I know this is getting old...but so many amps!

Bronze Member
Username: Goon

Post Number: 94
Ok, I'm sure people are getting tired of me asking about amps...but i have another question. everytime i decide on an amp, someone tells me somethng about anothe brand. this time it's phoenix gold.... i was todl they make excellent amps. so now im deciding between a ppi pcx series(or art if i can find one for my price) or an octane by phoenix gold. the amp will be pushing 2 kappa perfects 350rms. i was looking at the octane 800w amp. what brand do you think i should go with? any input is appreciated.

thanks again guys.
goon

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 2309
You should stick to PPI PC/PCX or Art series amp. Forget Phoenix Gold. It doesn't compare to PPI's performance and price.
Don't forget about Orion HCCA 250G4 amp.

Bronze Member
Username: Mixneffect

Orangevale, Ca. USA

Post Number: 28
When selecting audio equipment there are a few things to look for.

Durability.
Is this product made of durable materials? Does it look like it will handle the load you plan on using it for? Don't get fooled by buying stuff that is cheaply made but has an outrageous advertisement such as 1000 watts RMS, when it really is 200 watts continuous. Max power/music power is the maximum power the particular product will generate or handle for approximately 1/1000 of a second. Yes one/one-thousandth of a second. Not for long huh? RMS stands for root mean square, which is usually calculated at about 70% of max power. This rating is still not true. Continuous power is the averaged power a product will generate or handle being operated at full blast for 600 hours on a bench test.

Convenience.
Will this product fit your goal? In other words don't buy a stereo 4 channel amp that has 400 watts of output and decide to use it bridged down to 2 ohms in mono. Just buy a 400-1000 watt mono amp that can handle a load down to 1 ohm instead.

Output.
Remember this; Loudness is measured in decibels. Every 3 decibels higher is twice the output. Wattage power handling is logarithmic. This means 1000 watts is only twice the power of 100 watts. Don't get overlook these two specifications.

T.H.D.
T.H.D. stands for total harmonic distortion. This distortion is the amount of extra noise added by your amp/head unit/ or whatever, to the original signal. In other words the electronic circuitry will change the sound because it goes through the circuit.
Note; you know that sound that you hear coming from electrical power lines on the street? It is a buzzing sound. That is a sound generated by the magnetic field and current working. The same goes with your amplifier. It also has magnetic fields and current, but on a much smaller scale.
THD is acceptable when it is less than .5%.

Circuitry.
Circuitry is very important. The type of methods used and quality of parts will make or break the product. Generally, I prefer Class A circuitry for my quality projects. I am willing to accept Class B for middle of the road projects.
A quality circuitry is the Mosfet power. This circuitry has quality durable parts (diodes, capacitors, resistors, inductors, power supply, etc) inside.

Take this information and put it to the test. Go out and compare some products. Be sure you get all the specifications from all the products you want to compare. Then listen and see the difference.

For instance Alpine amplifiers usually put out up to 400 watts at about 96 dB. PPI, Orion, and some others will put out up to 1000 watts at 100+ dB. This is what makes these amplifiers louder than Alpine. Decibels, not wattage.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 95
hey thanks isaac and mixneffect...i appreciate the help. i will take those things into consideration!

goon

Silver Member
Username: Fishy

Tamarac Ft.Laud, FL USA

Post Number: 909
Man, there's so many thing I want to say about that last post I don't know where to start and I guess I won't even bother.

We can give you advice on a product's build quality and performance as to specs and we can also give you OUR opinions on sound quality, but if you really want to know how something sounds you need to get out an listen it for yourself.

In this age of cheap internet sales that "overpriced" dealer still has its uses.

-Fishy

[note] The decibel, as in the measurement of an amplifiers's "gain", is not a very helpful unit in judging an amplifier's output capabilities without including the load being driven. Power supply limitaions play a very important role as well. On the other hand 1000 watts is 10 TIMES the amount of power as 100 watts no matter how you slice it and shouldn't be confused with the 6-10 dB increase in output(4-10 times the power) required for something to "sound" twice as loud.

http://www.kodachrome.org/salt/sunderst.htm

https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/products/articles/109459.html

Gold Member

Post Number: 2321
Fishy, you got here too late... :-)

Username: J_dog

Post Number: 4
Does n e one have n e suggestions on what kind of amp i should get for 2 12" rockford fosgate hx2 1000watts each dual voice coil

Silver Member

Tamarac Ft.Laud, FL USA

Post Number: 910
Yeah, I'm a slow poster, but I like to back up my statements with a couple links. That way I make sure I'm talking out my @$$.

:-)

-Fishy

Silver Member

Tamarac Ft.Laud, FL USA

Post Number: 911
[edit]lol, ooops. Should be "I'm not talking out my @$$."

Musta been a Freudian slip.

:P

-Fishy

Gold Member

Post Number: 2322
Whoa, for a sec there, I thought you picked up a new talent!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 96
I was told the new orion's weren't as god as the old, or at least some of them. what do you all think of the xtr series? i'm finding some for a good price.

goon

Silver Member
Username: Bnd_rulez

Phoenix, AZ USA

Post Number: 301
Rule of thumb, you get what you pay for. I would go with the PPI Art PC/PCX stuff, excellent for the price, plus the art series stuff looks so retro.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2326
Howie, Orion Xtr series are good amps as well. If you can get a good deal, then try one. Even their new series aren't that bad, unlike PPI.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 97
david retro is good thing...i listen to a lot of 80s....and so does my girlfriend. the only problem i have with the art series is that she called them, "cute". but oh well. isaac once again you have you have helped greatly, as everyone has. it's appreciated.

thanks
goon

Username: Mcazayoux

New roads, La United states

Post Number: 9
does anyone know a good amp to run 2 12"L7s

Bronze Member
Username: Mixneffect

Orangevale, Ca. USA

Post Number: 29
Fishy,
Thanks for the expert advice. I also believe in backing up an idea with facts. I can appreciate true formulas. I also found a website that has physics formulas. I believe if people would just take some time to figure out what science is trying to tell us, we would actually get better results. Not to compete with you, but I would also like to recomend a website as well.

If anyone would like to do their own research, this link is worth its weight in gold and then some.

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/forces/isq.html
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us