Basic questions concerning OHMS/BRIDGING

Username: Teomcdohl

Wantagh, Ny USA

Post Number: 8
Hey all. I wanted to ask you guys a few questions surrounding all of this stuff. I have a project in school and it's my job to explain car audio... so I figured I'd ask.

1. Why are OHM's so important? I know that less OHMS mean more of a power flow and this can damage an AMP. What about more OHMs? What happens when this is the case?

2. Bridgable amps. Whats the point for briding an AMP?

3. Series vs. Parallel. What are the postivies/negatives against this?

I have installed a system in a friends car but I didnt understand all of the stuff too well.. I'd like to know the science in it a little more.

Also, how are the regular speakers in a car wired? they seem to be neither series/parallel but have their own wires... is it possible to do this? would there be a benefit to doing such a thing? why/why not?

Thanks all!

Gold Member
Username: Taylor17

Kopperl, Texas

Post Number: 1549
Take a look at www.bcae1.com it will have everything you need to know and more!:-)
If you don't understand something... we'll be glad to help.

Gold Member
Username: Subfanatic

Walton, Ky

Post Number: 2979
ill answer everything for ya lol

1) first to understand ohms you must understand ohms law, this pretty much states, Everytime u halve an ohm you double your power, here an example, If we had the PERFECT amplifier, which doesnt exist lol, and we could supply an unlimited amount of power to it this is how it would react. If it started at 16 ohms, and 100 watts then i would go like this
OHM Watts
16 100
8 200
4 400
2 800
1 1600
.5 3200
.25 6400
and it would keep repeating this until it reached zero, but if u know math, thats not possible so it would go infinitly large.
But basically an ohm as my understanding is ohm is the unit of measure of a device's opposition to the flow of current. One ohm of resistance will allow only one amp of current to flow through a circuit when one volt of electrical force is applied to the circuit.

2) The point of bridging an amp is to make moer power of what we already have, for isntance, if i have 2 subs and a nice 2 channel amp, somen happens o one of the subs and i want to use the other one, i can bridge the amp to give it more power.

3) wiring in series doubles your ohms, wiring in paralell halves your ohms, this way if u have a 2 ohm DVC (dual voice coil) sub and your amp isnt stable down to 1 ohm then u can wire in series to get 4 ohms, a safe amount for your amp, and if u have a 4 ohm sub and it can be wired down to 2 ohms in parallel.

Question without a number lol
Speakers in cars are SVC (single voice coil) there is no need to wire in series or paraleel becuase there is only one voice coil. hope this helps
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us