Eclipse vs alpine

Bronze Member
Username: W00b

Post Number: 43
which do you think is better, and why?

Bronze Member
Username: W00b

Post Number: 45
i know you guys have opinions here, come on =)

Bronze Member
Username: Illuminator

Post Number: 73
Hard to say, really...but ultimately,I like Alpine better. I like their features(although Eclipse's new lineup is very competitive now feature-wise i.e. mp3 mosfet amp etc.), and Alpine is generally easier to find so I can get them for better prices and repaired easier. It's really just a matter of preference.

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 3664
Unless you're talking Alpine F#1 Status, I'd rather have Eclipse overall, in every area.

Silver Member
Username: Suleman36

Post Number: 608
Eclipse is overall better pound for pound. You can more options with eclipse and a higher quality sound at higher volumes in most of the upper HU's they make such as eclipse cd5444 and cd8454 and even the new 2005 models offer satillite just like alpine and even a gps system. You get higher preout Voltage with each eclipse compared to majority alpine decks. Eclipse offers way more tuning options then the alpine decks.

Silver Member
Username: Fishy

Tamarac Ft.Laud, FL USA

Post Number: 938
Yeah I'd say Eclipse as well(24 bit DAC on high end stuff, etc) but I don't like the way they look.

http://slickssite.com/9255/9255front.jpg

http://slickssite.com/9255/9255atnight.jpg

Now thats my idea of a good looking deck. In fact I just ordered one.

:-)

-Fishy

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 3685
This is my idea of a good looking deck:
Upload
See that knob on the left? That's the volume, and just the volume, and it uses ANALOG pots :-). Good stuff. Those knobs on the right? They perform as balance, fader, and tone controls. That unit just has an elegant simplicity to it.

Gold Member
Username: James1115

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 2351
I am a big fan of that deck also jon:-)

Silver Member

Tamarac Ft.Laud, FL USA

Post Number: 943
That Nak does look good(except maybe for the orange/amber display). The bad thing about pots tho is, unless its a really good one, eventually the wiper gets dirty and you start getting crackling noises when you adjust volume. I had an old Alpine cassette tuner that I loved. It had soft touch controls with a motorized transport, dolby B + C, etc. which after a few years started doing that. No big deal really especialy since the "digital" control on my CDE-7831 is completely possessed. I can deal with some distracting "noise" while adjusting volume, but having the volume go up when you turn it down and visa versa is a very large PITA.

I guess that Clarion has .5 dB step Burr-Brown volume control(if that means anything) like is used on some of the higher end home stuff so maybe it will stay demon free for a bit longer than my Alpine.

IMO its got that same basic "industrial" design as that Nak which looks so good, yet might dissuade your typical uniformed thief.

-Fishy

Silver Member
Username: Erik123456

Arlington, Tx

Post Number: 502
to bad that cd player is like 1500 bucks lol

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 7616
either one would be a good choice of head units.
personally I'm using an alpine CDA-7990

Silver Member

Tamarac Ft.Laud, FL USA

Post Number: 947
to bad that cd player is like 1500 bucks lol

http://www.etronics.com/product.asp?icatid=317&stk_code=cladrz9255&svbname=425

I don't know what those Nakamichi's go for however.

-Fishy

Silver Member

Arlington, Tx

Post Number: 503
the nak is around there i believe, thats what i was referring to

Silver Member

Tamarac Ft.Laud, FL USA

Post Number: 966
Ahhhh... I think I recall Jonathan mentioning that the recent Naks have reliability problems.

Hehe, I thought I might be getting one helluva a deal on that Clarion/McIntosh. It should be here some time tomorrow. I can't wait to see if I can tell the difference between 24 bit Burr-Brown and 1 bit regulated DAC's. At that price I'm sure I'll be telling everyone it spanks my old Alpine regardless of the truth.

-Fishy

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 3693
I think the main problem the Naks had was CD skipping, but they fixed that after the first run of those units. Otherwise, though, it's a good deck. I mainly like the looks, I wish it would start a trend :-).

Silver Member

Tamarac Ft.Laud, FL USA

Post Number: 983
All I can say is DHL suxxorz.

Delivery Attempted.
Will attempt again next business day.

Called em 3 times asking where the thing was. At 5pm they said to wait til 6. At 6 they said to wait til 8. At 8 they said the guy left a lil yelow note as no one was home. Complete BS. I waited all day(it needs a signature) and of course by 8 it was too late to pick the thing up. The lady wouldn't give an address anyways.

I guess I'll have to waste another day waiting and hoping they can find my freaking house!

I guess I should learn patience, but they were supposed to give a call to notify delivery and later after I complained, call back if it wasn't going to be delivered, neither of which happened.

:-(

-Fishy

Silver Member

Arlington, Tx

Post Number: 512
i had same deal w ups its like 10 x faster if you just go pick it up

Silver Member

Tamarac Ft.Laud, FL USA

Post Number: 986
Lol..... usually.

Got a call to pick the thing up this morning. After gettin lost in Miami for about an extra 40 miles I finally managed to find the place. Of course when I got there the package had already gone out despite what the detailed note in the computer regarding that morning's phone conversation described. I was too tired and too amused at the irony of it all to get ticked so I went home and got the package about an hour later.

Sure is a purty lil thing. Hope its gonna sound as good as it looks.

-Fishy

Username: Kd7nfr

Montpelier, ID United States

Post Number: 2
Honestly, I'd go with Alpine. Eclipse is more expensive, but they havn't been in the game as long as Alpine. They DO have more adjustments, but they're pretty much useless unless you're a freak of nature audiophile, or you're into competition. My Alpine CDA-9833 has more than enough for me.

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 7767
Eclipse has been making high end car audio for over fifteen years. Alpine has been at it longer, yes, but 15 years is a hell of a good longevity in this market.

If you have the money, go Alpine F#1status. Otherwise, I'd take Eclipse.

Bronze Member
Username: Bananakrill

Benicia, California

Post Number: 51
The more stuff you add to a deck, the more that can go wrong with it. I had an older Eclipse 8051. Best deck I've ever had. I upgraded to the 8454, and wish I hadn't. I seldom, if ever, use the memory stick. And now it won't even play CDs. It says "info3" and spits out the CD every time. Info3 means the cd is dirty or scratched but it does it for EVERY cd, even brand new ones. Also, the remote is useless as a volume control. It changes the volume so slow it's not worth using. I'm so mad. The thing is only 1 year old. I've had nothing but problems with Eclipse. I wish I went Alpine. That's my next venture.

Gold Member

Tamarac Ft.Laud, FL USA

Post Number: 1030
You try a laser disc cleaner?

I had an old Alpine that started having problems playing CD's. I guess it had a dirty lense, because the laser cleaner helped for a while.

-Fishy

Bronze Member
Username: Bananakrill

Benicia, California

Post Number: 52
No. I'm going to try to return it. See what the dealer does. If not I'll try a laser cleaner thing. I'm very unhappy though. Maybe I'll vacuum it out too.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us