No sound!!!

Username: Pbpube

Post Number: 1
hey yall i got one of those best buy deals, that "dual" brand. idk model number, but it was like 130 bux and it has audio inputs (essential for my project hehe). well i soldered the wiring stuff together and tested it out, and the unit gets power but no sound comes out at all. not for cd, not for radio, and i assume not for auxiliary. was it a bad idea to solder? this is my first head unit swap, so help me out please! thanks

Post Number: 2
i got a 96 z28 camaro if it helps at all

Bronze Member
Username: Illuminator

Post Number: 58
You soldered the wiring harness from your car to the wiring harness from the head unit?

If you didn't, exactly what did you solder?

JKW
Unregistered guest
Sounds like you blew up the output ic in your deck. Check your speakers for a short to ground.

JKW

Post Number: 4
jexxen, i soldered the wiring harness adapter (the part that the stock part connects to... with the loose wires on the end) and the one that with the HU together. JKW, could you explain that to me? lol. im a first timer, so im not sure what the output ic is. i made sure all the wires around the harnesses werent touching (which they werent) and today i even re-did all the connections to make sure i put all the wires to the right places. also, the stock antenna plug doesnt seem to fit into the new HU's connection. can i fix that with some sort of adapter? im bout to give up on this and friggin take it to best buy and let them screw around with it, cus its startin to piss me off. thanks

Bronze Member
Username: Illuminator

Post Number: 63
Hmm, you might want to cut the wires you have soldered and get some butt-end connectors and crimp the wires together instead. The connectors look like this:
Upload

Possibly some wires already touched and caused something to short out...

As far as the antenna goes, what kind of car are you putting the unit in?

JKW
Unregistered guest
The output ic is the internal amplifier in the deck. Unfortunately if you did blow it up, the average output ic can range from $50- $100 plus install labour. As far as the antenna goes, there are antenna adapters available depending on the year, make and model of your vehicle.

JKW

Silver Member
Username: Ps1k0

Post Number: 201
dosen't that car have one of those "premium" systems in it?
you may have to check to make sure you have the remote wire hooked up to turn on the amp hidden in the car.

to check and see if you did kill the radio, get an old speaker and try connecting it directly to the deck to see if it is putting out sound.

Post Number: 5
hey guys. i checked to make sure that the speakers still work by hooking up the stock HU up again... and the speakers still work. im beginning to think that JKW is right about that output ic. ugh. thats gonna be a b*tch to pay for if that indeed is the problem. ill do what ps1ko suggested and ill find some old speaker to see if the direct connection will work, and ill also try to hook up my amp and sub to see if it works. ill get back to yall later. thanks again!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us