Re sx + class AB amp = a very surprized fella....

Silver Member
Username: Southernrebel

Monroe, Louisiana USA

Post Number: 646
Well, my bp1200.1 amp is still in the shop for repairs so i havnt been able to use my RE SX for like a month...it was killing me. I bout a kicker IX402 2ch amp from a guy here in my dorm for $40 to run my component set on. This amp is rated at 120wrms @ 4ohm bridged at like 12.5V...but it really does bout 150wrms.

I went out to my truck to install it...and then it hit me. I COULD RUN MY SX15 ON THIS AMP!...at least just for a little while. So now i have my SX15 on this ~150wrms amp and it sounds amazingly good, the SQ amazed me. Its alot louder than you might think too. It really amazed me...and I liked that, hehehe.

Well...long story short, i am now bout 90% sure that i'm not gonna run a Class D amp on my SX anymore. Orion 275G4 here I come!

But I need to ask one thing about the 275g4, how much current will this amp draw? Also, what other class AB amps would yall recommend?

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 2455
Congradulations! Now you know the power of class AB.
The Orion 275G4 uses 180A fuses and is rated 1200w rms. You can tell by the fuse size, it'll put out a lot more than that.
The current draw will depend on your self control. If you can keep the volume down till you have HO alternator, then you'll be fine.
Here are some of the class AB amps you will surely love.
Orion 250G4, 275G4, XTR series, SX series, PPI PC/PCX series, Art series, Xtant, and of course the Zapcos.

Silver Member

Monroe, Louisiana USA

Post Number: 647
Yea Isaac,

Now i wish I would have bought that 275g4 that I saw a while back. :-(

I already have a 180A alt and a 2farad cap, so I'll prolly be ok for daily drivin...but i'm also looking at at least 1 yellow top just for competitions. I'm prolly gonna rewire my system w/ 1/0 ga. and use the cap as a distro-block to split to 2 4ga.

Oh, and about the 250g4...I know its rated @ 800wrms bridged to 1ohm, but what kinda power would I really be looking at w/ 14.4V input? I am tempted to just get the 250g4 and save a lil cash.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2464
If you're lucky, you might get close to 1100W rms at that voltage. James has been busy buying up good quality amps lately so good luck on 250G4!

Gold Member
Username: James1115

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 2458
I have always run class a/b on my mids and my subs and I love it. :-):-):-)

Gold Member

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 2459
it will give you right around 1000 watts on a good electrical system. I just bought one brand new with the manual for $300 and a very good condition used one for $275 shipped so you can find killer deals out there. Now I just have to wait till damn may 3rd to get it put in:-(, I did get my a/d/s components installed running off of my a600 and they sound fantastic:-)

Silver Member

Monroe, Louisiana USA

Post Number: 648
Well, I was doing 145dB+ w/ my bp1200.1...so I really dont wanna loose any SPL by going to 250g4. I was kinda guessing that the 275g4 would be just as loud, if not louder than the bp1200.1.

I really like the idea of doing 145+ in comps w/ really good SQ for daily driving. :-)

Rite now I have thinned out my choices for amps to either a 275g4, a 250g4, or a kx1200.1...in that order. I should have the cash to get one --or bid on ebay for one -- by next friday.

You guys know of any other place I should look other than ebay?

Silver Member

Monroe, Louisiana USA

Post Number: 649
James,

Quit buying up all the good amps and give me a chance at one. :-)

Gold Member

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 2461
hahaha hey man these amps arnt gonna be out there forever.:-( I would get the 250g4 it will outpower that JBL bp1200 watt for watt you will be very very surprised. you want to know another route you can go is the orion 2250sx which will do a very clean 1000 x1 @4ohms but its a little more $$$ either way the orion amps are very nice. Also those #'s are quite impressive it takes a whole lot of power and a good clean install to hit 145+ you should be happy with yourself:-)

Silver Member

Monroe, Louisiana USA

Post Number: 651
Yea...i have a 2250sx on my ebay watched list rite now. :-)

But I wouldnt be able to run a 2250sx in USACi 0-300w classes. :-( That is why I'm mainly looking at the g4's.

If a 275g4 pops up on ebay within bout the next 2 weeks, ITS MINE!!! :-) Otherwise, I'll prolly go for the 250g4.

Gold Member

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 2462
thats right I forgot that was your goal. Cool man I will keep my eyes out for one for ya also.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2470
I'm all done with G4 amps (5 is all I can handle). :-)

Silver Member
Username: Suleman36

Post Number: 823
Im selling a class AB amp if anyone is interested. Its a PPI PCX 2200 800watt rms amplifier. You can find it on ebay as its the only one youll find. Thanks

Silver Member

Monroe, Louisiana USA

Post Number: 652
Just wondering, but what exactly is the difference in the "R" and the "g4"?

Aren't the R's a lil older and they are pretty much the same amps w/ different heat-sinks...rite?

Gold Member

Post Number: 2473
G4 is the one with all the crossovers and enhancements. For example, the rca pass thru jacks are "buffered" in G4. What this means is that if you had 2 amps, you wouldn't lose any signal strength.
It can also operate as a "bandpass" mode, great for rear speaker setup.

Gold Member

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 2464
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=4950%26item%3D5768457346% 26%26 how about that for an amp huh Isaac:-)

Gold Member

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 2465
also the g4 is 1ohm mono stable and the "r" isnt.

Silver Member

Post Number: 826
Hey James did you hookup your g4 to the Avalanche 15 yet?

Gold Member

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 2467
no man may 3rd I cant wait the suspense is killing me. I am waiting on my new amp shroud to be built I just rewired my entire system with 0ga so all the wqiring is there to hook it up but I am gonna wait till my shroud is done and do it all the right way once. I cant wait though! I did get the new components installed and I went up to a 6.5 in the front and wow does it make a difference, I love the new A/D/S 346's they sound fantastic:-)

Silver Member

Post Number: 828
So what is your final system looking like..

Gold Member

Post Number: 2475
That is one wicked amp. Had I not bought 5 G4 amps, maybe I would bid on it.
I have 2 6.5" components in my front doors (one is mid bass, the other one is more of a mid range), 3 tweeters per door.
The sound is so clear, you can pick up any mistakes in the background music.
Did I tell you, I made custom enclosure for the midbass using 6" pvc pipe? It is super air tight. The bass response is unbelievable. Never heard a drum sound so real.

Silver Member

Post Number: 831
What state are you in isaac?

Gold Member

Post Number: 2476
I'm at the Eskimos/polar bear country called Canada! :-)

Silver Member

Post Number: 832
I have family in ontario, toronto area. If you were closer i whould pay you to hookup my system.

Silver Member

Monroe, Louisiana USA

Post Number: 653
Well Isaac,

If your REALLY want that PPI that James posted...why dont ya sell me one of those g4's. :-)

Gold Member

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 2469
I wouldnt answe that question Isaac lol! J/K My finished system is going to look like this

Alpine 9813
A/D/S 346 cs components
Avalanche 15 in 2.5 cu/ft sealed enclosure
Orion 250HCCA g4(sub amp)
Custom amp shroud only showing amps, NO wiring at all.

now is where it gets tricky, I have to make up my mind whether I want to run a low level A/D/S coax for rear fill and run my PPI pcx 480 to the mids and highs or run my PPI a600.2 to the A/D/S comp's and ditch out on the rear fill. I have a SUV so the rear fill is nice but the sound that comes out of the A?D?S's is so amazing and full that I really dont think I would need them. What do you guys think I should do? I need to make up my mind by may 3rd as to exactly how I want ot run this.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2477
MO, I do this as a hobby so I don't think I will charge any fees :-)
Marshall, the G4 amps are like my "family", can't sell them :-)

Silver Member

Post Number: 836
Sounds like a winner. Just stick with your front stage

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 7723
two RE triple X 12" + 2 2250SX = dreamy :D
particularly if ya have a third one for front stage ^_^

Gold Member

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 2470
show off! lol!

Silver Member

Post Number: 837
That is sweet. Let me know anytime you visit the Maryland/ DC area.

Gold Member

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 2471
hey Glass should I keep rear fill and run it off of the PPI 480 or only run my front components off of the a600 this is in a jeep cherokee.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2478
Glass don't you have that already?
James, I have rear fill in my car. If done right, it won't hurt the imaging at all while adding to sound quality.

Silver Member

Monroe, Louisiana USA

Post Number: 655
Darn you GlassWolf :-)
I bet those x.x.x.'s in AP enclosures sound insanly good.

Well Glass,
You wouldnt happen to know where i could find a 250 or a 275g2, would ya?

Silver Member

Post Number: 839
ebay if your lucky and www.cardomain.com is probably your best bet. They are an authorized dealer so you get the warranty

Gold Member

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 2473
yeah but they dont make those amps anymore Mo so the only way you would be able to get them from an authorized dealer is to buy refurbished. I know Isaac I have time correction on my deck so I could make it sound nice but that sucks when I have other people in the car with me cause it sounds like cr!p like it is all coming from the right rear.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us