Filling port in box

Silver Member
Username: Dpaw20

FL USA

Post Number: 144
I got a prefab Obcon 1.56ft^3 per chamber box and I think It sounded better when I filled the port tight with towels. It sounded a bit faster and less "all over the place". It didn't loose much sound, and for how loud I listen to it, it wouldnt make I difference I dont think.

Question 1: My recomendedations for sub enclosure volume are Sealed: .75-1.25 and Ported: 1.25-1.75. If my box is 1.56ft^3, and I sealed it, would that be very bad? Would it hurt my sub/amp?

Question 2: Will my subs be getting more power or less or no affect? Is there anything I should know after converting? Does anyone think I shouldnt do this? I just want to make sure Im making the right decision.

P.S. The subs are 2 12" Alpine Type-R's.

Silver Member

FL USA

Post Number: 146
Also, since my box plays the lowest frequencies a lot less loud than middle ranged lows, would sealing the box give me a flatter responose or better low frequency response?

Gold Member
Username: Subfanatic

Walton, Ky

Post Number: 2708
the subs displacement will take the box down a littele which will setlle out that rouch patch in the box sealed for question 1

there will be no effect in power, just in performance, better sq

Silver Member

FL USA

Post Number: 147
So would your recomend just sealing it since its a prefab that is tuned too high?

Gold Member

Walton, Ky

Post Number: 2710
most prefabs are boxes that are tuned for spl so that in teh stores they get LOUD, and they do that, lol thats why i go to best buy and circuit city switch wires around and try to blow everything they have for some laughs lol, and i love to out talk anyone there lol, BUT besides that, i would reccomend building a new box, cause that isnt going to totally seal it, or take apart the board the port is on and rebuild that board redo it and put the vinyl over it as if there never was a port

Silver Member

FL USA

Post Number: 148
that sounds like a lot of work because I'd probably get a new box in the seminear future. Would puting a peice of wood in the port and gluing it do the trick for a while at least?

Gold Member

Walton, Ky

Post Number: 2719
lol i suppose to, wouldnt reccomend it, but whatever floats your boat lol

Bronze Member
Username: Msully701

Stratford, Connecticut US

Post Number: 62
I have my kicker 12" L7's in a subzone box tuned to 37 hz, should I fill it with insulation or something or just leave it empty?

Silver Member

FL USA

Post Number: 149
lol, im just trying to get my first system perfect. Im a perfectionist about things like that, but I usually just like to hear what I want to hear, especially when it requires less work, lol.

I dont know, I dont got a job right now and getting another box would be a hassle so Im just trying to make the best of what I got.

Silver Member

FL USA

Post Number: 150
Fill the port with towels tightly packed and see if it sounds better. 37hz is kinda high, but dont L7's recomend ported boxes? In my experience, if the box is going to be prebabricated, go sealed because ported enclosures have to many variables invloved for it to sound good with different subs.

Gold Member

Walton, Ky

Post Number: 2721
yea, never buy a ported box, build your own or have someone like me built it lol

Bronze Member
Username: Sevin7

Post Number: 20
im going to build my own for 2 of these:
http://www.rockfordfosgate.com/ez2/ModelInfo/ModelInfo.asp?ItemKey=10063579
Should i use 2 circle ports and pvc pipe, or 2 slot ports, it will be one box, but 2 chambers. also how big should i make the ports?

Gold Member

Walton, Ky

Post Number: 2723
i just sold 2 12 inch p3's they are nice, but, for you, do 2 pvc pipes, im assuming this will be your first time, but for this, take seans advice over mine, but i can try, and put 2 circle ports in EACH chamber to reduce port noise, but what is your box going to be?

Bronze Member
Username: Sevin7

Post Number: 22
im going to make my own box, rockfordfosgate's site says use 1 cubic foot for a ported box, right now i have one of these subs, and its in a 1.83cubic foot box w/ a large slot for a port, and it sounds great. Would it sound better in a 1 cubic foot box, or should i make them bigger? My second sub is comin this week w/ a new amp to power both :-)
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us