Need help!

Bronze Member
Username: Iufan4lifeul

Louisville, Kentucky

Post Number: 12
I just had problems with the wiring of my subwoofers. I took out all the wiring that went from the amp to the subs and replaced it with heavier gauge wiring. I went to try the system out and the subs push just as much air but don't put out hardly ANY bass or sound. It sounds and feels just like a fan and nothing more... What went wrong?!?! Thanks

Silver Member
Username: Mr_kebo

Albertville, Al USA

Post Number: 215
sounds like the polaritys are wrong. Check all that

Bronze Member

Louisville, Kentucky

Post Number: 13
ok... but both subwoofers are doing it... that is coincidental.

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 2852
What exactly is your subs doing then? Is it moving by itself or from music? What kind/type is your sub? DVC or SVC? What is your amp?

Bronze Member

Louisville, Kentucky

Post Number: 14
They are 2 12" Sony Xplod 900max/300RMS subs and an Alpine 700 watt max, bridged amp. The only noise they make is the sound of the air being pushed out basically. There is no "bass". The mirror doesn't shake at all etc yet they are still moving with the music just like they always did... kinda odd if you ask me. Any more thoughts?

Gold Member
Username: Invain

Michigan United States

Post Number: 2219
The subs aren't moving in opposite directions are they? Even a little difference in phase can cancel sound. Make sure both subs are in phase.

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 2854
Well you do know that Sony sucks in car audio right? What model is your Alpine amp? I don't recall seeing Alpine amps that put out 700w rms.
Did you by any chance touch gain/level/LPF or subsonic filter?
Since your subs are Sony, I'm guessing they're 4ohms SVC right? How did you wire them to the amp? In series or parallel?
For testing, try this, only hook up 1 of the sub to the amp. See if it still moves without producing bass. If it works, then test the other sub.
Depending on how your subs are wired, Alpine amp might not be 2ohms stable. Some amps can't handle 8ohms either.

Bronze Member

Louisville, Kentucky

Post Number: 15
Alpine amp does 700 max and 350 RMS. I did not touch the wires that go from the amplifier to the subwoofer box. Where the wire goes from the box to the subs is what i changed out. I have heard from several people how much Sony sucks. I have had these a little while and love them. I have been complimented by people with RF systems. They are very clean and accurate while still being fairly loud. These are a 4 year old model by the way...

Bronze Member

Louisville, Kentucky

Post Number: 16
anyone else have any ideas?

Bronze Member

Louisville, Kentucky

Post Number: 17
please?

Bronze Member

Louisville, Kentucky

Post Number: 18
ok, after about 30 minutes of working on them, checking and confirming correct polarity, replacing some bad wire, cleaning all connections, and making sure all connections were tight I turned the subwoofers on and YES! they are hitting together again... and with BASS! Well, just a little. Now they are about 1/20th as loud as they used to be... I think I might take them into an audio shop tomorrow. What could be wrong NOW?!?!?

Bronze Member

Louisville, Kentucky

Post Number: 19
oh and yes. I checked gain etc. etc. so it isn't some stupid thing like that. Again, they are moving normally but still not putting out normal sound...

Bronze Member

Louisville, Kentucky

Post Number: 20
any ideas?

Gold Member
Username: Insearchofbass

Post Number: 1929
sounds like what happened to me when my amp was taking a crap on me

Silver Member
Username: Car_bangs

Post Number: 102
what gauge wire are u using? any thing higher than 16 gauge for that amp and your losing a lot of power before it gets to your sub what gauge wire did u take out?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1930
mine was playing fine one day and then i went out to the car the next day and the subs sounded half as loud so i messed with the gains and such ...no dice ...so i shut it off the system and go out the next day thinking one more shot and nothing comes out of the sub ...the amp powers on but no sound and this is a mtx 81000d we talking about ..not what you want to see happen thank goodness i have 2 other smaller amps to use

Bronze Member

Louisville, Kentucky

Post Number: 21
The power wire is 8 gauge I think. Either 8 or 4. The SPEAKER wire I put in is 18 gauge and that is at least 3-4 times thicker than the speaker wire that connected the amp to the subs before.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1931
your power wire and speaker wire are sufficient gauge that isnt your prob id bet on that

Bronze Member

Louisville, Kentucky

Post Number: 22
that is what I thought. I checked all connections and polarity... I am thinking it could be a hardware problem somewhere... IF I had to get a new amplifier for some odd reason which I hope I dont. SHould I get that 700 watt max Alpine again for 200$ or should I get something more like a California Profile with like 1600-1800 max for the same price? I know the wattage is more but that 700 max Alpine is nice...

Silver Member
Username: Car_bangs

Post Number: 103
sony go bang and then it breaks

Gold Member
Username: Invain

Michigan United States

Post Number: 2244
"what gauge wire are u using? any thing higher than 16 gauge for that amp and your losing a lot of power before it gets to your sub what gauge wire did u take out?"

Are you talking about the speaker wire? If you are than 16 gauge is perfectly fine, especially for only 350 rms.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us