Hey Jonathan, question about comp's!

Bronze Member
Username: Jbailey

Indianapolis, Indiana

Post Number: 88
Hey Jon, I wanted to know if you have ever listened to Phoenix Gold's Ti6 Comp Elite or A/D/S's 346 components? If so, what is the overall character of the sound they produce? I've never listened to them, but the PG's seem like an incredible bargain at $320 considering they originally went for $750 plus or something like that. I was in the process of buying a set of CDT ES-620's for a really good price, but that didn't work out and I am now filing a claim on Paypal against the fraudulent SOB! Anyway I am back to square one regarding finding a new component system to replace my Kappa Perfects and need to find a great set around the $300 mark, or less, that would give me the same kind of detail and accuracy, but with a more natural, less fatiguing sound and a little more midbass. I think a silk dome would be the best option for my tastes, but a somewhat laid back metal dome might be okay too. The ID CXS64 is another set I thought about, but I know you haven't listened to the tweeter or the complete set for that matter. I know you like the Adire Kodas, but I'm still a little skeptical about the metal tweets and wonder if the PG's or others might not be better suited to my tastes. I could still go with something from CDT also, but it would seem like kind of a downgrade to use the CL's or HD's since I was going to get the Euro's originally. Anyway, I would be very grateful if you could give me some ideas on the sets I've mentioned and any others that you like at that price point. Thanks very much for the help.

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 3879
Honestly I'm not too familiar with PG's comp sets. ADS components are well balanced, smooth, and accurate. As far as the Kodas, I wouldn't really call it a metal tweet. It is a polyamide (plastic, basically) base with a vapor deposited aluminum top in a ring configuration, the poly is self damped and doesn't the resonance a metal tweet does. It doesn't sound like a metal tweet, it is smooth, balanced, and gives great performance on or off axis. Anyway, the CDT HD set is a great set for the money as well, the tweeter is VERY smooth if not a little too soft (to some people, I like it) and the overall set is very neutral and accurate.

Bronze Member

Indianapolis, Indiana

Post Number: 89
Do you think the A/D/S and CDT HD's have better midbass response than the Perfects, because I know the Koda's definitely do? Also, in your opinion would either of these sets really stand out performance-wise, or are they all going to sound pretty even? Lastly, do you think any of these would really be a good match for my musical tastes and the fact that they must be mounted off-axis (low on the door with woofer in factory location and tweeter mounted very near and probably above). I listen to all types of music from classical to rap (except country), and want a set of components that sounds great with everything. I want it to sound good on rap and heavier rock, which I listen to quite a bit, but also be able to articulate the details and subtle nuances of lighter rock and jazz and music like Dead Can Dance (woman that did a lot of singing in the movie Gladiator) where vocals are showcased. The Perfects sound good and bring out details pretty well, but are still bright with the tweeter attenuated using the -4dB setting. The biggest requirement I have for the new set is that it can't be so friggin' bright and harsh that loud female voices, like the chicks from Lacuna Coil or Evanescence, sound painful and very fatiguing. Once again, I really appreciate your help with this and value your opinions. I wish I could hear all the sets myself, but I live in Indiana and no one carries any of that stuff around here. I can listen to Infinity or JL or even Focal anywhere, but none of the shops carry less mainstream equipment. Anyway, thanks.

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 3888
The ADS, HDs, and Kodas will all offer what you're looking for. In your situation I'd probably go with the HDs with the braxial mount, ease of install saying you plan to mount the tweet near the midwoofer. Great set and awesome performance on and off axis, works well with those types of music, and the midbass response is better than the Perfects as well. Really, I wouldn't consider the HDs a huge step down from the Eurosports, some people like them better.

"The biggest requirement I have for the new set is that it can't be so friggin' bright and harsh that loud female voices, like the chicks from Lacuna Coil or Evanescence, sound painful and very fatiguing"

Lacuna Coil shouldn't be painful, get those speakers :-) Christina Scabbia has a face melting voice, plus she's really hot :-).

Bronze Member

Indianapolis, Indiana

Post Number: 92
Hey Jon, your not kiddin' about Christina Scabbia. Lord is she hot!!! And that voice is amazing! That's why I'm so anxious about getting a new set of components, because the Perfects practically break glass when I'm listening to her. Anyway, I think you are probably right about the HD's with the braxial mount. I don't really want to cut a hole in the door panel and I certainly can't deal with the layered sound I'm hearing due to the tweeter being in the sail panel. CDT had told me the braxial version of the Euro's would sound best for my application too, when I contacted them a while ago. I also don't think the Kodas would fit in my doors because of the mounting depth (the Perfects are already a tight fit). Well, I guess I'm ready to start hunting down a set of HD's. Thanks for all your help buddy, I appreciate it. Oh, by the way, I noticed on a different thread that you decided to go with Rainbow Platinums instead of the Esotars for your new project. What made you change your mind? Man that car is going to sound phenomenal when finished especially with the Zapco power. Well, I wish you good luck with it. Thanks.

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 3890
"Hey Jon, your not kiddin' about Christina Scabbia. Lord is she hot!!! And that voice is amazing! That's why I'm so anxious about getting a new set of components, because the Perfects practically break glass when I'm listening to her."

Those CDTs will bring out her voice, very natural and fluid sound to them. CDT braxials are very nice and IMO the best thing if you don't want to cut out door panels. One of the best drop in sets you'll find, they do their homework on driver matching and crossover design. Plus you don't have the aggravation of having to get the tweeter just right.

"Oh, by the way, I noticed on a different thread that you decided to go with Rainbow Platinums instead of the Esotars for your new project. What made you change your mind?"

Pretty sure I am. I'm currently using the Dynaudio System 360, and really if I want the Esotar tweeter, I can always get them as raw drivers and custom build a crossover for them, then have one vehicle with Dynaudio and one with Rainbow. Both sets are phenominal and neither is really better than the other in quality, but the Rainbows are something different, plus the fact that I'm not exactly sure if I'm going to bite on this Mustang project or try to find another truck, the Rainbows are a little more flexible to the install due to the higher order crossovers and a little better off axis performance. I may end up getting a Ranger or something similar, but that's going to depend on if I can either continue to use my truck for hauling duties until I finish the house, or borrow my dad's F-250 and haul with that.

Bronze Member

Indianapolis, Indiana

Post Number: 95
Well, either vehicle would be fun to trick out, but I have to admit the Mustang sounds very intriguing to use for a stereo project. Out of curiosity, how are you able to actually listen to a lot of these component sets that are discussed on the forum? Have you purchased most of them over time yourself or have you known other people that owned them or does Georgia just have car audio shops that actually carry the cool stuff like Rainbow, DLS, CDT, Adire, Dynaudio etc? Until joining this forum I had never even heard of DLS, Rainbow or Adire, and although I knew of CDT and Dynaudio quite well, I would never have an opportunity to listen to them around here. I feel like I have been missing out on such a significant piece of the car audio spectrum and am thankful that I've been exposed to a lot of the less mainstream equipment that is so popular on the forum. It also helps having someone so knowledgeable about car audio around to communicate with me about equipment and ideas for installation because I really don't know who to trust locally. Man, I am so grateful for stumbling onto ecoustics! Thanks Jon.

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 3893
I used to coown a shop, so that covered Dynaudio, Focal, JL, Eclipse, Boston Acoustics, and a few others here and there for experimental reasons. Other stuff was from people that came in the shop looking for stuff like a head unit, or an amp, or little stuff, and they'd have different components that I listened to. Other than that I go to car shows when I get the chance, you'll run across a lot of different stuff there if you look hard enough, be it good stuff or crappy stuff. I have researched a lot of components in the past, but really Georgia sucks for finding top of the line stuff, it's mainly places like Florida and California that have huge car audio places like that.

Bronze Member

Indianapolis, Indiana

Post Number: 96
Yeah, I think I need to start checking out some of the shows and actually listening to some of the equipment. Hey, have you by any chance heard the aluminum dome tweeter from CDT? I have read reviews that discuss the DRT-26 tweeter (which will come with the HD63 set I plan on buying) and a lot of people seem to like the aluminum the best of the three options. I just want your take on how it sounds in comparison to the silk if you have heard it. Thanks Jon.

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 3895
CDTs tweeters are all fairly natural. The aluminum isn't a harsh tweeter, but a little more critical in the upper frequencies, it carries the attributes of a metal dome without being overbearing.

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 3896
Typo, neutral, not natural (well, they are natural, but I meant to say neutral :-))

Bronze Member

Indianapolis, Indiana

Post Number: 97
Thanks for your help Jon. I think I'm going to stick with the silk tweet. I'll let you know how everything sounds once I get the HD's and the ID Max installed. Take care.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us