Question isaac??

Silver Member
Username: Suleman36

Post Number: 580
Ok question? should i run my jl 500/1 or my zapco referance 500m class a/b mono amp??? the zapco does 500rms at 4ohms and is underated and can do 538rms and at 2 ohms it can do 700rms. The fuse rating is 40A for the zapco though. Which one of these amps whould be more efficiant if i run it to a avalanche 15 800 watt subwoofer.????? my stock alternator is 80 amps and im also running my ppia300.2 for componants.. and i will use my batcap 800 stereo battery in the back..thanks

Gold Member
Username: James1115

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 2277
MO run your PPI pcx amp at 800 watts to the Avalanche!

Silver Member

Post Number: 582
James the problem is my electrical system man. remember... I only have a 80amp stock alternator. I whould use my ppi amp if i had the HO alternator whouldnt you agree? Between the 500/1 and the zapco 500m which one whould be more efficiant. The 500/1 is 50A fuse and the Zapco is 40A fuse..i think thats the dilemma

Gold Member
Username: James1115

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 2280
dude like I said last night, dont worry about your electrical system unless you put it in then have severe light dimming and RPM droppage. I have heard of people running 800 watt amps off of 50amp alt's I dont know how but some cars if wired up correctly can take the load and show no signs of struggle. If you notice it isnt to your liking and your lights are dimming then go to the JL 500/1 or the zapco but the PPI will run that sub very very well so I would start there.

Silver Member

Post Number: 583
James i have run my ppi pcx in this car before and with only the ppi pcx 800 watt amp it drives way to much current and the car begins to idle drop at red lights and the lights dim somewhat for a half a sec on each big bass note.

Silver Member

Post Number: 587
James or isaac for the ppi art 300.2 amp. Will it be ok since my Eclipse cd8454 HU has 8volt preouts?

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 2303
If you set the amp's level/gain to minimum, then you should be okay.
If your lights dim, then go with JL 500/1 cause it'll use less current at normal volume level than class AB.
I've tested it numerous times.

Silver Member

Post Number: 592
isaac whats minimum??? for the ppi art300.2 ??
So the 500/1 will be more efficiant then the zapco even though the zapco is a 40A fuse and the JL is 50A because its a class D as opposed to clas AB right. I have both and just wanna use whichever takes less draw on the electrical system and how much of a differance will i notice from the 500/1 to the zapco 500m referance that puts out 700rms?? As you know im running the Avalanche 15 and they recommend 500-750 rms.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2304
Minimum as in turn the knob to the left position. It should be able to handle your HU without distorting.
You will notice some savings on current demand with class D, but don't expect a miracle. At high volume, even class D will eat up lot of power. Remember, with electronics, there is no forgiving. Unlike human body that gets stronger when pushed to the limit, they just break down.
If you plan on maxing out the amp, I'd go with Zapco's 40A, but if at "normal" listening levels, class D is easier on your power system.

Silver Member

Post Number: 593
So with the ppi a300.2 i should keep the gain all the way down?? I use to have a alpine deck and for me normal listening level was around 18-20 volume depending on the music.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2305
Yes, if your HU is really 8v. What is your max volume setting?
Mine goes up to 50, and my normal listening level is 20 - 36. Around 45, it starts to distort.

Silver Member

Post Number: 594
I havent even installed my eclipse cd8454 yet. This whould be my first eclipse. Just wanted to know how i whould tune that ppi a300.2 cause i have 3 8V outputs and i will probably run the zapco along with it for my sub. Never had a zapco before either nor do i know how to tune it.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us