Alpine Type X seprates

Bronze Member
Username: Steelheadgoof

Fairfield, California US

Post Number: 53
I am in the market for some new front seprates and I am looking into the alpine SPX-177R. But they sound like crap on my sound board, never heard them else where, have any of you? Any input would be great.

Silver Member
Username: Theelfkeeper

Stockbridge, GA USA

Post Number: 238
i had a set (SPX-177A, last years model) and they blew off of 100 watts (clean) within 3 months, wasn't impressed with sound either, replaced with Boston RC-620's and they are great.

Bronze Member

Fairfield, California US

Post Number: 58
so it isnt my board, cool. Have you heard the eclipse companent the sc8264.

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 3620
I haven't been a fan of Alpines speakers and subs over the years, the new Type-X is a good sub, but IMO it gets beaten by others in the price range still. Haven't heard the F#1 status components, but of course they're based on Scanspeak Revelator drivers and Alpine tweaked them for the car environment. Haven't heard the newer Eclipse components, the old ones were nice and smooth, but a lot has changed, now they have titanium tweets and the mid looks like a different design, so I can't comment. How much do you have to spend?

Bronze Member

Fairfield, California US

Post Number: 60
well around 400, but it has to be either mb quart, eclipse, jl, or alpine, since i can get them through my sales reps at accomodation prices. so many speakers to choose from and the all sound so good. My XRs are decent but i think i can do better. I have been looking at the PCE 216 quarts, but ever since fosgate bought them they have not been the same. Thinking of waiting for the ZR components, but they wont be out until July. What would you reccommend, it does not HAVE to be on of those brands.

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 3627
The XRs are pretty good, I used them for a little while, know what you mean though, they weren't my cup of tea either. Saying I haven't heard the Eclipse components, I'd probably go with the Quarts out of your list above.

If I did components different than those, I'd look into Adire Audio Koda components, you can look at them here:
http://www.acoustic-visions.com/~acoustic/products/speakers/car_audio/adire_koda _6-1_component.shtml
also look for CDT HDs, Infinity Kappa Perfects (IF you like a brighter sound), Diamond Audio HEX series.

Bronze Member

Fairfield, California US

Post Number: 63
thanx

Silver Member
Username: Bnd_rulez

Phoenix, AZ USA

Post Number: 248
Is that F1 Status stuff worth the buck? Or would it be better to purchase like DLS or Dynaudio and such?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us