How do i find my alternators output?

Bronze Member
Username: Sevin7

Post Number: 15
i checked my owners manual, and didnt find anything, and ive searched for it on google and cant find anything. I have a 2000 ranger , any idea on how much the stock alternator puts out?

Silver Member
Username: Theelfkeeper

Stockbridge, GA USA

Post Number: 355
it should be written on the alternator somewhere, the manual usually wont' say or they will give a list since most car companies use the same manuals for several modela

Silver Member
Username: Theelfkeeper

Stockbridge, GA USA

Post Number: 356
models, not modela. damn i can't type today

Bronze Member

Post Number: 17
the only thing i could find on my alternator was a model # . F37A-10039-EA, thats the only writing on it, and i cant find anything on google with that model #. Any other ideas?

Bronze Member
Username: Erushnak

Post Number: 22
Ask a mechanic?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 23
i dont know any mechanics... lol, how does everyone on this forum know the output of their alternator? where do you guys find this information?!?!

Bronze Member
Username: Dkchillin

Vermont

Post Number: 19
I'm so bored I went on Ask.com and looked around a bit, looks like the 2000 ranger came stock with a 95 amp alt. You just gotta look. Here's the site I actually found it on:
https://www.rockauto.com/dbphp/mak,FORD

Bronze Member

Post Number: 26
sweet, thanks 4 the help. im gonna run a 800rms amp, hope it works of the 95amp alt... it will be close

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 7689
go pick up a phone
call any auto parts store like NAPA, Advance, or AutoZone.
ask the person on the hone.
he'll look it up for you.

an 800 watt class D amp draws 80A of current.
that leaves 15A for your car to run.
not nearly enough alternator for that amp.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 27
so what happens if its not enough power? my subs just wont get quite as much power, or will it mess up stuff...?

Gold Member
Username: James1115

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 2526
it will mess stuff up, you can fry your cars cpu,cook your electrical system, start a fire, or all of the above.

Bronze Member
Username: Dkchillin

Vermont

Post Number: 20
at the very least you'll burn out your battery and alt real quick, you have to think that your electrical system was built to run the vehicle with a little room for extreme situations, it's not designed to supply continuous power to other equipment with that kind of draw. You'll prolly want to look into a HO alt.

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 7731
lights will dim, ignition will misfire, car can stall out, alternator and battery will fail.. stuff like that.

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 7732
and of course, the amplifier will clip and your speakers will get damaged and need to be replaced.
the voice coils will melt from the DC voltage caused by the clipping which can cause a dead short across the coils. this in turn will fry your amplifier(s) as well.

Silver Member
Username: Joe_c

Oakwood, Ga

Post Number: 139
and you whole life will come crashing down all because of one little alternator

Bronze Member

Post Number: 30
ok this sucks... lol, im gettin a ho alt then, my only issue is i dont wanna have to pay someone alot of $ to install it, becuase im far from a mechanic, i can build computers, and installing sound systems is easy.. but my alternator is under a lot of stuff in my engine and i dont wanna mess w/ it. Any1 know how much a shop would charge to install? Also do local stores sell ho alts, beucase im sure if i bought it online i'd pay a ton for shipping becuase the thing is big and heavy.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 34
if i ran a class d amp @ 600rms, it should be fine right? that would leave 35amps for the rest of the car.

Anonymous

Its gonna be a couple hundred bucks more then likely.

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 2570
Morgan if you can install a computer/sound systems, then you can install an alternator. It's matter of having time and following instructions. Very easy. If you want it even easier, send the HO alternator manfacturer your stock alternator and they will rewind it to whatever current size you desire. Then when you get it back, it's just a straight replacement. So simple, even a moronic mechanic shouldn't give you any lip service to install. Lot of them are afraid of HO alternators.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us