James, Issac...Need your advice please!

Bronze Member
Username: Ethan68

Post Number: 19
I got a ADS830X hooked up to four Boston Z6, the SQ is great but it doesn't seem to have enough power although the ADS claims to produce 4x120W RMS. Also there's a humming noise from the amp and it's not alternator whine.

I want to get a new amp and would like your opinion on the following options:

1. Zapco C2K4.0X
2. Arc Audio 4150-XXK
3. Soundstream HR4
4. two JL 300/2
5. two Zapco C2K2.0X

Also which amp is best to drive the Boston G512 sub (450W RMS)?....JL 500/1, Zapco C2K2.0X or C2K3.0X

Thanks!

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 2571
Ethan, the thing with sound quality is, it makes 100w feel like nothing. You could actually be y getting 125w.
The humming noise is probably due to bad rca connection/ground.
On your amp, I'd go with Zapco C2K 4.0X first, then Arc Audio. Don't bother with Soundstream/JL.
With Zapco's symblilink, you shouldn't have any mroe humming noise problem.
Zapco C2K 6 is a much better amp for your Boston. However, it might be pricey. If you can afford it, then get Zapco, if not JL 500/1 is a good alternative.
In fact, MO user on here is selling his new JL 500/1 amp. I'm sure he'll give you a good deal.

Gold Member
Username: James1115

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 2580
that is pretty much exactly what I would have said also lol! If you have the money I would run all zapco it is very very nice stuff and I love matching amps in a custom install I think it looks great especially when they look as nice as the zap c2k series:-) by the way those are very nice products that you already have, those z's sound fantastic and the G5 series subs are one of the best subs I have ever heard:-) I think I might do one of them next:-)

Gold Member

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 2581
that is pretty much exactly what I would have said also lol! If you have the money I would run all zapco it is very very nice stuff and I love matching amps in a custom install I think it looks great especially when they look as nice as the zap c2k series:-) by the way those are very nice products that you already have, those z's sound fantastic and the G5 series subs are one of the best subs I have ever heard:-) I think I might do one of them next:-)

Bronze Member

Post Number: 20
Thank you both for your advice, just 2 more questions:

Will two C2K2.0X sound better than one 4.0X or is it the same? I've got a good deal on two 2.0X, it's cheaper than one 4.0X.

Is the C2K6.0X (1x900W) too powerful for the Boston G512 (450W rms)?

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 7783
the humming is most likely caused by the amplifier gain being turned up too far in hopes of using the gain to improperly make up for a lack of power from the amplifier. That's pretty commin.
turn the gain down and see if the hum stops.

just looked at the manual for amp and speakers
the 830X is 120 watts RMS x 4 bridged
the Z6 sets handle 30-400 watts RMS/channel
you could go with a lot more power than you have now if you feel it's needed without damage to the speakers.
That system should be pretty loud already though unless there's a serious problem somewhere else.
How much juice are your amps getting? do voltage rails sag at all? using a high output alternator?

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 7784
I'd go zapco C2K all the way with the Z6s and the G5 sub.
I'd also go Symbilink signal path and zapco signal processing if you go that route.

Silver Member
Username: Suleman36

Post Number: 971
Hey glasswolf, i own a zapco 500m referance amp/ mono class ab. It putso out 538x1@4ohms and 700x1@2ohms. Should i just run rcas when i install it. I dont know to much about the symbilink but it comes with the cable.

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 7789
RCAs are fine.
you'd need to use zapco's other products to utilize symbilink signal paths.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 21
Thanks Glasswolf! But which model C2K should I get.....one 4.0X or two 2.0X, will two 2 channels sound better than one 4 channel?

Also is the 6.0X too much power for the Boston G512? Do you think the 2.0X or the 3.0X will be enough?

Gold Member

Post Number: 2606
Ethan, I'd go with C2K 6. It's not like you're going to get 900W as soon as you turn on the amp. The volume has to be raised close to the max setting.
You can also wire the sub in series for 8ohms (assuming it is 4ohms DVC) for 300w rms on C2K 6.

Gold Member

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 2635
I second that notion lol! It is always better to run an amp at its point of most resistence, that is when you will get the best SQ without straining the amp whatsoever. If you can run that amp at 8ohms and you have the moey to do it I would deff do that rather then run the 2.0x at 2ohms.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 22
Thank you both for your advice. I don't know exactly what you mean by wiring the sub for 8ohms. But please correct me if I am wrong.....since the G512-44 is a dual coil sub, I can hook it up to the C2K6.0 using both channels to get 2x300W into 4ohms, is that what you mean?

Gold Member

Post Number: 2674
No. Take each voice coil and connet them in series, that is take one pos from 1st VC and connect it to the neg on the 2nd VC. Now use the connectors that are open for pos and neg. This will give you 8ohms.
Use the C2K 6 amp in bridged mode for 300w rms. This way it will not over power the sub. And when you get a more powerful sub in the future, you can wire it for 4ohms load for 900w.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 23
Thanks for your help, I'll go with the C2K4 and C2K6.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us