Help a novice?

Username: Jt2005

STL, MO USA

Post Number: 1
i currently have a 1992 honda prelude, and i have a lame stereo system. I have a JVC head unit and some crappy sony Xplod speakers. recently one of the speakers broke (no suprise) and i wanted to up the quality. i am not looking for anything real serious, i just want quailty music at decently loud volume. I was looking into 6.5 inch speakers (i have four spots for 6.5 inch speakers) and was wondering what i should get...
i like infinity speakers (maybe aplines?)
should i get a componet system?
should i get only two front speakers? (do i leave holes in the back?)
should i buy an amp?
do i need a sub? and if so what would be a good small one
im not too stupid im sure if i find the speakers on ebay ill be able to install them, i was just lookings to see what car audio experts could tell me.
im looking to spend around 300 maybe

Bronze Member
Username: 1stimer

Post Number: 44
I am a newbie who is finding out how expensive this stuff can get. 300 bucks is going to be tough. I think if you got everything for 300 you would be dissapointed, so maybe you should start with a set of components and an amp to run them. Most people will tell you that a properly installed component system will sound better than a coaxial system. Does your headunit have rca pre-outs so that you would be able to run an amp or two? If not you will have to buy a new headunit as well. Was the sound from your old system good enough for you? Maybe you could just buy some quality speakers and be done?? You should really decide what you eventually want for a system, and then piece it together a little at a time. That way, you won't make too many bad decisions bcause you had to have everything for 300 dollars. Many people like infinity component sets and many will reccomend the infinity perfects for around 200. Listen to some speakers at a shop...see if you like any of them....then research how many watts it will take to run them....then research an amp that pushes approximately that much power....speaking of research...do it...read, read, and read some more and listen to as many speakers as you can. good luck
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us