Alpine's integrated X-Over & EQ in CDA-9855?

Unregistered guest
I currently own an Alpine CDA-9825 HU which I have combined with an Alpine ERE-G180 11 band EQ and a Clarion MCD360 2/3-Way X-Over.

Background on my setup:
My HU of course is set to defeat and I'm bypassing the subwoofer controls on both the HU and the G180. So I have "equalized" full range going to my MCD360 crossing over sub, mid and highs to 3 seperate amps. I prefer the x-over controls on the MCD360 over the built in controls on the amps and even the x-over that comes with my component speakers. I also opted to use the sub-woofer gain control on the MCD360 over either sub control on the HU or EQ. So as far as sound is concerned, I'm pretty happy with this setup and I'm very happy with the MCD360.

Problem:
That said, because I like different music genres, use different music sources (CD/MP3 vs. Satellite), it can be frustrating when I have to modify the EQ (usually for highs). If you're familiar with the G180, it's not a digital EQ, so you have to slightly...very slightly...slide the band control to make any modification. Because the car is a Miata (which can be bumpy), I'll inevitably slide too much or too little. Plus there's other concerns like traffic. If I put too much focus on balancing my EQ in bumpy conditions, I'll eventually cause an accident.

One Solution:
I've already changed my 6 year old G180 11 band EQ for a Clarion EQS744 7 band. I figured since I was so happy with their X-Over, I might be impressed with their EQ. My main reason for switching from the Alpine to the Clarion was because of the knob style controls over the slide type in the Alpine. I figure it would be easier to make changes, and although the Alpine sounds great...I probably don't need 11 bands.

CDA-9855 "Cleaner", Easier, Better solution?:
I haven't hooked up the Clarion EQ yet as I'm in the middle of rewiring everything in the car as I'm making some changes most of which are now cosmetic. Now I'm interested in the CDA-9855. The idea of having a 6 band integrated EQ (parametric no less!!), plus a 3-way x-over sounds great!! At the same time, I wonder if it's too good to be true. I've always been an Alpine fan, but for this, I don't know what to expect.

Question:
My question is for anyone out there who's had any experience using the 3-way x-over functionality on the CDA-9855. I especially would like to hear some opinions on anyone who can compare it to an external 3-way. Also, any input on the 6 band EQ? Personally, I never cared for the "bass engine", "media xpander", or parametric features on my CDA-9825. In fact, I think the sound processing features on that HU are very poor. I'd like to hear some opinions on this one before I move any further. Thanks.

allende5
Unregistered guest
I just read some reviews on the CDA-9855 in a previous post (don't know how I missed it before). It seems there are some complaints about the design and overall quality of 9855. Hmmm... not a good sign.

So, in my above post, apply the same questions to the CDA-9835 model. Thanks!

Username: Rc_raycer

Post Number: 9
Some of the reviews you read were probly written by people who read reviews of other people because i read them too. I owned i 9831 which is pretty close to a 9835 but worked very well. Now however i own a 9855 which does circles around the other units plus the 9831 and 9835 are now discontinued.

The equalizer in the 9855 is close to that of the 9831 and the 9835 only better and much easier to use with more tuning options. It comes with 7 or 8 factory presets for various genres of music which is really nice and fast to adjust. If your like me you would probly like to set the equalizer yourself. You have two choices: a 5-band parametric or a 7-band graphic equalizer. i prefer the parametric. You use a combination of the rotary knob and glide touch to set the band, the frequency of each band can be adjusted from 20Hz to 20kHz in 1/3 octave steps, as well as the level can be adjusted from -6 to +6 dB, lastly the Q can be adjusted from 1.0, 1.5, and 3.0. Most of these steps apply to the graphic equalizer as well, it is all very fast and easy, much easier than on the 9831 and 9835.

As for the crossover, it is also a good feature and works wonderful. i was able to eliminate my active crossover in the trunk in place for this one. It is also easy to use and can be set to either two or three way modes. The slope can be adjusted to five different settings: flat, 6dB, 12dB, 18dB and 24Db. Output can also be dajusted -12 to 0dB.

please reply with any other questions on the HU. I know it inside and out. I wasn't disappointed in any way and i don't think you will be either.

Username: Focusrocker

Post Number: 1
I have just installed the 9855. I am having a problem with the setup menu - audio.

It should cycle like so. subwoofer->subw ch ->subw system -> etc.....
mine does not show the subw ch selection.

I am unable to run my preouts in mono mode.

any ideas.

allende5
Unregistered guest
Dominic-

Thanks alot for your input. I'm glad I had the chance to get a first hand opinion.

-allende5

Username: Focusrocker

Post Number: 2
bump

Post Number: 10
Daryl you have to go th general setup and turn on sub outs first then that option will come up.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
allende5 - let me know how everything works out and ask questions if you need to.

derren
Unregistered guest
*out of topic

Dominic u mentioned owning a 9831,
Do u know how to take off the front screen to get at the display screen underneath?
Thanks.

allende5
Unregistered guest
Dominic-

Well, I had the chance to check out the 9855 & 9853 last week. Man, it's amazing that they can cram all the ability into a head unit...really cool. The shop was rather limited, so I couldn't really sample the sound quality of the HU using the x-over, but the parametric EQ was very sweet.

I began to show my age when I stood in front of the unit for a good ten minutes confused. The sales guy was busy, but I got the manual from the owner. Finally, I was able to get somewhere. The interface was definately different. When I was a kid, our parents needed our help to do things like program the VCR. Well, the tables have turned. I'm 32 now and for the first time in my life, I felt completely out of my element around an electronic gadget. Man, I'm getting old.

It turns out that the functionality is all there, but for me, I'm not able to make quick changes to the EQ when on the road. Since you'd have to click and slide a few times before getting to the menu, it would take too long. So, I guess I'll stick with my Alpine/Clarion/Clarion combo for now. Thanks though, for your input. I know now that I made the best decision for me.

-allende5

dr8gonese
Unregistered guest
hello everybody... im a proud new owner of the 9855 and loving it. the only thing im confused about is how the crossover works. im refering to the slope and frequency. i want to filter the lows from my front and rear speakers. i set it to 125hz but was confused on what to set the slope at since the manual says you have to set the slope in order for the hpf to work. if someone can please help me it would be greatly appreciated. thanks

spent 2 hours figuring out
Unregistered guest
Derren, take out the 4 screws, get a good grip and pull off the rotary knob, pry sides open and voila!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us