Wiring problems - need help!!

Username: Jerry4886

Post Number: 1
I just bought a system which includes:
-Alpine CDA-9827 Head Unit
-2005 Nitro BMW-3669 6x9 800 WATT (pair) 4 way Speakers
-2005 Nitro BMW-3346 4x6 500 WATT (pair) 2 way speakers
-2 Audiobahn AW1251T 12" Subs (400 rms)
-Nitro BMW-486 2000 Watt Amplifier (2channel Bridgeable)
300w x 2 rms @ 2ohms
200w x 2 rms @ 4ohms
600w x 1 rms @ 4ohms

With all of that said, Can anyone tell me how I should wire this up? I've already installed the speakers and there are a lot better than stock but could be louder. I can leave the amp to power the subs alone (as I orginally planned) but I want the speakers to be louder. I've already spent enough money for my budget and don't want to buy another amp for the speakers. How can I wire this for the speakers and the subs or just the subs?

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 2308
Did you purchase BMW audio parts? They do not specialize in car audio. How much did you spend on the speakers and the amp?
4x6 isn't a good speaker at all. Not worth your money. You would've been better off upgrading it to 5 1/4" or 6.5" components.
Without a separate amp for your Nitro BMW speakers, that's about all you'll get from Alpine HU.
Is your "2000w" amp class D or AB?
Somehow the power numbers you listed doesn't sound like rms. I haven't seen 4x6 speakers that were anywhere close to 500w.
When you say "wire this up", do you mean installing the amp and the subs?

Post Number: 2
well first of all i got the speakers for about $90 for both the 4x6's (500W max pair - 250W max per speaker) and 6x9's (800W max per pair) - I'm not sure about the rms power. The MSRP for both pairs is about $231. I went for the 4x6 because that was the stock size in my car.
As for everything else...I bought the 2 AW1251T subs + 2000w amp + a bandpass box for $340. The amp's MSRP is $380. I am not sure about the class.
When it comes to the head unit, there are 3 4-volt preamp outputs. So how should I set this up? I'm guessing from the previous post there is no way to amp both the subs and the speakers with this amp? If that's the case, should i just power the two subs each on 1 channel; and either ignore powering the speakers, or consider buying another amp(which i didn't really want to do)?

Gold Member

Post Number: 2319
YOu might want to find out if the amp is class AB. Then you will be able to use it as tri-mode. That is power 2 speakers plus the sub. It will require capacitors and a coil for the sub.
Since it's a 2 channel amp, it's most likely class AB. Almost all class D amps are mono.
Look at the rca plugs on the HU. I'm guessing one of them is for the sub. Use that one.
On your 4x6 speaker, I'd be surprised if the rms power is more than 40w. They shouldn't even make them for cars.

Post Number: 3
This amp is class AB. So can i power my 2 subs and maybe 2 rear speakers with that? what's this using the sub rca plug for the 4x6???

Gold Member

Post Number: 2333
You should be able to power the subs as well as your rears with 1 class AB amp. However, you will need to purchase capacitor and a coil for the sub.
Read the above post carefully, I didn't say you can use the sub rca for 4x6.
Be sure to observe the amp's minimum ohm requirement.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us