Choosing amps

Username: Sonic_trip

Dublin

Post Number: 1
Hi everyone,great site very helpful,but I need a little help please??

I am getting a new system in my new golf IV,I have the speakers and subs picketd out,pioneer ts-6996 320watt (6x9's) in the back and a pioneer 1000-1500 spl sub that im putting on the back shelf and some new speakers up front in the doors. prolly the ts pioneer range......

Anyways....the part im stuck on choosing is the amp,I thought to get great sound quality all the speakers had to be put through the amp,and so was looking at a 5channel pioneer gmd515 only problem is it is going to set me back the best part of 600$+ but there are some 2/3/4 and 5 channel amps on ebay for quite reasonable prices could anyone name some good models and makes please??? the names that are common are pyle,pyramid,X-treme audio,hifonics etc.....

Next ive read alot of threads to get info and just hear people talking about subs and amps,does amping the subs just take alot of the strain/bass off the speakers and there is no need for putting the speakers through the amp thats why 2/3/4 channel amps are common??

As i never hear anyone talking about 5channel amps,would this be uncommon in choosing this type of amp,as there is not that many on ebay??i have around 300/400$spend or would i be better going for the pioneer gmd515 1000watt amp?

or what are my options if i choose a 2/3/4 channel amp amp 2 of the peakers at the back and bridge 2 channels for the sub and then have the speakers up the front just through the stereo...

please,please,please help

thanks in advance

Mark

Dublin

Post Number: 2
also if i bought from ebay an amp from the US,as I live in irelad would there be any trouble using it in my car over here??

thanks everyone

Dublin

Post Number: 3
also if i bought from ebay an amp from the US,as I live in ireland would there be any trouble using it in my car over here??

or should i buy from europe/uk?

thanks everyone

Silver Member
Username: Bnd_rulez

Phoenix, AZ USA

Post Number: 402
Okay, if you're getting regular coaxials speakers, and not components, then you really don't need to amp them as they will be overpowered. The reason you need to amplify a sub is so it will be louder, thats the reason you amplify any speaker. If I were you, stick to your front door speakers, and a sub. Don't worry about rear speakers. A cheap set up would be like nice set of components from Infinity, or CDT, and a 10" sub, all powered by a 4 channel amp. Run the front 2 comps on channel 1 and 2, and bridge 3 and 4 to the sub.

Dublin

Post Number: 4
hi david,yes ive read alot of posts,and alot were saying to not bother with speakers in the back,in saying that i think I would prefer to have some sound coming from the back...2-6x9's at the back and sub in the middle

the 6x9's are 3way co-ax speakers and front speakers are 2way co-ax....

so what type of amp do you reckon i should go for if im putting speakers in the back?could you reccommend a good make i would get on ebay for 300$?

Do you reckon if i was getting a 4 channel amp,to amp the front or back speakers and what size should i be looking at a 1000watt amp or higher,bare in mind i listen to alot of dance music?and am looking for a great sound with alot of power....

thanks for your help

Mark

Dublin

Post Number: 5
could anyone shed any light on this.....please?

thanks

Bronze Member
Username: 1stimer

Post Number: 15
Well I am new to this, and still researching my system, but most people that want some sound in the rear dont want it to overpower the front sound. They might just run some rears for "fill" and would then probably just run them off the power from the head unit. If you are talking about amping the rear speakers and not the fronts, I think most would tell you it isn't going to sound that great, but if thats what you are set on doing, then do it. If you are buying a 4 channel amp, people will probably tell you to power the fronts and the sub with it, and run the rears off of the head unit. Most would probably say that your money could be better spent on some less powerful rear speakers. MTX seems to be preety well respected for affordable amps. You can run as much power to the speakers as they can handle. good luck....keep researching
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us