Non-rediculously expensive 15" sub with good SQ?

strode
Unregistered guest
hey i just blew my 12" infinity perfect that i've had forever, and i'm pretty sure i'm gonna go back to a 15" since i listen to a lot of drum&bass music. i have an xtant 1001d, 500w RMS mono stable down to 1 ohm. i'd like to run it at 2 ohms (1000w RMS) to a single 15. i have a 1 farad monster cap, but i drive an '01 civic, so i don't know if it can handle the load of 2000w that it would run at 1 ohm, but maybe someone on here can tell me otherwise. i also have an alpine 40w x 4 RMS amp running my mids.

ANYWAY, i can't afford a w7 (sorry yo) and i was looking at a couple other models. i'd like decent SQ over rediculously loud bass, but most of the jams i listen to have real low sub-bass and i've kinda been missing that with the 12". so i was looking at maybe an audiobahn 1506T, but i hear audiobahn is kinda skimpy on sound quality(?). there aren't any rockford speakers that i won't overpower, and i don't really want kickers. i'm also overpowering a w6, or else i'd look into one of those. and alpine doesn't make the type X in a 15. i saw a speaker by elemental design on ebay, a flat piston 15, but i couldn't find anything out about it and i don't know if its a dual 4 or 2 ohm voice coil.

but i've ranted long enough. ANY SUGGESTIONS would be super awesome.

Silver Member
Username: Tragedy

San Jose, CA

Post Number: 184
james has the avalanche 15" and the sq is awesome as stated by him. i believe your looking at power handling of around 800rms with that one so its within your range. not sure the ohms on the sub but thats an option and they are only $299?

check there website ascendantaudio.com

Bronze Member
Username: Pharoh

Bradford, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 75
Ive just recently heard the Ava 15 and it sounds amazing. All for recomendations here : D. James told me he and Chad(Ascendant Audio Owner) are very pleased with the Ava 15's he has.

strode
Unregistered guest
i checked those out, and they look pretty sweet, but it looks like they are only a dual 2-ohm voice coil. can you hook an amp up to only one voice coil? if you could, i guess that would work fairly well, but if not, then i'm running 2000w to it. (unless i go series but i don't think that will be loud enough). i've never tried just hoooking one voice coil up though.

Gold Member
Username: James1115

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 2127
dont hook up just one coil. You can run two 400 watt amps. 1 to each coil. that will give you 2ohms per amp. The sub is a very nice sub but what I would do is sell your amp if possable and get a new one for the same price or save a little more money and then buy a REXXX and run that amp to it at 1ohm.

Gold Member
Username: Jmloughrey

Farmington, CT

Post Number: 1114
ascendant subs are actually single voice coil subs...

Silver Member
Username: Southernrebel

Monroe, Louisiana USA

Post Number: 498
Jeff,

I'm pretty sure the AA Avalanche is a DVC 2ohm sub. I think you may be thinking about the AA Atlas. It has one 4ohm coil (that you power) and one 2ohm coil (that is used to change the T/S on the sub).

Gold Member

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 2130
yup marshall is right!

strode
Unregistered guest
james my xtant is almost five years old, and has been used a lot. it still works fine, but i don't think i'm going to get more than $200-300 for it. i really want to keep it anyway.

strode
Unregistered guest
what about a diamond audio D9 or a soundstream T4? i have no idea how much these cost. or an elemental design 15A-22?

strode
Unregistered guest
so i veto'ed the 15" idea and ended up getting an alpine type X 12" brand new with a box for $220 plus shipping on ebay. good deal?

Gold Member

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 2136
yeah thats a pretty good deal.

Gold Member

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 2136
yeah thats a pretty good deal.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums