Volfenhag amp

Username: Biscuit

Post Number: 4
im going to redo my car system...
i am looking at http://www.woofersetc.com/product.asp?0=487&1=488&3=402
^that amp, and wondering if its really going to be reliable/good with quality --- or if the company is sketchy

im thining about pushing one Rockford Fosgate 12" HX2 1000W Sub with that amp

wondering what you guys think/advice
(if you are one of those who likes to point me toward a different brand.... plz give me examples and dont just say 'go with something else')

thanks for your time!

Silver Member
Username: Theelfkeeper

Stockbridge, GA USA

Post Number: 272
i haven't heard anything good about that brand, and a basic rule about wattage, your gonna pay about $1 per watt for a good amp. (of course getting it online can save you some money though)
i'd look at MTX, rockford or orion. you can find thoes online for a pretty good price.

Post Number: 5
thanks a lot for input =]

Silver Member

Stockbridge, GA USA

Post Number: 274
no problem

Post Number: 6
alright i made a decision, im going to start with
sub: RF Power 12" (1000 watt rms)
amp: RF T10001 Power mono (1000 watt rms @ 1 ohm)

eventually i will double that same setup...
my only question is will i need a capacitor?
or even one for each amp/sub combination?

Silver Member

Stockbridge, GA USA

Post Number: 275
caps just help with amp responce, get one if you want. i'd reccomend 1 per amp.

Bronze Member
Username: _andrew_

Post Number: 25
What kind of car is this going into? I'd suggest checking to see how many amps your alternator puts out.
1000 watts is about 100 more amps to strain your alt - If it's already going to be over juiced, adding a power cap would make the problem worse.

Silver Member
Username: Jwbulger79

Florida

Post Number: 463
jason, with 1000 watts you will most likely need a new high-output alternator. find out how many amps your current alt puts out, the vehicle will need 60% to 80% of that power. for example, if you have a 100A alternator, the car will need 60 to 80 of those amps, leaving you with 20 to 40A for your stereo system.
the safest way to determine how many amps your amplifier will need is to add up the fuse ratings of the amps - i think that amp has a 150A fuse. most likely it wont draw that much current though. another way to calculate current draw is to divide the wattage by 12 (or 10 to be safer) which would mean that amp would need 83A (or 100A).
either way, most stock alternators are'nt meant to handle that much current draw. you'll probably need a 200A alternator. a cap will only add further stress to an underpowered electrical system b/c it also requires charging.
an overstressed electrical system not only causes dimming of the lights and inadequate charging of the battery, but it will kill the alternator and sometimes the amp also.

Bronze Member
Username: Abew330

Camarillo, Ca Usa

Post Number: 45
why do u people always say well u will need to get a better alternator.. blah blah.. it would b better if u get a cap.. the money you'll spend on a alternator will cost u more than buyin a cap..

Silver Member

Florida

Post Number: 472
dude, let me reiterate, a cap will only add more stress to an already stressed electrical system!! do some research and get educated before you start giving advice.

Bronze Member

Camarillo, Ca Usa

Post Number: 51
a cap will not add more stress to the electrical system!!! what do u think a cap does. u think its just for looks? u thinks its there to just look pretty..
you get educated.
tell me.. if u run the same identical system in to cars one with a cap and one with a strongest biggest alternator your car can have.. both cars off.. which one u think will die first!!

all the alternator is for while the car is on! the battery is to start the car then the alternator takes over.. what do u think u have the amp running off of..

i had the same problems that all these people come across. dead car battery, dim lights, amp goes into protection mode.. etc. all of it.. once i got a cap.. every lil problem i had with my own car and others was gone.

Bronze Member

Camarillo, Ca Usa

Post Number: 53
you get your education right b 4 you start talking J.W.

Silver Member

Florida

Post Number: 473
ok, lets clear something up. all a cap does is smooth out peridoic spikes in current demand. If your electrical system is regularly lacking, the ONLY fix is a larger alternator.

a cap will store about 10 or 15 seconds of energy. when the sudden need arrives, such as a heavy bass line, it releases that energy.
a capacitor only stores energy, then releases it. once that happens, the cap will need to be recharged by the battery or alternator, drawing current just like your amps do. if the system is already strained due to the audio system, the charging of the cap will only add more strain. if the alternator is regularly supplying enough power, but every once in a while a heavy bass line requires more current than normal, at that point the cap will smooth out the current demand and momentarily take some stress off of the alternator, but again it will then need to be recharged. it CAN help as long as your electical system in not overstressed to begin with.

http://www.bcae1.com/capacitr.htm
http://www.bcae1.com/charging.htm
http://www.bcae1.com/chargin2.htm

The following text is taken from the FAQ section of www.caraudiocentral.net, one of the most well respected resources for audio on the internet. The author is GLASSWOLF, aka KikiTheCat.

"A capacitor WILL:
-Stiffen voltage rails. If you experience very brief, momentary periods of high current demand that cause the electrical system to falter only at these rare, peak draw times, then a capacitor will supply the additional current needed (when bass hits) to keep your voltage rails stiff, and prevent damage to the car or audio equipment.
-Increase response times for musical accuracy by reducing delay caused by transient response times between current demands from the amplifier, and response to this by the electrical system. In other words, your subs will respond more quickly, because they don't have to wait for the alternator to supply additional current at the moment of demand. Amplifiers have to provide a very dynamic and quick response many times. A capacitor can assist in this if the rest of the charging system is up to par.

A capacitor will NOT:
-replace the need for a larger, high-output alternator and/or a deep-cycle battery or batteries.
If your electrical system is inadequate, the ONLY way to fix this, and again I repeat, the ONLY WAY to fix this, is to replace the alternator. This is the SOLE source of electrical current for your car when the motor is running.
When the motor is turned off, the battery then becomes your source of electricity.
When the battery is run down, and when the capacitor(s) is/are depleted, the alternator has to work even harder in order to supply current to the car, the audio system, and also to recharge the capacitor(s) (which deplete very quickly) as well as recharge the car's battery(ies).
So by adding a capacitor to try taking the place of a high-output alternator, you are actually causing more work for your alternator, and causing even more damage to that stock alternator.
-make your system magically sound 10 times better.

Many people believe that a capacitor adds NO real benefit to an audio system, and this is why you never see before and after demonstrations, or factory capacitor company vehicles at competition events.
A capacitor does have it's uses, but it is not a magical fix for a lacking electrical system.

To calculate the capacitance needed for your system, you will need to find the peak or max power ratings of your amplifiers, and add those together. This is the only time peak amplifier power ratings are even remotely useful, since a capacitor is only used to cover very brief peak demands, and not cover for the continuous amplifier demands.
Take the peak power total and figure 1 farad of capacitance for every 1000 watts of power."
http://www.caraudiocentral.net/forums/showthread.php?t=35

taken from a site that SELLS capacitors:
"Understand of course, that no capacitor is a substitute for an adequate amplifier to provide the amount of bass energy you want to project. Nor will it substitute for an inadequate car power supply. You may have to install a stronger alternator if you have one of the more powerful systems. The rest of your system must also be "up to spec" to serve that purpose."
http://www.electronixwarehouse.com/education/accessories/capacitors.htm

from crutchfield, a store that also sells caps:
"A cap cannot correct a battery or alternator problem, but can alleviate some of the intense current draw associated with brief low frequency musical peaks (like hard bass hits)."
http://www.crutchfield.com/tech/kb146.html

another source that sells caps:
http://cardiscountstereos.com/Alternators.asp

there's your education wilson. no charge.

Bronze Member

Camarillo, Ca Usa

Post Number: 56
still sounds like u need more schooling, its NOT 1 farad for every 1000watts.. its every 500watts per farad..

Silver Member
Username: Southernrebel

Monroe, Louisiana USA

Post Number: 592
abraham....step into the REAL WORLD!

where do you think all the power in your system comes from...YOUR ALT!

Caps can cause more strain on your electrical system. All a cap amounts to is a super-fast battery. I you would read at least one of those links that J.W. posted, you may get some insite into what a cap really does!

V V V here is what J.W. said, and he is 100% right!V V V

"ok, lets clear something up. all a cap does is smooth out peridoic spikes in current demand. If your electrical system is regularly lacking, the ONLY fix is a larger alternator.

a cap will store about 10 or 15 seconds of energy. when the sudden need arrives, such as a heavy bass line, it releases that energy.
a capacitor only stores energy, then releases it. once that happens, the cap will need to be recharged by the battery or alternator, drawing current just like your amps do. if the system is already strained due to the audio system, the charging of the cap will only add more strain. if the alternator is regularly supplying enough power, but every once in a while a heavy bass line requires more current than normal, at that point the cap will smooth out the current demand and momentarily take some stress off of the alternator, but again it will then need to be recharged. it CAN help as long as your electical system in not overstressed to begin with."

Silver Member

Florida

Post Number: 474
lol. whatever buddy.

Silver Member

Florida

Post Number: 475
not you marshall.

Silver Member
Username: Southernrebel

Monroe, Louisiana USA

Post Number: 594
:-)

Bronze Member

Camarillo, Ca Usa

Post Number: 57
J.W. wrote:
"a capacitor only stores energy, then releases it. once that happens, the cap will need to be recharged by the battery or alternator"

so what you are saying is after each bass hit u have to recharge the cap..
and you agree with the fact that caps die very quickly

J.W. copy and paste:
"the ONLY way to fix this, and again I repeat, the ONLY WAY to fix this, is to replace the alternator. This is the SOLE source of electrical current for your car when the motor is running. the battery then becomes your source of electricity."

the battery plus the cap..

J.W. copy and paste:
"When the battery is run down, and when the capacitor(s) is/are depleted, the alternator has to work even harder in order to supply current to the car, the audio system, and also to recharge the capacitor(s) (which deplete very quickly) as well as recharge the car's battery(ies)."

what u think the alternator starts the car.. yes it recharges the battery and supplies current to everything but if ur battery is dead.. what will start the car the strongest alternator u had just put in??? what will u need.. tell me

there's your education j.w. no charge.

Gold Member
Username: Invain

Michigan United States

Post Number: 1956
Man, I wanted to argue about alts with that idiot, but it looks like you guys already took care of it...

Gold Member

Michigan United States

Post Number: 1957
""a capacitor only stores energy, then releases it. once that happens, the cap will need to be recharged by the battery or alternator"

So what you are saying is after each bass hit u have to recharge the cap..
and you agree with the fact that caps die very quickly "

- Yes, when the voltage rails drop low enough, and current is drawn from the cap, the cap will need to recharge whatever current was lost.

- The battery is not the sole source of power for your car. Your alternator PRODUCES the power, and your battery stores it. You seem to like to argue about how caps help help and alts don't when the car is off. If that's the case, then you'd buy a second or even third battery with a battery isolator, and use 1 or 2 soley for your system. Again, if youi take the alt out of the equation, the cap still has to get power from somewhere... hence, your only other option is to get more batteries.

"J.W. copy and paste:
"When the battery is run down, and when the capacitor(s) is/are depleted, the alternator has to work even harder in order to supply current to the car, the audio system, and also to recharge the capacitor(s) (which deplete very quickly) as well as recharge the car's battery(ies)."
what u think the alternator starts the car.. yes it recharges the battery and supplies current to everything but if ur battery is dead.. what will start the car the strongest alternator u had just put in??? what will u need.. tell me "

- I think he knows the battery is the source of power on start-up. What he meens is if the car is running, but your battery is run down. Your alternator will not be able to keep up with the demand to power your system, as well as recharge your battery.

Silver Member

Florida

Post Number: 476
wilson, i'm not going to discuss this topic with you any further until you gain a better understanding of how a vehicle's electrical system and car audio components work. if are not willing to learn, or you simply do not have the brain power to understand these things, well sorry, there's nothing i can do about that. perhaps others can use this thread for reference.

Bronze Member

Camarillo, Ca Usa

Post Number: 58
perhaps i kick your azz.. i know everything u say is correct.. what good is a stronger alternator if your car still dies. what good is that alternator if your car can start because your batt is dead

everybody else stay out of this.. between me an j.w.
joe shut the fuucckk up

Silver Member

Florida

Post Number: 477
"perhaps i kick your azz.."
lol. yeah i'll meet you by the flagpole after school.

and wilson, there is nothing "between" you and i, so have some respect for senior members of this board; joe has almost 2,000 post in which he has helped those willing to learn. take your stubborn, hateful attitute to another forum.

this thread is finished.

Bronze Member

Camarillo, Ca Usa

Post Number: 59
i dont give a sh!t of how many post joe, you or anybody has. i'll post whatever i want where ever i want

Gold Member

Michigan United States

Post Number: 1970
And you'll keep making an a.s.s out of yourself too. Whatever floats your boat.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us