What in the hell can I get to fix this problem???

Gold Member
Username: Taylor17

Kopperl, Texas

Post Number: 1636
When I'm listening to the radio at half way, I have to crank the truck every 15 minutes. If I'm listening to it at a quarter of the way up, it needs to be cranked about every 30 minutes.
Is there anything I can do/buy to make it where I can have the radio on for at least an hour with out running the battery down, or cranking it every other song?:-)
The battery I have now is farryly new, so I'm pretty sure it doesn't need replacing either.

Gold Member
Username: Fishy

Tamarac Ft.Laud, FL USA

Post Number: 1094
If you're really into running your system with engine off I'd invest in a yellowtop and an isolator.

If I want to listen to tunes while not on the road I simply go inside and crank up the Harmon Kardon stuff. It sounds a lot better than your typical car audio setup.

Of course I never run my system for extended periods of time w/o the engine running.

-Fishy

Gold Member

Kopperl, Texas

Post Number: 1642
Lol, yup with gass prices now day's.
Why a yellotop, and what is an isolator? I've heard of them, but could you explain?
Thank's

Gold Member
Username: Fishy

Tamarac Ft.Laud, FL USA

Post Number: 1096
A yellow top is a deep cycle battery

http://www.optimabatteries.com/publish/optima/americas0/en/config/product_info/a utomotive.html

which means you can nearly fully discharge and recharge it w/o damage. An isolator allows you to charge both your starting battery and a deep cycle while keeping them separated. That way you can run that yellowtop down a good bit running your system w/o having to worry about being able to start your car.

You'd have to find a place to mount the extra battery of course.

-Fishy

Gold Member

Kopperl, Texas

Post Number: 1646
My truck already has a place for an extra battery, so that shouldn't be a problem.
So, I buy a yellowtop battery, and use it as my second battery... it just powers the system? Then the isolator keeps the other battery... battery 1 from running down? Is this right?
P.s, where is a good place to look at isolators, and is there anything spacific I need to look for when buying one?

Gold Member
Username: Subfanatic

Walton, Ky

Post Number: 3238
you could prolly go to pep boys to pick one up, make sure ist for your car

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 2762
Taylor17, with standard isolators, you will need to cut into your existing power wires. Some even require you to cut the ignition wire on the alternator. If you want to save yourself the labour/headaches, look for Orion MBR 70. It will allow you to use up to 2 extra batteries in your car without much work. No need to cut any wires either.
If you're going to add yellowtop battery, don't forget, you will need to change the power wire from your starter battery to yellowtop.
Last week someone was selling MBR 70. I told MO to bid on it cause they're discontinued.

Gold Member

Kopperl, Texas

Post Number: 1651
ok... my only other worry is that my alt won't keep up with charging 2 battery's, and upgrading alt's is a little expencive at the time. My alt is having a little problems as it is, but adding a second would just make it worse wouldn't it?

Gold Member

Post Number: 2788
In your case, having a 2nd battery and isolator would be a good candidate. Sure it'll put some more strain on your alternator, but when the demand exceeds suppply, the amp will be tapping into your 2nd battery instead of the starter.
However, if you think about it, Optima yellowtop battery and isolator will cost as much as a HO alternator.

Gold Member

Kopperl, Texas

Post Number: 1655
Why a Optima battery? why couldn't I just buy a deepcycle battery?
Also is there any websites that are good for islators?

Gold Member

Post Number: 2791
Look for Orion MBR 70. It is the best.
Any deepcycle battery will do. Optima is just one of the popular brand and is pretty good for the money.

Gold Member

Kopperl, Texas

Post Number: 1672
Ok Thank's.

Username: Yeah_toast

BIG SB South Bend, IN USA

Post Number: 3
Ok sense you are all smart about this here it goes. I have to amps and well about to anways, and im going to run a second battery. now i got a ho alt and upgraded the big 3 under the hood and was wondering was do i still have to put a fuse after the second battery to amp right? and would 4 gauge wire be enough to run to the second battery or should i run a 0 gauge wire to it (i think ill do that anywas) but is that a waste of money and i think thats about it please help?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us