Alpine Type R or Atlas

Bronze Member
Username: Algirard1

OH United States

Post Number: 56
Which sub has better spl and which one has better sq. I have narrowed it down to these two subs. I listen to rap and some rock so I mainly want spl but I could also use some sq. Which sub would you guys suggest?

Gold Member
Username: James1115

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 2170
atlas!

Bronze Member

OH United States

Post Number: 57
Would the two Atlas 12" in my ford ranger extended cab be good. Also what size box would you recommend? I heard 2 ft^3 tuned to around 32 is good for one Atlas.

Silver Member
Username: Jwbulger79

Florida

Post Number: 436
i've got it in a 1.5ft^3 sealed enclosure. i installed a potentiometer in my console that allows me to adjusts the Qts of the driver. with the low Qts setting it sounds like a great SQ sub in a sealed enclosure. when i adjust the Qts to a higher setting, it adds that extra "bump" at the low end, like a ported enclosure does to the sound. it's like having two drivers/enclosures and being able to switch with each song you listen to. i highly recommend it. honestly, i dont think there is any contest b/w the atlas and the type-r. the atlas uses the XBL2 motor, the same as the adire brahma and RE x.x.x. i'm only giving it 230 watts and it blows away setups with twice the power. of course i'm biased, but i really dont think there is anything that can touch it in it's power range, and the adjustable Qts feature is just plain cool.

Bronze Member

OH United States

Post Number: 58
what amp would you suggest to run two atlas 12"'s

Gold Member

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 2172
Kicker 600.1,JBL BP 600.1 anything good with about 500-600 clean watts.

Silver Member

Florida

Post Number: 437
i'm running it with a memphis amp. the thing is, they are 4ohm subs, so for two of them you will need to find a 4-channel amp and bridge both the front and rear channels to 4 ohms each or get a mono amp that does 500 to 700 watts at 2 ohms.
just give them each 250 to 350 watts of good clean power and you'll be suprised what they can do.

Silver Member

Florida

Post Number: 438
holy sh1t. i dont think you could do any better than this amp.

Silver Member

Florida

Post Number: 439
how's the avalanche bangin' james? did you see my post in the speaker section about the ascendant audio comps? i'm excited about 'em!

Silver Member

Florida

Post Number: 440
yeah, the jbl 600.1 would be sweet also for two atlas'.

Bronze Member

OH United States

Post Number: 59
Have you measured it to see what numbers you get.

Silver Member

Florida

Post Number: 441
i sure havent. none of my friends have ever measured their systems either so i dont know what to tell you bud. i can tell you that it shakes the fu(k out of my 4runner with 220ft^2 of sound deadening. you can feel it in your back, girls can feel it in their a$$' so i'm told ;) and it hurts your ears to listen to real loud for more than a few seconds if that helps any :-)

Bronze Member

OH United States

Post Number: 60
Sounds Perfect. Just what I want. Thanks for all the help!

Silver Member

Florida

Post Number: 443
no prob alan. you wont be dissapointed. call ascendant audio and ask to talk to chad. tell him you were talking to J.W., the guy with that installed the potentiometer, and he'll tell you exactly what will work well for your truck. he's more than willing to talk with you for a while. i've called a number of times and every time i talk to him he sincerely tells me to call anytime i have a question.
the variable Qts feature is freakin awesome. i leave it on the high Qts setting most of the time b/c i listen to rap mostly, but if i want to listen to soft sh1t like norah jones (shut up ya'll) i'll turn it to the low Qts setting. that setting is also good if your listening to rap and your ears get tired; it'll give you VERY tight bass which is actually better in my opinion for some rap songs with fast hitting bass lines.

Silver Member
Username: Bnd_rulez

Phoenix, AZ USA

Post Number: 171
Norah Jones... nice.

Silver Member
Username: Bnd_rulez

Phoenix, AZ USA

Post Number: 172
Anyways yeah, Atlas all the way!

Silver Member
Username: Alpineuser

Post Number: 131
put it this way..read my name and im gonna order to avalanche 15s next week :-)

Gold Member

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 2185
I thought you were changing your name? lol! Hey J.W I just got the Orion HCCA 250G4 so I am waiting to get that put in I cant wait, but for now off of my ppi a600 it is so sweet I just cant wait to give it the extra power that the 250 offers over the a600. Yeah man I read your post about the comps and that kinda gets me pissed cause I just bought a pair of the A/D/S 346 CS's but I got a really good deal on them so I am not gonna complain. As far as contacting Chad he is one of the coolest dudes to talk to and always willing to talk for as long as you need him to. I hate companies that try to answer your question fast and get you off the phone thats not the way he is at all. I highly recomend Ascendant Audio!:-)

Silver Member
Username: Alpineuser

Post Number: 134
im gonna change it as soon as i get them installed :-)

Gold Member

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 2187
hahahahaha nice!

Silver Member
Username: Erik123456

Arlington, Tx

Post Number: 487
is the atlas at the level of the w7 or ti?

Gold Member

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 2188
I am not really sure I have never heard an atlas but I do have an avalanche and it is very comparable to those subs. J.W would be able to tell you if the Atlas has any flaws that would put it a step under those mentioned or not. I have had JL w7,w6v2,and the old w6's also Adire Brahma and my Avalanche is very very satisfying:-)
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us