Any thoughts on the system i think i am going to install? please criticize. Thanks.

Bronze Member
Username: Masse1369

Post Number: 16
Head Unit: 1 Eclipse CD8455

CD Changer: 1 Eclipse CH3083

Front Stage: 1 CDT Audio HD63Z
1 CDT Audio HD-4LP

Imaging: 1 CDT Audio M525S

Rear Fill: 1 CDT Audio HD6

Amplifier: 1 Zapco REF750.2
1 Zapco REF500.1
1 Zapco I-250

Subwoofer: 1 Image Dynamics IDMAX12D4 v.3

Wiring: 2 Stinger HPM 4 Gauge Amp Kit
1 Stinger HPM 8 Gauge Amp Kit w/ RCA's
3 Stinger Bullet Series 17ft. RCA's
1 Stinger 12 Gauge Speaker Wire Spool (50 ft)

Capacitor: 1 Stinger SCKH1 (1 Farad)

Battery: 1 Optima Red Top

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 3844
All great stuff. You definately won't be disappointed.

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 3845
If you want install help, BTW, we're all here for advice. I know you want to get best results with the system, which is fairly easy with a midrange that covers 6 octaves.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 17
i have a guy that works for a company called american radio down here in jacksonville that supposedly is one of the best in the area. i nothing about the install side of it at all. i am going to spend the day with him at his house while he does, he does have like a whole shop at his house. i want to be able to learn about this kind of stuff so i am going to spend the time with him to learn it. jonathan, you are fairly close to me, i live in jax, fl. where are you in ga. stockbridge?? let me know. you seem like you really know what you are talking about and i wouldnt be completely against coming up there and letting you do the install. i assume that you do this kind of stuff for a living or as a real serious hobby. anyway just curious. thanks.

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 3847
I just install for my personal benefit, I was never MECP certified nor did I install as a career, I simply learned the hard way by studying the acoustic properties of the car and experimenting, at the expense of materials and some free time. I never did installs for people mainly because I don't have a ton of free time between work and building my house plus the fact that I don't have access to the materials needed for a reasonable price, such as upholstering fabrics, fiberglass, wood, etc. If the installer is willing to take the time and teach you, and he's close, you'll learn a lot more from it anyway. Plus he's a certified installer and capable of guaranteeing his work in the case that something goes wrong. I'm going to have to take a vacation just to get this next project rolling if I can, planning a 65 Mustang build (found one for $5000 in great shape) with Rainbow Platinums and possibly ID Max subs again, if I get the moolah up Zapco amps and signal processing. BTW, I'm in Elberton at the moment, but just renting a house for now until my house is finished. North Georgia about 30 miles from Athens. I think theres another guy on this forum that lives in Stockbridge, not sure who though.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 18
i saw those signal processors on zapco. what do they do? and should i get one for my system? thanks.

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 3848
There are multiple ones, there are the preamp/crossovers, the 1/3 octave EQs, the DACs (digital to analog converters), and other assorted items such as Symbilink conversion processors. The ones I was referring to using would be the SP4-SL, which is a preamp/equalizer/crossover, which performs as a system volume, a sub level control, a crossover for the sub, and converts an analog signal path into Symbilink for use with their amplifiers and other equipment. Symbilink is a balanced 16V signal path, it assures optimum resolution and noise rejection and replaces RCAs. It also contains a 4 band equalizer for adjustment for personal tastes on songs. Then you have their 1/3 octave EQs, which are exactly that, 31 band graphic equalizers. Other things include more exotic items such as the DACs for use with optical lines, more exotic crossovers are available as a system active crossover, and so forth. If you want anything else, I'd recommend 1/3 octave EQs, and for your head unit and system overall, you don't need Zapcos EQs since Symbilink isn't an option for you, Audiocontrol makes an excellent 1/3 octave EQ in the EQT. You'd need two of them optimally, one for each channel. I wouldn't bother using them on the rear speakers since they're for fill.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 19
i found the audiocontrol one on www.woofersetc.com. why is symbilink not an option for me and what exactly will the 1/3 octave eq do for me? thanks.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 20
why couldnt i get the sp4-sl with symbilink? i could install the sp4-sl right underneath my head unit, couldnt i?

Bronze Member
Username: Safa19

Post Number: 11
is zapco a good brand or amps or is are there alot better amps out there?

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 3852
Ryan, I just looked back at your equipment list, sorry, I overlooked that you were going to use Zapco amps, I thought you were going to use something else, my mistake. You can use Symbilink :-). Yes you could install the SP4-SL under the head unit. The 1/3 oct eq will assure that you get a very flat frequency response in the car, allowing you to adjust 31 equalizer bands and get a very balanced sound, the SQ will most likely be much better than if you were running the drivers without an EQ. Only way it wouldn't be better is if the system magically had a flat response in your vehicle, which is highly unlikely :-).

Joe, Zapco makes some of the best amps you can buy.

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 2820
You know what's good about old Mustangs? There's plenty of space under the hood for your hands. Changing most parts is a snap too.
Modern cars have very little space and changing a spark plug, could require dismantling air intake and header sometimes. I'd like to strangle the genius that came up with that idea. Spark plugs and few others should have easy access for maintenance. I found some cars that have 3 spark plugs on top and 3 hiden amongst wires and pipes. No way you can pull those suckers out unless you take half the car appart. This is why for some cars, they charge $300+ for a simple repair.

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 3854
I can change a transmission out on a 65 Mustang in the time it would take me to install a fan belt on a modern car. Plus the parts availability for these cars are endless, and I can upgrade what I want to "modern" standards thanks to the fact that American manufacturers kept small block engines the same in nearly every area up into the 90s, with the exception of minor differences like machining for roller camshafts and differing cylinder head designs, but an overdrive transmission and fuel injection would be my only upgrades in that arena if at all. Best thing about a 65 Mustang is that they are very light, a 65 Mustang weighs less than a Honda Civic. With a built 302 motor, fuel injection and overdrive, you can still crack 25mpg on the highway if you tune it right and have a fun time doing it. Speaker installs are a breeze too, nothing getting in the way of the speakers or imaging path, and have you seen the kick panel area of those cars? It's huge :-)

"I'd like to strangle the genius that came up with that idea."
I thought that the whole time I had my Camry. What idiot puts an oil filter less than an inch from the exhaust header, or the spark plugs facing toward the firewall on the rear bank of the engine without hardly any clearance?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us