Archive through December 08, 2004

Vexxed in MTL
Unregistered guest
I got suckered in Montreal yesterday by the guys in the black Suburban. They said they were from Hudson and told me the speakers were hot and they had to get rid of them ASAP. One guy gave me his name and a number. He said his name is Rickee (thats how he spelled it) and his number is 514-365-3558. If anyone in the Montreal area sees these guys please get the licence plate number and post it here.

Optional: smash up their suburban and give them a good beating and please post about it here.

Vexxed in MTL
Unregistered guest
My bad, I spoke with my friend that was with me when i got the speakers and he said it was a Tahoe not a Suburban. It wasn't a rented Tahoe (I know it wasn't rented because all rental cars in quebec have a licence plate that starts with F and theirs didn't)so if anyone in Montreal sees these guys get the license plate.

Anonymous

There's on of these guys selling all the way in south carolina with NC carolina plates. Got the licsence number. I work for public safety so all of my friends are cops. The guy gave me the same deal you guys got. Ended up paying 300 for a full 4 piece set plus large sub. I know nothing about entertainment theaters. being from CA I'm used to people selling from the back of cars. Even showed me that catalog. I hooked up the speakers and they sound fine to me but I don't know anything about speakers. Until today when I tried to locate the company and found only these message boards. Now he'll be reported with the liscence plate number. Just wanted everyone to know that this scam has made it clear across the Country. oh yeah, he was in a new not rented black chevy avalanche z71.

Username: Enmityjack

Newport Beach, CA USA

Post Number: 5
Again, these speakers sound good, especially for the price. Sorry for all of you people who thought they were 6k speakers. You cxan buy these directly at:

www.speaker-city.com

bill fold
Unregistered guest
I wouldn't spend $100 on these. They are made in Japan for about $55!!!

bill fold
Unregistered guest
I wouldn't spend $100 on these. They are made in Japan for about $55!!!

Newport Beach, CA USA

Post Number: 6
Actually, they are made in CHINA, not japan, right next door to JBL's assembly plant.

hosed
Unregistered guest
Just got hit in Kansas City. I initally thought they were legit but after I baught a set of the Tr-2800 for $245 I started to wonder and get this knot in my stomach. Now that I found this post I think I completely got scamed. They will work for a while. I will probably sell them to some one else later. He said he was Part of Theater Reasearch, Research and Dev group and had the shirt and everything. I was scamed..

Rick/STL
Unregistered guest
I got my speakers 3 days ago, hooked them up soon as i got home. I have a sony es reciever, and they sound great. I got the TR-1410 Tower speakers, suggested price of $2200 a piece, I paid $250 for both, thought it was strange, guy in a van at my bank, but you know got shipped to many , needs extra money, yada yada yada.. I am not sure if i really did get ripped off. I already have Bose speakers, and these don't sound bad, beautiful cabinet too, i think i got a good deal. I'm happy. If you like the way they sound and think you got a good deal then don't feel like you got ripped off. I didn't pay to much either. Has anyone purchased these tower speakers, what do you think about them. If any one has anything to say about them please send a letter to my office :
#40 Meramec Valley Plaza Drive
St. Louis, MO 63139
Attn: Rick
P.S. Good web site

Rick/STL
Unregistered guest
I got my speakers 3 days ago, hooked them up soon as i got home. I have a sony es reciever, and they sound great. I got the TR-1410 Tower speakers, suggested price of $2200 a piece, I paid $250 for both, thought it was strange, guy in a van at my bank, but you know got shipped to many , needs extra money, yada yada yada.. I am not sure if i really did get ripped off. I already have Bose speakers, and these don't sound bad, beautiful cabinet too, i think i got a good deal. I'm happy. If you like the way they sound and think you got a good deal then don't feel like you got ripped off. I didn't pay to much either. Has anyone purchased these tower speakers, what do you think about them. If any one has anything to say about them please send a letter to my office :
#40 Meramec Valley Plaza Drive
St. Louis, MO 63139
Attn: Rick
P.S. Good web site

david786597868
Unregistered guest
Here is the information for these guys:

Theater Research
(949) 355-6008
Address: 3419 Via Lido, Suite 249
Newport Beach, CA 92663

F*** theater research
Unregistered guest
Here's a note from the inside, folks. I'm a decent person, looking to make an honest living. These "Theater Research" motherf*****s actually took out an ad in the local paper here (Ft. Worth, TX) looking for new lowlife recruits to go out and rip off anyone and everyone who are willing to listen to their trademark complete and total lies. The hustle is on the minute you walk through he f***ing door, and they will relentlessly lie to these poor people who are obviously none the wiser until they have their cash in hand. Their merchandise is a joke. Quality speakers? These pieces of crap are only as good as the pieces of crap who you bought them from. Heartless f***ing losers.

dakiwi
Unregistered guest
athens, ga. i must admit, after reading these posts, i have to reconsider my plans on purchasing TR. i've been in the market for a good set of speakers for a few months now, and have done so much perusing through internet and local directories that i feel like all i can speak is decibels and watts. a friend of mine had just purchased a pair of nice "looking" speakers from two pple at a gas station. she paid some $300 for them. told me that she was the one who ripped them off. was so excited when she bought them that she had me come over and help her test them out. at low volumes they sounded just like anything else, but once she started to crank it up, these POS just failed to even make any noise. so of course the 2 of us spent all weekend calling the numbers that she was given; no such luck there. long story short, now they are used as pedastals for her plants and nothing more. fortunately for me somebody else had made the fiscally fatal mistake that i didn't have to get into. now i'm on the prowl for some real speakers

Username: Cptchaos

Post Number: 1
This is a scam that has been going on ever since HiFi systems were introduced in the 50's. Theater Research is just the latest incarnation of it (and very savvy too - the web site makes them seem legit). The testers and researchers at Home Theater magazine were even approached by the "white van people" and for a lark they bought a pair and tested them and took them apart. Guess what? They were total junk as expected. Don't be fooled. If they are selling things out of a van they are much more likely to be cheap crap and not stolen - it's too easy to be arrested for stolen goods. Do your research, never buy from anyone you don't trust, and you should really listen to speakers first (bring your own music that you know well). If you want to save money and buy on the cheap, buy cheap speakers from BestBuy or Circuit City - at least you can take them back if you don't like the way they sound. If any one still buys them out of a van, well, P.T. Barnum is laughing from the ninth circle of hell.

Earl
Unregistered guest
My friend bought the TR-9500 Subs for some $800 or more from a gas station. same shpeal they give every1 else. He tested them on his friends 1000 watt amp, he said they thump harder than 2-12's. i dunno. He sld them to me for 150. I bought a Boss 850 amp with bass knob control for this. If neone has these tell me if they are good or should i sell em. I want a real testimonial too, no salesman damn it.

Anonymous

Just to inform you of these TR speakers, I have a pair of 2800's and they sound good. In order to get the greatest sound out of these speakers you have to buy a receiver that can push them. If you do not have a receiver that can push them, then yes, you will hear junk. It is all about your receiver. Buy a good quality receiver and you will hear good quality sound.

billy shutzman
Unregistered guest
wrong, even a good receiver won't push these speakers. They will blow at 250 watts!! Anyone who has anything good to say about these speakers is probabley the one's who are selling them. Gimme a break!!! Look at all these negative comments on this thread. DO NOT BUY THESE FROM PARKING LOT TRASH WHO SELL OUT OF THE BACK OF TRUCKS AND VANS!!!

Unregistered guest
just bought the surround sound system tr-503.. and i have done my research on these speakers.. first of all the people that sell out of the van... hmm ever think that these are mimic speakers... companys that build cheap like models.. not the real deal... just like oakly you can buy a pair anywhere in dc for ten bucks.. but i bet you a million there are not real.. so the guys in the white van you probably all got scammed buy coppy cats.. as for my speakers.. there is no way i could get the set i did cheaper.. and they sound great too..

FRANNY
Unregistered guest
another seller. These speakers are junk!!! DO NOT BUY!!!!!

Guppiehater
Unregistered guest
Has anyone figured out a way to get their money back? These f#ckers scammed me this spring in the Menard's parking lot in St. Cloud, MN. I got their plate # DEP 024 a 92' Chevy Astro Van. I went to the police and they said what these people are doing is legal and they won't give me their address. All they would tell me is that they live in the Minneapolis/St. Paul area.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Anonymous

Wow, I knew that things were greatly shady while getting gas in Sacramento, Ca I was approached by 2 guys in a gold SUV... After the whole story they gave me, and my trusting a@@ bought the TR- 6010 for $140, they even threw in the ol' maybe we can get some beers if we ever see you around. I was thinking "good b/f gift idea", well I do feel like I was taken for an idiot, but I also feel like I would have probably paid an equal price for less equipment of some off-brand in any store... Lesson learned, I feel idiotic, but that's the point, these days you can't trust anyone. If someone is trying to sell you crap out of their vehicle, that's reason enough to raise a red flag and say NO! Hopefully when I give this thing to my b/f it will just do the simple job that I bought it for, I don't need a bomb a@@ system, I just want general surround sound. We'll wait and see what we get!

Huddy
Unregistered guest
hilarious. some trashy dude and his girlfriend yelled out window at me on highway if i wanted a home system b/c they heard my system in car.being into car audio im liek oh boy!! the girls like pull over. so i pull into gas station. there was a cop there giving a guy a ticket. so the guy in his gold blazer pulls into a near by sub. guy gets out, i laughed when i saw how poor he looked. i got out of car with it in drive and let it roll a little. he ran in between the cars!!! i laughed again hopped in parked it. hes like park dude park. open up his blazer. shows me catalogue $2500 for a 200watt sub. im like uh wow wut a deal.... almost. hes like this is top of line sh*t better than bose. i go anythings better than bose. he was a little speachless. then he says i deliver to mansions and rich people and sh*t. hes like we got these extra and my boss was like f*ck em jus sell em. so im like theyre worth about $400 not 2500. he goes come on man be nice to use i wanted 800 so how bout 600 in middle. im like i got 100 on me. hes like that not gonna cut it. where can u get more money. im like the bank.... hes like they got them at krogers n sh*t right. im like no there are real banks down the road u know. he goes ok can u jus pull out another 50 and make it 450. i go no they aint worth it. he goes alrigyht ill do 400. hes like ok im hoppin in and riding with them as he pulls out box. im like you cant get it in my car my backseat is folded down with 2 sets of golf clubs on it and my trunk is full from my system. i go your gonna have to drive it to my house. hes like ok lets goto bank. im like ok great. i get in car. i said "watch this" to my friend when we get in. hes like what are you gonna pull. i pull out were at red light hes behind me. im like oh boy. 1 mile to bank from this light 1/2 way there i scurt making a turn into sub. he follows me in i make a turn down next street. he pulls up netx to me when i slow down. hes goes "dude are u goin to bank" im like no i changed my mind. he goes what the f*ck you cant do that u said yes. im like so? i dont want your stupid sh*tty speakers. hes like this is aint stupid sh*t its good sh*t. im like ok i dont want it. hes like i shuld get out of the car and beat both your a**es. im like ok do it. and he gets all pissed and drives away. he prolly felt like a real douche when a 17 year old pissed him off and got his hopes up for a sale. another quality scam attempt in michigan... didnt work out a**hole!!!

Dream Theater
Unregistered guest
I was approached by two guys in a light blue van in Montreal, QC after work. They would sell one of their so-called flagship pairs for $500. I asked them to leave me their cell number 'cause I always read the reviews from the net before buying electronics stuff. They refused so I knew it was a scam. Glad I found this forum as the first result on Google w/ "theater research speakers" as keywords.

Anonymous

This dude approached me in a gas station in Ottawa, ON. Said he was from Montreal... same deal.... said they were overstocks from California and they didn't want to pay the brokerage charges to send them back. I never buy anything without researching it to death first so I passed. He tried to sell me $2499 speakers for like $300 or so. Even showed me their ad in a magazine. He was in a green van. Funny stuff!

RngrMan99
Unregistered guest
If I ever see these yahoos in Oregon (like that one guy in Oregon) they're gonna get SOOOOOOOOO humiliated!!! Heck, if I see their ad in my paper about being a salesman for them, I'm gonna go there and find out what I need to in order to shut them down and BAM!!! Yeah, there's better things to do in life, but why not waste a couple of weeks and make a headline or two hehe

Username: Musicman5282

ya they may be scamming you guys, but don't be so dumb and spend so much money for them....I paid $75.00 dollars for a pair of tr-2189's....and for 75 dollars they are the best buy for the money i have ever gotten....so stop whinning, cause it just makes you look stupid

nottoday
Unregistered guest
Just got a call from a buddy about Theatre Research TR-6010 home theatre system. Jumped on the web and found you guys. Thanks for the posts you saved me $300.

Huddy
Unregistered guest
anybody who thinks they got a good deal on those speakers, doesnt have a clue about audio. i dont care if you paid 4000 dollars or 50 bucks. you got ripped unless they gave them to you for free. i mean on ebay you can buy klipsch speakers for a few hundred dollars. even my computer system is 100x better than theater research and i paid $65 for logitech z-560 system.

anon sfl
Unregistered guest
Warning....this is hitting South Florida as well...

anon sfl
Unregistered guest
Warning....this is hitting South Florida as well...

Newport Beach, CA USA

Post Number: 9
I am sorry for all of you who got scammed. I sell these speakers (NOT OUT OF WHITE VANS). Obviously, you know the speakers aren't worth $4,000! However, they don't sound bad. I get a lot of repeat business. I sell them on my website along with a few other brands of speakers. The website is www.speaker-city.com

Jack

Anonymous

yo i got hit today in dallas. yeah they got my money but its lesson learned. two guys in blue tahoe. they were good cons and i fell for it. bet you they need the money more than i do. thats what greed does to you.....dont fall for it!!!! worst thing is now that im thinking of it i was hit in chicago before too and in germany and i always said no until today....go with your gut....if its too good to be true it is.

Anonymous

my brother just got scammed in St. Louis, Mo. How can this be legal? Why can't the Better Business Bureau or the cops bust these guys? How do we get the message out on national TV? Any suggestions? DO NOT fall for this scam

Anonymous

yea yea they got me too in great lakes illinois I paid 200 for a TR 7000 to some young guys in a white VAN. If anyone have this model tell me if I should bother hooking this up or not?

ainsane
Unregistered guest
I got hit in Toronto today. TR1400's for $360 CAD. I never thought I'de be stupid enough to fall for a scam but I guess I am.

Leson learned I guess.

Unregistered guest
Hah hah.

Here's a funny story for all you guys who got suckered and want a good laugh. This is up in Edmonton, Alberta in Canada.

I was approached by guys selling 'cheap' speakers out of a cargo van or suv a couple of times in the last 5 years. The second time I stayed long enough to listen to the whole deal. (brochure, gotta unload em story, etc)

I knew the deal from the start and remembered seeing TR speakers in a couple of pawn shops recently so I knew the stuff was crap. I dealed the guy down from $800 at the start, to $400 and then $350. I had no intention in buying them from him, but wanted to waste his time for wasting mine. :-)

(I managed to get him to go from $400 to $350 by agreeing with him on $400 and shaking on it, then told him 2 seconds later, 'never mind it's too much money, can't afford it' so he dropped the price to $350

Once we got the price finalized, I told him I'd have to go to the bank and take out the money. I told him to hop in his vehicle and follow me. So he gets in and I then lead him on a 15 minute drive from the east side industrial area where I saw him at a gas station to close to the centre of the city. I passed by a couple of banks on the way hoping he would get a clue, but he stayed close, more or less.

Now I really wanted to have some fun. I pulled over to a side street and waved him up beside me. He rolled down his window and I told him I realized I forgot my wallet at home and asked if he would follow me home so I could get it. He was kinda unsure about it until I said I really wanted the speakers and wanted to get em before he offered em to anyone else. He was cool with that so I pulled away again and led his butt across the downtown core during rush hour up to Westmount. I stopped at some highrise building about 15 blocks from where I really lived. As he pulled up I waved to him and pointed to my watch and made a 2 with my fingers to get him to sit his loser rear there for a while. I went inside the building to the little mom and pop convenience store (which had an ATM, just for kicks) and bought a chocolate bar and chatted up the girl at the till for a couple of minutes. Then I went to use the washroom, just to kill a few more minutes, I think I was in the building for 10 or so.

So I headed back out the front door, the guy had the engine running and looked kinda suprised to see me. Guess he suspected I may have ditched him. I gave him a wave and hopped in my car.

Now the real fun. I pulled away from him and made sure he stayed with me up the street,around the corner and up a few blocks. Then when I got to groat road I pulled out into traffic so he couldn't follow me and had to wait for a break in the cars. I zipped a couple of blocks up and then pulled onto the service road. I waited for a couple of minutes and then stuck my hand out the window and waved him over as the drove past. He locked up all 4 wheels and just about had the truck behind him barrel right into him. Funny as hell. So he takes the next turn into the service road. I pull up to meet him and shout out to him to follow me, I don't want him to lose me.

Needless to say, he's a bit pissed at this point. I actually saw him mouth the words 'motherf***er' and I had a good chuckle about it. So I pull in front of him and lead him down Groat Road, past another 2 banks. I went nice and slow, just to make sure he stayed right with me. So then I make a left off of the main drag into a residential area, and lead him a couple of blocks down, then into a crescent. Then another block over, down a street and around another crescent. Then I slow to a stop in the middle of the street. Then I tear away, up the block, around the corner and away. I can see as I'm pulling away the guy is just losing it. He's shouting all kinds of obscenities, waving his hands at me. I wipped up the next block pulled a uturn and made sure I crossed in front of him at the stop sign at the end of the block he was at and smiled and waved bye bye as I crawled past him. He started shouting out the driver's window at me, 'motherf***er this, a**hole that', banging the steering wheel and whatnot. I gave him the finger and never looked back. He dropped the hammer and tried to come after me but his slow a** rental extended cargo van couldn't keep up. As he came after me, I flipped him the bird and blew him a kiss at the end of the next block and was gone.

The fun part is I managed to chew up more than an hour and a half of his time and made him drive almost 100km in a big a** rental vehicle and burn up a ton of gas stuck in rush hour in downtown. Fricken funny. That should cut into the 'beer money' since these guys always seem to be short for drinks when dealing with people.

Now I know this does nothing to help the wallets of all the guys who got suckered by the TR crooks. I just hopes it settles the soul a little bit. Maybe it'll give you guys an idea or two the next time someone offers you some speakers in a parking lot.

Peace

Silver Member
Username: Sploosh56

Post Number: 400
hahaha. wow. that is awesome.

NORTHERN INDIANA
Unregistered guest
Was approached by two slick dudes telling me they have an extra pair of top of the line spealers. I asked if they were Paradigm, Totem, B & W or what. They 1st guy looked at the 2nd and said man are they "way better than that" I looked at both of them and said "that would be a first" At this point the 1st guy gets one of the boxes out of the van and I asked him to open the box, which he did. 2nd guy then says "they like $2000 a piece" I started laughing at this point. I asked them if they were joking as I tapped on the cabinet and listened to the hum. I told them that I have seen these on Ebay and can get them brand new for $150, but I would be more than willing to give them $20 for the pair. Now they were laughing. I walked to my car and one of them shouted "how about $100?", I shouted how about $10, at which point they loaded up the crap and drove away.
DO SOME RESEARCH FOLKS, LOOK AT PRODUCTS LIKE PARADIGM, KEF, AND B & W. TAKE A SERIOUS LOOK AT WHAT $2000 RETAIL SPEAKERS LOOK LIKE AND DECIDE FOR YOURSELF. MY ADVICE IS TO STAY CLEAR OF THEATER RESEARCH AND FOR THAT MATTER ANYTHING YOU CAN BUY OUT OF A VAN.

ERM
Unregistered guest
Heh Nother sucker, from Ma.. never heard of this brand or anything just straight up suckered, got the liscense plate , dont know if thats gonna do anmything in the police report but well see, 200$ for those things havent hooked them up though but rfom this thread i beleive i was scammed.

ELM-er_641
Unregistered guest
My buddy just got sca-mm-ed on a set called the 2810. He was ALLLL about his precious find and couldn't WAIT to put them up against my $3500 Artistic Audios. Of course, he thought his gems would match up to the almighty Mobius, but NOT EVEN CLOSE! Those 2810s sounded so choked and strangled, like they needed to come up for air. And, the tweeter was very weak. These things are nice to look at, but very badly engineered. Well, I doubt any real audio engineering was done at all. The MOBIUS still rules my roost.

guy_who_knows
Unregistered guest
I have seen this scam a couple of times, once in Raliegh NC about three years ago, the latest time was last week in Atlanta. In Atlanta I learned some things about thier corporate operations. This is an organized effort, it is not lots of guys all over the country with the same idea working independantly. They pick thier stuff up at wharehouses and sell it on the streets, the quality is low, you would do much better taking your money to Best Buy and spending it. I met a couple of thier salesmen at a warehouse in Atlanta were I was picking up some batteries for work, I have picked up material at this warehouse many times, and I assure you that they do not load extra anything onto thier vans, as a matter of fact they don't load anything into the vans, the salesman so, and the sales man are not allowed into the warehouse to put extra anything onto the forklift. The salesmen offered to sell me three sets of any kind of speakers I wanted for a hundred bucks being that I was at the warehouse and they wouldn't even have to laed them, I told them no thanks.

Remember you get what you pay for, and there is no free lunch.

C. A.
Unregistered guest
Hahaha. I got approached in the Bank of America parking lot in San Luis Obispo, California today. I guess the guy figured a 20 year old driving a nice shiny Lincoln would have money to blow. He talked to me from his car, saying he just installed a speaker system at some guy's house in Avila Beach and got their old system from them for almost free. He went on to say how they're worth like 3000 dollars. Being the lover of deals that I am, I asked, "what brand are they?" When he responded with "Theater Research" I laughed and said "I know about that brand" whilst giving him a thumbs down. He then got really aggressive and told me I don't know what I'm talking about and how he is a "sound engineer" (since when do sound ENGINEERS work out of the back of a truck? sounds like a sales lackey to me). I'm really glad I knew about this brand already, though I doubt I'd ever think I was getting 3000 dollar speakers for "cheap". Ever heard the axiom "If it's too good to be true, it probably isn't" anyone? If you think these are decent speakers I'm sure you're the kind to buy Bose stuff as well. Save your money and buy some stolen Klipsch's or something.

nuts
Unregistered guest
just got scamed by two young punks in a suv same pitch can't take them back boss told them to grt rid of them. i told them i'll give them 200 for both towers(tr-2900)checked them out on the web and sure enough they got me. well the cases are ok i could always replace the junk speakers with good ones

Username: Original_b

oh man i think i got screw'd over i baught a pair of TR-9500's for $320 canadien but the're only 10's and they sound sick they ever outpower by buddy's 12" rockfords. but they seem to be q-power know off's. Oh well i bought em to sell em so well see, anyone interested???

Anonymous

You guys saved me $ on eBay, I was tempted.

Takeereasy
Unregistered guest
I almost fell for the same scam in Toronto. Only the fact that 3 family members and my girlfriend's birthday all were about to happen within a two week period kept me from dropping $150.00 on this obvious hoax. I was offered a pair of speakers that retailed for about $1500.00 a piece for initially $600.00. I said no thanks and was more than happy to walk away. The salesman started the high pressure sales routine right about here, and man was he good. Everything from the brochures to the phony work order, to the pitch regarding how it was my lucky day because they'd loaded 4 pairs instead of 4 individual speakers all seemed very plausible. When he let me talk him down to $150 I wanted to jump at it soooo bad. My greed was so close to getting the better of me despite the little voice in the back of my head saying this is too good to be true, and you don't really have the money to be spending on more speakers now.
When I finally said no and turned to walk away was when I became convinced that this venture was all a scam. The previously polite salesman who had initially been so helpful and well spoken became instantly rude and vulgar to me. His words were "Thanks for wasting my time you little f&*#.", & take off before I give you a F&@*ing beating." I'm assuming he called me little because I am about 20 years younger than him, and about 50 lbs of fat lighter. I am not a violent person, lucky for him, but my cousin that was with me doesn't mind mixing it up a little. It took me and a friend holding him back to stop something bad from happening. I'm not saying my cousin was tougher, and I don't think that a brawl in a Blockbuster parking lot would have solved anything, or even been fun to watch. I'm just reporting on the kind of people this company is willing to hire to conduct it's illicit sales. Anyway, reading these postings has made me twice as sure as I was earlier that I made the right call.

One last thing before I go, when I found out these guys had an actual web site I had to look for myself just to see. You have to have a look at this piece of crap site. All the spelling mistakes and gramatical errors make it obvious that this is a sham. (please no comments about my spelling or grammer, I don't opperate a web site that helps defraud the public). Here is the scary thing though. They now offer a TV for sale. You are all aware of how they inflate their prices so that if you check the MSRP online you will be aware of what a great deal you got? Well get ready for this one, their 27" flat screen plain jane TV sells for around $1200.00.

Anyways, thanks for listening to my rant, and I found this page extremely helpful.

Weasel
Unregistered guest
Hey their in westland MI too....2 of my friends got hit by them for a couple hundred bucks...they tried to get me to buy their crap i just told them i'm not gonna waste my money on some garbage i never heard of, and i'm pretty big on the whole audio thing. I know it was a tall white boy with a bad acne problem and a short kinda chuby oriental guy with a bunch of metal in his face that sure did smile a lot. Anyways they drive a 2002 or newer Red Ford Explorer the plate was "HHD 044"

GREED
Unregistered guest
Remember greed is a nasty thing and it was that greed getting something for nothing that got you scammed. Next time remember if it is too good to be true then it is not good. I mean really $2000 speakers for $100???? You really think this is good??? You all thought it was stolen property and were getting a good deal and now you are the victim. You are not the victim because you bought right into your own greed. Yes you got ripped off but at the time you thought you were buying stolen property and getting something for nothing. Stealing from someone else. If it was in fact stolen the police would have made you accessories after the fact as you knew you were buying stolen items. It is illegal to purchase known stolen items. People get your heads straight. When people learn not to be so greedy maybe these scammers won't make any money and they will go away. You just keep giving them your money and they will keep taking it. They only way to stop them is to stop buying from them. You are the only one's who can stop them. Forget about yourself and how much money you will save and your greed. Don't give in to these crooks. When and only when people forget about greed will they go away. Of course that will never happen so this will never go away as one poster said it has been going on for 5 years now and will continue as greed will always be the factor that traps and insnares people.

Username: Watch_out

They got me yesterday in NDG Montreal,Quebec,Canada. I bought the Tr-9500 for 300,00$. Navy Tahoe license no.FB3447 Qc.Of course this is a rented truck. 2 white mens and a black man... I filled a police report and it seems they were already under investigation. I was told the RCMP is taking care of this setting... Will kick their **s if I see em again!

J'ai achete la boite de son a Montreal hier. Les crotes etaient abord d'un Tahoe bleu marin immatricule FB3447 Que. J'ai fais une deposition a mon poste de quartier et apparemment que c'est la GRC qui s'occupe de leurs cas. Ils auraient ete enquetes les 6 et 7 Octobre dernier avec de la marchandise audio. Ce ne serait pas des biens voles mais plutot des articles de mauvaise qualite qu'ils obtiennent pour un prix modiques... Pour ma part, si je les appercoit, je leur reserve toute une surprise et j'ai averti toutes mes connaissances afin qu'ils m'appelle si ils sont interpelles par ces sales crotes!!!!!!!!!! Pour ce qui est de la qualite, je l'ai fait evalue par mon cousin qui travaillait dans un magasin specialise pour l'audio automobile et c'est vraiment mauvais. Les specs sont faux et quant a la durabilite du produit, on en parle meme pas...

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 2216
Man, my French is rusty. At least I knew it was French :-)

Michigandumbasss
Unregistered guest
Im from Michigan. I got it too. Two guys in an explorer driving down the street asked me if I wanted speakers. I said no, then we were stopped because of an accident in front of us. I looked, I was supsicious of getting arrested. I bought them...I have 2 JBL towers in my living room and I hooked these up...They arent anything special. I feel so rediculous. I told my dad what i did and explained what happened and now Im ashamed to tell him im an idiot. These guys had on uniforms.. I took their licenses and their licene plate...ALL FAKE...I paid 200 for Towers..Why cant we all take these people down?

Unregistered guest
HOT IRON AND SOME SPEAKERS!
Morganown West Virginia- So here's a story
White Van, Theater Research Speakers. Last week i ended up buying the speakers from some dude got the same run down that everyone else posted. I said 600 why not, they weren't for me but for my fraternity. I plugged them in before i bought them and they sounded pretty good. Alright now i'm happy and my fraternity is happy both thinking we got hooked up. I never considered to look on the interent. That's just not me. Couple days roll by my next store neighbor comess over telling us we got scamed and had all sorts of stories from the internet. Alright now i want to kill this man. He left us with his number hoping for more business so i called him and told him everything worked out well and were interested in buying more. Comes back i tell him i want 2 more towers and a surround sound. So he brings it in my neighbors house then i show him all the info we found on the internet. Hahaha.... You should have seen his face. I told him he was luckly i didn't take a hot Iron to his face. I scared the sh~t out of him and walk away with some more towers and surround sound. Thank god i never took the hot iron to his face becasue the cops came and i probably would have got arrested! THE COPS WERE USELESS AND TOLD HIM NOT TO SELL ANY SPEAKERS IN MORGANTOWN WITHOUT A PERMIT AFTER SHOWING THEM INFORMATION FORM THE INTERNET ABOUT THE SCAM. Even though i probably got ripped off a couple hundred dollars i felt satisfied in the end after taking those speakers and letting the dude know what's up.

Chris420
Unregistered guest
I was also scammed, two young white guys one with lots of piercings.Told me his boss gave him too much stuff and he would get in trouble or some s@#t if he brought them back. Only paid 150 for two Ts 4210. Speakers arent bad, but not what i thought i was getting. BTW i am in dallas tx.

JDOrl
Unregistered guest
Wish I would have waited ....2 guys in a White Explorer. TR-501 Surround Sound. $400. Orlando, FL.

Unregistered guest
hey guys i'm here in detroit,mi and i was wondering if any one wants to sell theirs speakers real cheap and maybe cut your loses? email me at ibesp@yahoo.com with a pic or model number and preferbly a phone number. esp if you have the TR-1611 & TR-1610 surround setup or the 602 system. very very serious about this post.

The Insider
Unregistered guest
I have a friend who's been working "sales" for a home theater company for about a year now. Since I was out of a job, and needed some money real bad, (which he always seemed to have a lot of) I asked him if there was any way he could get me a job there. He was like "I'll see what I can do"...

About a week later, I show up to this little office/warehouse in an industrial park for "training"...

Long story short, I spent the day driving erratically around in a White Van targeting suckers to buy cheap a$$ speakers out of the back of the van.

Here's what I could gleen from my one day on the "job". The speakers we were "selling" were worth about $100-$150. There are levels of advancement, like I was told (as a regular traniee) I would have to sell them for $200. For each one that didn't make it back to the warehouse, I owed $200. The longer you are there, the more you climb through the ranks as a saleman, the lower you are allowed to go on the price, so more money is making it's way into your pocket. They will walk away from any offer below $200 for the most part. It depends which speakers they're selling.

So anyway, as you've learned, there's not much that you can get these guys on. It's nothing different than sticker prices on cars.

My friend said that he was making almost $100K a year, tax free. For the record, we sold 3 surround sound sytems, and 2 pairs of speakers, and made over $1000 on the day.

These guys aren't going anywhere, anytime soon. So just be smart, and don't buy anything out of the back of a Van/Trunk whatever.

I'm not going to be hanging out with that "friend" anymore.

The Insider
Unregistered guest
I should add... They target men who look like they can be hustled at HOME DEPOT, BEST BUY, LOWES, BANKS, GAS STATIONS, or just driving in between.

MattSpokane
Unregistered guest
Wow, this has spread really far. I live in Spokane, WA. I've got pretty much the same story as everyone else. Several months ago I was approached by a guy in a white van in his 30s and said that he was accidentally given 4 extra systems. He seemed real excited about it all and said that he had already sold a system to some student at Gonzaga for 1800 and he pulled out the money in his wallet to show me. He was real friendly of course and told me he worked for a local sound company and showed me the invoice for the speakers. I talked to him for a while and he told me he just got out of the navy and served aboard an aircraft carrier. He kept pushing and haggling with me until I said that I could spend 350. He said okay and followed me to the closest bank... come to think of it, he knew where the closest bank was. It really seemed like he was just another local guy; maybe he is. I gave him the money after withdrawing from the ATM and he helped load it into my car. When I got home I thought I could resell it on Ebay like he suggested. Well, now I know these speakers (TR-7000) are worthless and I feel terrible. I thought that I could help turn a quick profit for my family, but now I'm out 350... It sounded like he goes around to different college parking lots looking for people. Should I report him to the cops? I wrote down his license plate number, but can't find it anywhere! From the sound of posts, it seems the police are usually too lazy to do anything

Feeling alright...
Unregistered guest
Oh Great!!! As the big bad boy I thought I was. I guess I got kinda jipped. And even got my buddy jipped over the phone. I dare not tell him about this site otherwise he will whup my butt.

Guy in a gold Astro!!! Thats a change. San Francisco area. Chinatown to be exact. Guy comes into my work, shouts, "who wants some nice speakers." Oh phuck yeah.. me me me!!! Hook me up player..! What you got?!?! Shows me his fat catalog, 1998.oo each.. tr2810. Showed my co-workers.. "yes yes..some nices sh!t" Where are they I ask... And off we go to his mini van.

Guy wore overalls, white man in his 40s. Had on some acustic tee shirt. Honest looking installer of home speakers. All kinds of installation crap in his van. From speaker wires to drills and even a tester leads coming out from under the driver seat.

Did you steal these from your work??? "Noooo, I work for blah blah home theater company. And its a double order. If I don't sell them, my boss is gonna take it and sell them for 5 g's when he gets his hand on these."

Dameeee.. 5 grand for these babies.? How much are you gonna hook me up for? "900.oo will get you two towers, center channel and rear surrounds." Thats a deallll!!! Wuuhooo..!!! But ehhh.. can't you drop it a little bit? How bout 700.oo? Dude hesitates for like 15sec.. stuck his stubby paint covered hand out and we shook on it. Carried it into my work and check to make sure I wasn't buying bricks of newspaper. Told the guy to leave them here and come back later after I test them out. " I don't feel comfortable leaving em here. I got a test thing in my car." Off we go to his van and plugged em in. BOOOM BOOOM BOOOM!!! Scheewing!!! I'll take them.. but ehhh, what about them other set in there that says tr2800.. Are those for sale? "Ofcourse" Koool..Let me call my buddy.. Calls my friend.. He says, "I don't have any money!" "Help me cover and I'll get you back. What brand are they?? TR..?? WTF is that??" I don't know.. but his catalog says 2gs each!! So does the box. "alright.. hook it up for me tooo"

Went up to the guy.. asks him what he can do as a package, since I'm helping him unload these. " I'll give you 100 off the second set." No way!!! Thats it?? Forget it, take the first set back too.. You didn't pay anything for these. You are lucky I even give you 500 for the second set. I said.. hook me up otherwise I won't even take the first set. He said 1000.oo I said 800.oo and the deal was at 900.oo. Inspected the second set, tested it and everything was a go. Forked over the cash and he was on his merry way.

Went home.. checked out the goods. Switched the set of old Bose and cranked them babys up. Not bad.. Not bad at all. Called my friend and asked him how was his tr2800. Just lovely.. He is storing his Sony's down to his garage already. Both happy campers.

Got online this morning, check out the tr website and was somewhat suspicious. Then looking at the professional section and noticed the had a speaker that looked just like a pair of old speakers I got off of a van around 10 years ago. Accustic "RESEARCH". Which also hit hard! I figure they changed their name to TR now and made some nicer stuff. Cool!! As long as the stuff sounds good.. I don't care where its made. Sh!ttt.. JL's are made in Taiwan... so.. TR's are made in China.. same freaking thing. Except these are alot cheaper.

Anyways.. I just feel bad I didn't talk em down more.. Wouldn't really call it a "scam" folks. TR stuffs are alright. And the dude has kids to feed too.. Besides, in stores I wouldn't be able to get anything as nice as these for that price. So say what you want to say about my stupid head.. But I don't think you all should feel THAT bad. I done switched my bose speakers as surround speakers and used the TR as the fronts. Sounds good, hits hard.. And things that usually don't rattle is sure rattling now.

I don't work for these fools.. I sell wholesale meat to restaurants in the Bay Area. Just telling you all where I stand. Don't make others feel bad because you didn't get 4000.oo worth of speakers for 200.oo or what ever you paid for them.

Nutterbutter
Unregistered guest
Yeah I almost got taken today in Ellensburg, WA. Guy in a Tahoe (whats with all the chevy's??) and got the sent us too many speakers bit. Do you think a company is gonna not notice $7000 worth of speakers missing?? I didn't have cash and my buddy wanted them. I left, looked on the web since it would be some nice speakers to go with his Louve tv (or however ya spell it) and came across this website.

I RACED back down just as they guy was about to take my friends money and I told him to get in the car and we left. Close call!

Just wanted to say thanks to everyone and this website for saving the day (and $600).

Unregistered guest
OK, these forums had me really worried. I bought a pair of TR-1610's from Ebay thinking I got a really good deal...plus they looked gorgeous. After I paid for them, I did a search and found forums like this, and thought damn...should I stop payment on my check?? I paid $150 plus shipping, I decided not to stop payment b/c I didn't want negative feedback left on me. Anyway, I finally got the speakers 3 days ago, I was prepared to hate them...but I took them out of the box...knocked on the cabinet, inspected them, they were heavy and felt solidly built..no echo or anything when you knocked on them. So there I go to hook them up and see what I got. First day, undecided, wow, they were loud, but a bit harsh, I played them a few hours to break them in, and my ears hurt the rest of the day. Today is the 4th day, and I must say I got a steal at $150! They are loud, clear even at ear-splitting volumes, no cabinet vibrations at all, bass just right, not too much, not too little..no, they are definitely not $2500 speakers, and I think their selling tactics are disgusting, too put it mildly, but they seem definitely worth $500-$600 in my opinion. Definitely better quality than the $200-$300 speakers you get as Best Buy and such. Also true, I have never auditioned audiophile speakers, but all I know is they are beautiful, solid, and Metallica sounds very good on them right now...they definitely blow my old Kenwood towers out of the water. And I cranked them, and they didn't blow..lol. I have them bi-wired also..don't know if that makes a difference or not. Anyway, maybe some TR's are better than others...I don't know...but if you paid a few hundred for them, I'd say at least hook them up and give them a listen...after they break in a bit, they sound very impressive, indeed, for the price. I'm very satisfied with my purchase, I actually did get a good deal after all. They'll definitely do until I can save enough to buy my Axiom M60s. Just wanted to put my opinion up here, for anyone else that might have just bought them unawares, like I did...wouldn't buy them from a van, though, if you get some, at least get them from ebay where you can get a little protection for your purchase. Anyway, good luck, everybody.

never-mind
Unregistered guest
Well.Thanks guys for all the posts. If I didn't read all this first, I might have purchased TR-603 surround system off of Ebay. I've canceled my bid and all is good. Although, I would have really liked a $350 (canadian) 5.1 digital 900W surround sound system. :-)
Heck, I guess I have to continue listening to my music on my Cambridge SoundWorks 5.1 surround sound speakers hooked to my PC... ;)

- Van sales......obviously a scam....ppl wake up..
- Ebay sales......well...at least you have some options...

cheers..

Anonymous

You sell wholesale meat???????????? My friends and I eat a ton, do you sell to non businesses?

Anonymous

They are in Anchorage Ak as of 11-12-04
some guy said his boss signed for 50 at a warehouse and the shipment was 60 so he was trying to get rid of the overstock and splitting the money with 6 other guys, I got 2x 3012's for 150.00, hooked them up to my friends stereo and they sounded better than his KLH and compaired with his BOSE, but I only had them hooked up for 5 minutes or so...hope they dont blow...

moving on
Unregistered guest
It sounds like I got took for 4 hokers. Anyhow I guess it will have to do for a starter set. I don't feel stupid. If it sounds alright than I would be ok. I can't really play loud theater sounds everynite. Oh it happen to me in Sacramento, CA off Madison Ave @ a credit union.

Anonymous

Well, for somebody who knows better, I feel pretty darn stupid!!! I got hit in Cleveland Ohio for two TR floor speakers ($2,449 per speaker - yeah right). I went out and bought a 600 watt Sony receiver and hooked them up. They actually sound pretty good but I'm pissed that I paid $225 a piece for them. I could have bought a nice surround system by the time I spent $450 on the speakers and another $200 on the receiver. Dumb Dumb Dumb. I don't know what I was thinking buying some speakers out of the back of a van in a parking lot. I should have known God was trying to tell me something when the ATM in the gas station wouldn't let me take out more that $60 bucks. And just in case you jerks who sold these speakers to me like to read this website to catch up on your victims, it will all come back to you some day, so to you foo man choo with the bad breath and the two freak kids with you, my suggestion is to stay out of the Cleveland area because next time we meet, the speakers might not be the only thing leaveing in a box. Hey, and please use some of the $$ to buy yourself some breath mints.

Unregistered guest
anybody want to sell some theater research speakers here in bc canada i will love to buy one and try out this speakers system .there is one selling in the buy sell tr 5120 for 150 is that good any body want to SELL THIERS I WANT TO BUY THEM YOU CAN CAL ME AT 604 589 4938

A-GEL
Unregistered guest
MY EMAIL ADRESS IS ACRUZ@TELUS.NET

hopefully-saved
Unregistered guest
yeah i just bought some tr1610's and tr1611's off of ebay and i did alittle research before i purchased them by alittle i mean i looked at there site and thought okay maybe worth a try for the money. well needless to say i looked at the fourms and bad bussiness site. yeah i stoped payment, if it dosent go thru ill let all of you know the exact specs freq range. x,max everything ill get back lates

asdfsdfsad
Unregistered guest
I just got scammed as well. Same crap as everyone else...white van, overstocked had to get rid of them. $300 for the big ones. They seemed really nice. As suspicious as I was, it seemed pretty legit. I don't care about the money as much as its terrible to feel like such a sucker right now. FAITH IN THE HUMAN RACE - MINUS TEN POINTS

Kayti_fromOmaha
Unregistered guest
I wish I would have seen this site yesterday!! Yup, same BS story: 2 nerdy lookin white boys pulled up in a ford explorer (figured a girl was an easy target!) and said they were from texas, said they ordered these from that magazine (which looked legit) and they "accidentally" shipped two of their order (um... right, the company didn't notice $5000 worth of equip. missing?). When they told me that they were TR brand and were worth $1500-2000 I told them I had never heard of it, but they kept sayin that these were the sh!t down in the south. i didn't believe their BS story but i figured they were stolen or somethin. shoulda known better! I got suckered into 2 for $150 I haven't hooked them up yet actully there still in the box unopened (model: TR-9500).
So everyone watch out for these punks! I'm from the northside of Omaha, NE so if you see em.. tell em i told you whatsup!!

**one more thing!!**
-you guys on this website that say that they these speakers dump and that they are worth $$ are probably the sorry-a$$ white boys that I met... You ain't foolin no one!

NappyDugout
Unregistered guest
WHITE VAN! That is hilarious! HAAAA! The ole speakers in the white van racket!!!! Dude pop is running out of my nostrils! ahhhh ahhhhha These dorks run around the Illinois suburbs...they approached me "SPEAKERS...on the house!" MSRP of $6000. Poor Kayti!

Anonymous

i just bidded for a TR-603 home theater system on EBay. I don't know if i should send payment or not based on all of your comments. Also does anyone know if the location of TR Theater Research in Newport Beach CA is a real store or is it a sham?

Unregistered guest
Alrighht, my (now) ex boyfriend got a job at one of these white van scam places and he was so impressed with the way they sounded he got me a pair ... now 6 months later ... they are garbage. All they do is play static instead of music. Even if im playing a cd the sound quality is horrible. So if you want to blow your $$$ on disposible speakers be my guest.

Silver Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 519
Hey never ever buy anything from a white van. Isn't that odd? Almost all of them drive a white van.
My encounter wasn't as pleasant as yours. These 2 guys tried to sell me some home speakers. I didn't need any so I declined. They were presistent. At one point I almost fell for their sales pitch, blah blah blah $2000 blah only $150 now. Well after listening to them for a while, somthing felt wrong. Why would anyone sell something that's $2000 for $150? It didn't add up so I decided to walked away from them. That really pissed them off. Just cause I chose not to be another victim, they drove the van around and tried to ram my truck. When I stopped to avoid them, the guy got out and spit on my car then ran off. Talk about being rude.
Anyways I'm just trying to tell you that some of them will get violent, so be careful.

yacunt
Unregistered guest
hey i posted some stuff and it isnt here anymore.
this is just part of the scam, thanks for nothing
yacunt

petertork
Unregistered guest
lick my sack

DoggDigitalinfo
Unregistered guest
This is similar to the scam several years ago with Dogg Digital Speakers that crossed the nation. I bought some a couple months ago from a friend that bought them out of a van in West Bloomfield, MI. Turns out that they sound fantastic but I became suspicious when dropping into some of these forums. By all accounts that I can find, the speakers are actually authentic but I was wondering if anyone here has heard of this particular scam. I've also been told that the related company in both cases is PTS (Precision Transducer Systems). Any info would be much appreciated

GoodAsDead
Unregistered guest
Jesus tap-dancing Christ. I should've known better than this. Same exact story - two guys in their 20's in a red Explorer got me at a gas station in Dallas. They had me hooked big time. One was a big white guy, and the other was half Asian. They told me "Come on, when's the next time you'll get a deal like this from one and a half white guys!" Well, that made me laugh at the time, but now they are the only ones laughing. B*TCHES!! The deal sounded sooo sweet too. I was paying $300 a piece for $1600 speakers, and I figured I could sell them on ebay and make a fat profit. Then I got home and I Googled "Digital Research Speakers" and it took me straight to this thread. Dammit, I'll probably have to sell one of my bass guitars just to make that money back. STUPID, STUPID STUPID!!

Silver Member

Post Number: 580
Hey guy, you were lucky. Some people bought speakers/amps/VCR from them thinking they were real. When they got home to test, the boxes were full of rocks!
Talk about the ultimate insult.

Jampacked
Unregistered guest
there is a guy on ebay selling these systems solely for less than 200 for the 5 and 6 pc systems, they look like good systems, reading all these posts makes me wonder, think I will stick wit bose

watdouxpect
Unregistered guest
Don't label me a "salesperson" or "employee" of this company because I am not. I understand that getting scammed or being mislead to believe something that is too good to be true sucks donkey balls, but read on...

My dad was approached by a couple of guys in a red Explorer or something close (I dont exactly remember what he told me) in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area in Texas. He ended up buying the auto subs and a set of 2800 tower speakers for $400 total ($100 for the box - $300 for the towers) not knowing about all of this. He kept the box and gave me the 2800s. All in all, they are not half bad. They look clean, all the mids are isolated in the towers (in simple terms - the towers are not just thrown together, some time went into them), and with 100 watts running to each, they put out a clean high and mid range sound - the bass isn't so great at higher volumes, but I am just going to disconnect the sub since I already have a stand alone.

All in all, I am satisfied with the speakers. I know they are not some major name brand like Bose, but if you can talk these guys down to a couple of bills for the set, you might surprised. To me they are worth it especially, if you are not willing to actually spend several grand on a theater system. I have had several friends complement on the set, and tell me that they would like to get some too - if the price is right ;-)

The bandpass that he bought supposedly retailed for $1500 - whatever, but for what he paid, not bad. It is nice looking, has 1/2" plexi for the window, blue neon lights, and for $100 bucks, you really can't go wrong even if you pull those subs and put in your own.

Also, if it will ease anyone's mind in Texas, if you can get the license plate, I will see what I can do to get the address or any contact info on the people selling them there. Just post it ,and I will check back later.

AzzHole!
Unregistered guest
Will you people please let this thread DIE!
Those speakers arent even Car Audio speakers....
Just because some tennesee waterfall modeling
douche-nozzle sold them to you out of his van
doesnt mean thayre "car/van audio" speakers.
Let it go.
Find another farking forum to wh0re.

AzzHoleIzADumbAzz
Unregistered guest
Hey AzzHole, check their web site for car audio and you will find a set of subs - also, read the posting right above yours about the BOX w/ the plexi window. You dumb sh!t. Do your research before you try to go out and make some kind of point and remember - There are no stupid questions, just stupid people, AzzHole!

Yodaddyluv
Unregistered guest
Hey I bought a 6 piece system from a guy in a Wal Mart parking lot and I have not hooked them up yet. I have not bought a receiver and I was wondering if anybody knew if the subwoofer is powered or if I have to get a seperate amp. Any help is much appreciated!

Silver Member

Post Number: 646
Whoa guy, didn't you read the post before you went to walmart? Never buy from a parking lot/beach. Most, if not all of them are crooks.
As for your system, you will have to tell us exactly what brand/model it is.

Roidrage
Unregistered guest
Lloydminster Canada- My brother got taken yesterday! I'm F@#KIN pissed...I've heard this story too many times! If I see this Van here again I swear to god i'm going to beat these little F@#KS till they quit moving...Then I'm going to clean their van out! I'm not going to see another one of my friends or family taken by this again!For the record, these are the worst speakers I've ever listened to...And if anyone wants to defend them they can lick my F@#KIN BALLS!

Anonymous

A pair were arrested in Cincinnati two months ago pulling this operation. They were questioned by police after failing to flee the parking lot in time. They were both arrested for possession of controlled substance (undisclosed) and released on bond. It seems they made the mistake of scamming a city councilman's relative that morning and were hunted down in short order. Dunno what ever happened to their cargo, but I don't believe they were charged with anything more than the drugs, vending without a permit and failure to collect/declare sales tax.

Ain't it sweet. Oh, and for all the "anonymous" posters talking like these speakers are so sweeet and worth the money, do you really think people don't see right through it? It's funny how you see 30-40 angry posts, followed by a short spurt of 3-5 anonymous posts, back-to-back, claiming how great they are, then back to all the angry posts. Puuuuuuhh-leeeeze....save your scamming for the suckers you find on the street...

Oh, the TR website seems to be the repeated victim of malicious attacks...go figure...

Silver Member

Post Number: 647
Hey Roidrage, how much did your brother pay? How did the crooks look like? Maybe it was the same van that tried to rip me off.

LetMeHelpU.com
Unregistered guest
Anyone who doesn't think that this isn't a scam just go to www.speaker-city.com. Then in another browser window go to www.trtheaterresearch.com and compair. When you get done come back here and tell me how the hell one website can sell another websites exact merchadise for $2,000 less! I feel sorry for those of you who still think these speakers are a good deal!!!! Thank god for this forum. I was about to have to kick myself in the azz for buying some of this sh1t!

Anonymous

I looked at it this way. I had some money in my pocket and I was planning to risk it all at the local casino. I could have ended up with zippo that way. I bought 1420s and hooked them up to the smooth jazz on HBO. They sound good to me. Better than the boz wave radio that I paid $500 for. It is sounds and they they are better than what I knew. But they were asking 2250 apiece. At a dime for a dollar big deal and I dont have a headache. Look what we get for other money we spend, at least these sound clear. It cost me $50 to put gas in the car. BUT IT SURE SEEMED LIKE A HUSSLE. WEB site where neither fax phone or email is accepted. AOL message center just announced 'Iraq attacks'. What the %^&$#@!

CAN U HEAR ME
Unregistered guest
PERHAPS THE SHAME IN THIS IS THE GOVERNMENT. THE BOXES ARE LABELLED 'MADE IN CHINA'. THE AVERAGE HOURLY WAGE IN CHINA IS 65 CENTS AN HOUR! WHO WANTS A JOB THAT PAYS $6.50 HERE? 65 CENTS TO $20 IS TIMES 30X.
IF THEY ARE BREAKING INTO THE AUDIO MARKET THEY CAN GIVE VALUE FOR LESS THAN THE COST OF SHIPPING. IT COULD JUST BE THE HOME MARKETPLACE AND THE GOVERNMENT POLICY TOWARDS TRADE. LISTEN WITH YOUR EARS AND FEEL SAD FOR ANOTHER HOME INDUSTRY THAT MIGHT BE USURPED BY QUESTIONABLE LABOR COST ADVANTAGES.

Tricks-on-Them
Unregistered guest
My dad called me the other day from the road, He travels alot for his business and said these guys in MN. had stopped along the road where he was checking his loaded trailer and asked if he wanted to buy some Home Theater speakers they were the TR-7010 6 peice set. Anyway I was at home and on the computer already when he called and so I just looked quick for any info I could find and wouldn't you know it I found their site so thinking the deal was just a steal I told him if he could get them cheap to go ahead and I would take a set too. Anyway I hang up the phone and do some more checking then I find stuff like this is a big scam and also found them on Ebay for like $225.00 with free shipping so I say to myself this is a crapy deal even at $250.00 a set that we paid, so I call the old man up and tell him we just got took and he is pissed off. Well as it turns out the guy took a check and so the old man says well the scam is on him now, because it only took the old man about 5 minutes to call his bank and cancel payment on the check. So now if the jerks that sold us these speakers want them back he is welcome to call me as Dad dropped them off at my house and if the guy wants them he will need to drive a ways to get them and then I will only meet him at the cop shop so I wish him luck, ho and did I say I am even in a different state so if he wants to file a claim against the old man for stopping payment on the check then he will still need to travel to our court house to do so and then explain his lack of busines licsense and failure to collect taxes etc. Ha Ha LOL at the Jerks now. PS after awhile I may try them out if I don't sell them.

Silver Member

Post Number: 690
Ha ha, finally some justice.

Anonymous

#1, to Can U Hear...now we can't because you shouted with caps the whole time.

#2 STFU, you lazy union whiner, Chinese are smokin' us because they're hungry and ambitious and willing to work hard. The only answer Americans can come up with to compensate for our laziness is by trying to tax the rest of the world to keep them from competing on a level playing field because our soft, lazy ways have totally come full circle and bitten us hard on the buttocks. We are so uncompetitve in most industrial/manufacturing fields that all we have left is banking and some intellectual industries. We have surrendered manufacturing not because of our government, but because of US, *OUR* laziness, *OUR* uncompetitiveness, *OUR* unwillingness to learn how the rest of the world works and try to compete with it rather than try to solve our ignorance and laziness gap by taxation and subsidies alone. The EU is going to slowly force the dismantaling of all our lazy protectionist policies, and then we'll truly have to buck up, tighten our belts and learn to do without every freakin luxury in life and actually work our butts off for a living. What a horrifying concept to we lazy-as*ed Americans...

Silver Member

Post Number: 692
Whoa CAN U HEAR ME, you need to start your own thread and not hijack this. Please do not use all caps, it sounds very rude.
You need to open your eyes and stop being so blind. Blaming all your problems to china/india/mexico etc isn't going to fix anything. All the companies that's moving their businesses to 3rd country are doing it under their own free will. Like everything else, sooner or later, it'll all level out. Who knows maybe the same companies that's leaving North America might come back once the labour competition heats up.
You mentioned 65 cents for labour in China. Well what do you think will happen if 10 or more companies compete for it? It'll drive the cost up. That's what happens in the free market enterprise.
Now stop cutting classes and learn something.

can you hear me
Unregistered guest
Isaac
you say "Like everything else, sooner or later, it'll all level out. Who knows maybe the same companies that's leaving North America might come back once the labour competition heats up."
Later could be an entire generation and that will be to late for those of you who see $150 to $1000 as real money.
Isaac the way you think and write I wonder what the biblically Abraham would have done with you on the alter?
On the speaker box it says buy at your own price...i.e.suggested retail.
the speakers sound ok it depends what you paid if you overpaid.
For example buy raisinettes at the discount shop or the gas station they cost from $.29 to $.75.

As far as stopping a check goes you will probably end up in his court, you wrote the bad check and have his product, and if you sell them when you don't own them who do you think the thief is?
Americe has a tradition of push cart merchants. Don't buy from the guys in the white trucks if you want a brick and mortar store return policy!

Silver Member

Post Number: 714
Hey Can You Hear Me, what happened? Are you the same person that wrote in caps? Somehow, you sound more intelligent now. Maybe it's cause you're not using all caps and actually explaining your point of view.
I can dig that.

You still dont hear me
Unregistered guest
Good Day Isaac
I gather you think you are knowledgeable about acoustic equipment.What speakers do you recommend for $200 apiece? Have you actually heard any of the equipment from the 'white van guys'?

It is simplistic to bad mouth union guys. If you understand what unions did for solitary workers throughout the world you would just SHUT UP ALONG THAT LINE OF DIALOGUE.

I have an interest in individuals getting a fair shake and fair value when they purchase goods or services that is all.

Dont forget that our governments shop lowest price not "MADE IN USA". It is a difficult job market out there today.

This place is about theater research stuff though so have you listened to their products? Caveat Emptor is the buyers guide...

Silver Member

Post Number: 754
Hey "You still dont hear me", are you talking about home stereo or car speakers?
I personally own Paradime dual woofer tower speakers. I normally make my own by purchasing woofer, mid and tweeters along with good 3way crossover and box. I find that's cheaper and offers me more control over the speakers sound quality.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us