Will i need a new Alt?

Username: Lowdose

St. Louis, Mo

Post Number: 6
Im gonna go ahead and use my PPI PCX480 for my frontend and PCX2400 for my 2 subs. Slowly getting all my pieces togther ). Question is will I need a HO alt for these 2 amps? I have an MBR 70 also sitting somewhere around here I could also use that. But will I still need a HO alt?

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 2509
Add up all the fuse sizes on the amps and then compare that number with your current alternator. If you're still using stock, they're around 60A - 75A.
Car's internal electrical components will eat up most of that power (50A). So you can see, there's not much left for anything else.
You will know once it's hooked up. If the lights dim with every bass note, then HO alternator will be required.
Orion's MBR 70 will help but just remember, when the car's on, alternator's the one supplying all the required power. Once that gets drained, the battery takes over. You can see the danger in that right?

Username: Lowdose

St. Louis, Mo

Post Number: 7
absolutly thx Isaac I will start calculating ASAP!

Bronze Member
Username: Sevin7

Post Number: 36
the cars componets really consume 50amps? i thought i could get by with an amp consuming 60amps on a 95amp alternator?

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 2541
The modern cars nowdays do have lot of electronics built in. You will find that on a 75A alternator, eating up more than 20A will start dimming lights. If you think about it, a car manufacturer will NEVER give you something for nothing. So if a car needs 50A-60A, most likely they will put in 75A alternator to be safe. If you want to test out the theory, pick any car and try it. So far that is what I'm finding.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us