Sub positioning

macmillian
Unregistered guest
Will putting subs in different positions affect overall SQ?
For a single 12" will it matter? i was thinking of putting it on the left side of the trunk facing to the right or on the corner facing diagonally out.

Silver Member
Username: Theelfkeeper

Stockbridge, GA USA

Post Number: 330
the only thing changing how the sub faces is reflex. can't remember the site but someone did some tests with sub facing and found that having the sub face away from you and just a couple inches from the back of the car was the best set up due to bass reflex and phase. don't know if any of thats true or not though.
but typically from what i've seen, for SQ set ups the sub is facing the listener. faceing it away will make it a lil louder. just play with it, see what you think. it prob depends a lot on the car too.

Gold Member
Username: Subfanatic

Walton, Ky

Post Number: 2403
thats basically not true, every car with every box with every sub require a new setup, its all trial and error, for example, my setup is the ebst facing backwards, my friends w7 is best facing left, my friends sony's facing up, my friends x.x.x facing right, everything is different in every car, but faing towards you is usually not it

Silver Member
Username: Theelfkeeper

Stockbridge, GA USA

Post Number: 333
lol, idk if that was right, just thought it was interesting and kinda made since, but i agree its got more to do with the car then anything.
if i could find the site again i'd give you the link

macmillian
Unregistered guest
Thanks guys. The car's a 92 civic sedan, thinkin of putting a 12" type-r. Its a daily driver and i'd like to have as much useable space in the trunk as possible.
Ideally, putting it on the sides would save space. But, i was concerned it would majorly affect the bass. If all that does is affect db gain and not sq then i would go for the sides!

Bronze Member
Username: Birdman420

Post Number: 23
I have an 03 impala w/ a pretty good size trunk, would putting the subs in the corners facing diagonally towards the driver sound okay, or off, pluss, can you make boxes, or do the have to be pre-fabricated, I'm new to all of this.

Gold Member
Username: Fishy

Tamarac Ft.Laud, FL USA

Post Number: 1009
http://www.teamrocs.com/technical/pages/aiming.htm

Gold Member

Walton, Ky

Post Number: 2479
paul, you could do somen similar to that but you could just put them where you are planning on putting them and face them towards the rear, usually facing them towards the frnot of the car is not a good idea, and you can buy prefabbed boxes, but you could also make your own, i make alot lof my own and laot of firends boxes

macmillian
Unregistered guest
Thanks for the link Fishy, so the best position for me would be at the front of the trunk facing backwards then.. so does that mean i should rule out positioning a sub on the side of the trunk?
The article doesnt mention anything bout it..what do u guys think?

Gold Member
Username: James1115

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 2420
facing a box forward is a fine thing, the main reason why people face them toward the rear is to hide the distortion of a cr@ppy sub, and gain more SPL. Distortion fades the more things the bass bounces off of before it hits your ear. I have run my avalanche toward the rear in my Jeep Cherokee and forward and facing the roof and I like it facing up the best but if that speaker were to distort the sl;ightest bit you will notice it. Of coarse that doesnt happen cause AVALANCHE RULE!!!!!!!!! lolol!

Gold Member
Username: Invain

Michigan United States

Post Number: 2082
Sound waves need to travel a certain distance before you can hear the full potential volume. The more surfaces a sound wave bounces off of, the further the wave travels, and will sound louder when it finally reaches your ear.

macmillian
Unregistered guest
Joe, so placing them at the side would bounce the soundwaves off alot more right? But wouldnt this create problems with phase between the back and front waves of the sub?

Username: Lancew

Post Number: 1
I am wondering where i can find a box or plans for 3 8" subs under the back seat of my dodge x-cab. i have orion xtr 8's any help would be great.

Gold Member
Username: Fishy

Tamarac Ft.Laud, FL USA

Post Number: 1021
Sound waves need to travel a certain distance before you can hear the full potential volume.

Umm... put on a set of headphones or stick your head right next to a sub while its playing.

Personally I like corner loading the best for just one sub. You may get more constructive interference firing the box backwards with SOME frequencies, but if your only using one sub, corner loading is the safest.

I've got a stealth box in the right rear quarterpanel of my Explorer. It ain't as loud, but sounds better at moderate levels than my rear-firing H.O. box.

-Fishy

Gold Member

Walton, Ky

Post Number: 2716
most comonly i think we have decided its best to face them towards the rear or sides
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us