Amplifier amp draw?

Bronze Member
Username: Sevin7

Post Number: 59
looking into this amp:
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_2306.html
a few questions about it.
1. it says it puts out 750rms x2 channels @ 1 ohm, so if i had 2 dual 2 ohm subs, that would present a 1ohm load for each sub, meaning 750rms for each of them, correnct?
2. it says its 750rms x 2 channels @ 1 ohm STEREO, most of the sub amps say they are mono, stereo means left and right channel, but the subs dont need 2 channels of sound. Would this present a compatability issue for using 2 subs ~@1000rms?
3. the amp only has 2x 25amp fuses in it if you look at the picture, does this mean it cant draw more than 50 amps from my alternator, but how can an amp putting out over 1500rms not draw more than 50 amps?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 64
issac i know your on becuase u just answerd my other question.. come answer this one you genious

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 7799
"1. it says it puts out 750rms x2 channels @ 1 ohm, so if i had 2 dual 2 ohm subs, that would present a 1ohm load for each sub, meaning 750rms for each of them, correnct?"

yes

"2. it says its 750rms x 2 channels @ 1 ohm STEREO, most of the sub amps say they are mono, stereo means left and right channel, but the subs dont need 2 channels of sound. Would this present a compatability issue for using 2 subs ~@1000rms?"

no conflict. I ran a show car with a stereo amp and two subs for years.

"3. the amp only has 2x 25amp fuses in it if you look at the picture, does this mean it cant draw more than 50 amps from my alternator, but how can an amp putting out over 1500rms not draw more than 50 amps?"

class T amplifier. 80% efficiency.
50A peak continuous current, so you're not going to get more than ~600 watts from that amplifier total power RMS.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 65
why does it say it will put out 750rms x2 if it wont put out more than 600? it doesnt make sense to make it have 2x 25A fuses if its only 80% effcient , wouldnt it need like 150A to run 1500rms? if so why do they only put 50A into it? this is stupid why wont i get more than 600 out when it says it puts out way more? err makes me mad

Bronze Member

Post Number: 69
someone please explain... i really wanna know if that amp really wont give me wat its rated to power? whyyy would they say it if it doesnt?!

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 2712
Sevin7, you get power by taking current and mulitplying by voltage. Therefore, 50A x 12v = 600w. Let's say your car generates 13.5v, so 50A x 13.5= 675w.
No matter what a manufacturer says, they can't perform miracles. There is no magical box that will defy the ohms law.
So what glass said is true, 600w rms is the average you will get with 50A fuse.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 70
so that amp is way over-rated? i guess i will need a HO alt if i wanna get some real power...

Bronze Member

Post Number: 71
if all this is true, the entire audiobahn true digital series of amplifiers are bull$hit? Becuase all of them say they put out alot but have very small fuses, their other amps are not like this, only the digital ones. Would they put out more if you put bigger fuses in them? IT just doesnt makes sense why they would do this? are you guys sure it isnt some digital $hit that makes it put out more? lol that probaly sounded stupid but it doesnt make sense audiobahn would do this?

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 2714
Correct. Pyramid and Sony's been doing it for years. Claiming that their amp with 40A, can produce 2000w. Anyone in electronics knows, that is not possible.
If you can get HO alternator, you have nothing to lose. It's not like the alternator will be over producing power. It'll only supply what's needed.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 72
yeh i was planning on getting one, but i found this amp and realized it only consumed 50A and that would allow me to not have to spend another $200 for a HO alt. But i guess i have to if i want some power..., so HO alt it is, with a real amp that isnt a lie

Bronze Member

Post Number: 73
looking @ all these amps almost all of them have underated fuses, or overrated power. They are saying they are putting out 1500+ rms w/ 90 amp fuses, the only ones that have massive fuses are the ones that cost alot... lol now it makes sense. RF amps have monster fuses, the 1000rms RF amp has a 150A fuse. most of the 1000rms amps have 60-90A fuses

Gold Member
Username: Suleman36

Post Number: 1030
I have a zapco 500m referance mono class a/b and it has a 40A fuse. Its capable of 538x1 @ 4 ohms and 700x1 @ 2ohms and it really does produce that power with the 40A fuse.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 74
how is that possible? and how do you know it really produces that much power? i have 2 sides telling me different things, i'd really like to know wats up with this, becuase i like that amp and i cant take more than 50A or ill have to spend another $200 for a HO alt.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 75
can you change the fuses in amps to get more power of out of them? becuase on another site that amp that said it can do 1500rms had different fuses in it, they were different color but i didnt know how many Amps. And the other site said "N/a" as fuse rating, and alot of the audiobahn amps say "N/A" as fuse rating even if it shows the fuses. Are you susposed to change the fuses based on how much power you using?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 76
ansswer??

Gold Member
Username: Fishy

Tamarac Ft.Laud, FL USA

Post Number: 1060
A 40 amp fuse doesn't imediately blow upon receiving slightly more than 40 amps. It takes a lil bit so its possible for some of these amps to provide more power than would be thought possible for very short periods of time at least.

I have a 400 watt PPI high current amp that came with only a 35 amp fuse. I know this thing isn't THAT efficient. It would blow the fuse if pushed to the limit for extended periods of time while bridged @ 2 ohms, but for normal operation that didn't sound like total crapola the 35 amp fuse was plenty.

I did substitute a 40 amp fuse when a 35 amp wasn't available, but this isn't something I'd recommend to others. The fuses that come with an amp are chosen for a reason. You run the risk of dorking your equipment if you start swapping them out for larger sizes.

-Fishy
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us