Stereo vs Mono amp?

Username: Smitts

Post Number: 5
I currently have 2 audiobahn high excursion 12's rated at 700w rms each. They are dual 4 ohm voice coils. I recently ordered a lanzar(don't hate) vibe258 and plan to run a sub on each channel at a 2ohm load with the coils in paralell, giving each sub 650w rms. Are there any advantages to using mono instead of stereo like I plan to? I could put the subs in a series/parallel configuration and bridge the amp to 1x800w rms at 4ohms, but that'd be far under the power handling of each sub right? I'm asking because the audiobahn manual doesn't show any configurations with a 2-channel amp. It makes me feel like mono is better. Is it?

Silver Member
Username: Fishy

Tamarac Ft.Laud, FL USA

Post Number: 875
Yep, gets rid of any channel imbalances, either in the amp itself or from the source. Oh and there's something screwy in those specs. If you're actually getting 650 watts rms in 2 ohm stereo you ought to be gettin 1300 watts bridged into 4 ohms. The only amps I've seen that don't follow this general rule are some of Zapco's high-end stuff.

-Fishy

Username: Smitts

Post Number: 6
I'm confused. The specs say 2x650w rms at 2 ohms or 1x1600w max bridged at 4 ohm mono. Do these specs sound right? Even the manual states these specs. Every amp I've seen has been higher power at lower impedance. So should I run mono or stereo? Seems like 2ohms at stereo will give me more power per sub.

Gold Member
Username: Jmloughrey

Farmington, CT

Post Number: 1143
....yea but its still a lanzar and you'll be lucky if it puts out half that power...

Gold Member
Username: James1115

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 2173
normally they say you get about 1watt/dollar spent. so if you buy a 1400 watt amp for $200 chances are you are getting about 200 watts.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us