Pulsing signal

MrSpeakerMan
Unregistered guest
I have a 40x4 Pioneer deck on four 6.5" 150watt max mids, and two Sony Xplod 12"s which used to be on one Sony Xplod 500W amp. I recently got a Blitz Lightning Audio 900w max amp (Piece of crap in my opinion, but it could just be a wiring problem thus far). When I tried to install it, the subs would thump in a slow pattern. I used to get that occasionally on the other amp. I usually just reran some wires and it went away. Well now it won't do anything but that, and when I hook it up to the 900w it thumps in a very high frequency. More of a loud drone. My only real guess is the remote wire is loose or the power wire isn't getting a good signal. This was all installed by myself and some friends, one of which broke my f'king dashboard trying to get my old radio out...

I don't want that 150 to be a waste on that supposedly 900w amp.

Silver Member
Username: Southernrebel

Monroe, Louisiana USA

Post Number: 501
do you get the pulsing sound when there is no music playing or what? I used to have a problem kind of like that...my problem ended up being a ground-loop.

also, what is the amp fused at?

MrSpeakerMan
Unregistered guest
Both amps have two visible 25A fuses. The pulsing only seems to occur when it's getting a signal from the headunit, thus why I thought it was the remote wire.

Silver Member

Monroe, Louisiana USA

Post Number: 503
Those amps prolly only make about 450-500wrms each at the most. Blitz is really a lower-end brand...they are along the lines of sony and boss.

Its prolly not your Remote wire...if the remote wire was becoming disconnected, the amps would completly shut off. Check all your wires and make sure you have a good connection. Run your RCA's on the opposite side of the car from your power wire. And make sure you have a solid gound no more than 2ft long if possible. Also, you may want to check and see if your HU has a good power and ground.

oh...what guage power and ground wire are you using? and do your head-lite dim?

MrSpeakerMan
Unregistered guest
My headlights don't dim, but the interior lights do. Wire is 14 or 12 guage. Ground isn't a guaged wire. I should probably invest in higher-quality wiring. And it's not Blitz, it's Bolt -- Lightning Audio. Got the name wrong. Looks like a nice amp.

MrSpeakerMan
Unregistered guest
Actually, not all interior lights dim, just the dash and cd player, but those dimmed even when I had the bass up before I had the 12"s put in.

I wanted to hook the old 500W up to my mids and get some tweeters, but I don't think my 87 Honda could handle it.

Silver Member

Monroe, Louisiana USA

Post Number: 506
So your power and ground wires are 12-14ga...yea, you need bigger power and ground wires. Get 8ga for that amp at least.

Lightning Audio is lower-midgrade at best.

I dont think your alt will be able to handle the extra 500w amp...especially if you are gettin dimming now.

MrSpeakerMan
Unregistered guest
Alright, thanks for the reaffirmation. Guess I need to get some better wiring. Probably sell the old amp and buy a 1.0 farad cap. Maybe new cd player too.

MrSpeakerMan
Unregistered guest
Alright, thanks for the reaffirmation. Guess I need to get some better wiring. Probably sell the old amp and buy a 1.0 farad cap. Maybe new cd player too.

naMrekaepSrM
Unregistered guest
Turns out the power cord I had was actually 4 guage, not 12-14. I bought a kit anyways, and installed the fuse next to the battery, and used a better ground cable. Hooked up the new amp, and it was playing alright, if a little weak and distorted, but when I turned the signal boost up it got loud and distorted. I cleaned up the installation. Thinking the amp itself might be bad or something.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us