6x9 boxes and just put them on the back floorboards and run the wires into the trunk..is that a bad idea?? lol.
So if i want to start with the 6x9's..what should be some choices for what i want..keeping in mind i want to add a sub as well. And whats a good HU to go with it all. Everything i buy in electronics is Sony (reciever, dvd player, tv) but from what i have read..they are not the best in car audio.
Thanks!!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us