1994 Celica Headunit Help!!

Username: Biggallen87

Post Number: 1
Hi, new forumer here.

Well, i bought a Pioneer deck (Pioneer DEH-16).
So i took out my old Dynex deck, which wasn't
working before, and i matched up the wires. I
matched the yellow with the yellow, the ACC red
wire with the red wire, etc. The deck doesn't work.

I've been told my wiring is fine because the fuse runs both the lighter and the radio and the lighter works fine. Then again, it still doesn't sound liek that's evidence enough to prove it's the wiring or not. But i need help, my deck doesn't work though i've matched up all the wires. But before my previous deck stopped working... it smelled like burned rubber.. mean anything?

Please anybody, i need help. Is it my wiring.. is it my fuse? How do i check if it's my wiring or the deck or something. What's the problem here...

Thanks.

Silver Member
Username: Illuminator

Post Number: 146
Welcome to the forum! I hope you stay and post as often as possible!

The lighter and radio fuse are almost always seperate from what i've seen. You might want to check all of your fuses and make sure none are blown. If there aren't any blown fuses, then there is the possibility that you did indeed fry some of your wiring.

You can check the power wires for continuity using a mulitmeter.

Silver Member
Username: Geekbike

Post Number: 105
Wire colours aren't always the same between different HUs and vehicles, so you might have connected the wrong ones. Do a search for your vehicle and check the color codes of the wires.

Post Number: 2
anybody know the wiring code for a 1994 Celica GT?

it'd be much appreciated.

my fuse was blown and my clock works now and this same fuse powers the deck. so i'm sure the fuse is fine... but it's gotta be the wiring or something.

Post Number: 3
btw.. how do i check continuity with a multimeter?

i'm trying to learn on my own. sorry for the trouble.

Silver Member

Post Number: 226
I have a general wiring diagram: http://www.streetdreams.com/wires/toyota/general.html

If you have a mulitmeter, set it to volts dc / if given a choice go to a voltage higher than the voltage you are shooting. Car is 12 to 14 volts.

Touch the positive lead (red) to the location you should be getting power at, and the negative lead (black) to a ground. If you are getting power, it will tell you how many volts you are getting across the display.

By the way...we don't mind the questions, we're here to help!

Post Number: 4
so here's what i've come up with.

if jexxen's wiring diagram is correct.

I've connected the 12v wire from the deck to the yellow. The ACC wire to the red wire. No Ground wire is connected. as far as i know.. that's correct. but...

the ground wire is confusing me. from the deck to the harness.. the ground wire is connected. but from the other end of the harness the ground wire seems to be disconnected. and i can't seem to find anything to connect that to. on top of that i still didn't check the continuity with the multimeter. i'll be back with those results later. but i don't know what to do about that floating ground wire. do i "need" a ground wire to be running that deck?

thanks for the help guys.

Silver Member

Post Number: 234
Connect the ground wire of the stereo to a screw or bolt near where the radio is mounted in the dash. Make sure the wire is attached to metal frame part with a known good electrical connection to the battery negative. It's essential that you have the stereo grounded as to complete the circuit...
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us